Whelen Liberty LED - Can't find Scan-Lock wire

lfguard10

May 30, 2010
Pearisburg, Virginia
I have traced down the ends of the gray and black harnesses to my lightbar under my console, but the Scan-Lock wire isn't there. ???????? To my understanding, one of the harnesses is a power harness and should only be two wires. The other should be a 17-wire harness, but these two have about 4 or 5 wires in them. Is it possible the wire doesn't even come down that far and is up next to the bar itself? The pattern this thing is on MUST be changed at once. It's horrible lol

Here is the wiring code from one of my Libertys (Mine has the 17 wre function wire cable):

Wire Color Function Fuse

GREEN . . . . . .Front Corner LEDs . . . . . . 1 AMP

BLUE . . . . . . .Rear Corner LEDs . . . . . . 1 AMP

GRN/WHT. . . .Front Outboard LEDs . . . . 1 AMP

BLU/WHT . . . .Rear Outboard LEDs . . . . 1 AMP

GRN/BLK . . . .Front Inboard LEDs . . . . . 1 AMP

BLU/BLK . . . .Rear Inboard LEDs . . . . . 1 AMP

WHT/GRN. . . Right TA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 AMP

WHT/BLU . . . Flashing Alley & T.D.’s . . . 1 AMP

YELLOW . . . Pass.-Side Alley Lights . . . 1 AMP

WHITE . . . . . Driver-Side Alley Lights. . . 1 AMP

WHT/BLK . . . Take-Down Lights . . . . . . . 1 AMP

WHT/ORG . . Cruise Lights & AUX . . . . . 1 AMP

WHT/YEL . . . . . Left TA . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 AMP

WHT/BRN . . . . .Rear Center LEDs . . . 1 AMP

VIOLET . . . . . . .Hi/Low Power. . . . 0.5 AMPS

WHT-VIO . . . . . .Scan-Lock™. . . . . .0.5 AMPS

WHT/RED. . . . . .Front Center LEDs . . . 1 AMP

NONE. . . . . . . . .RFI shield drain / to ground

Activating WHT/GRN + WHT/YEL = Split TA

It would appear that you are seking a WHT-VIO wire among those in your harness(s). Do you have one of these in the wires that are connected to your Liberty?

All of my wires out of those are solid colors. There are no striped wires. I'm not sure if this is the wrong ones or what. But under the lightbar, going into the roof, are a black harness and a gray harness. These (I'm assuming) come out under the console. I don't really need the scan-lock wire at the console, I just want to know where it is so I can change these patterns.

My liberty bar had the main power harness. The control harness and the small gray sheathed wire for ballast control. So 3 wires out of the bar. The old style ballast led.

STP, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Those are the same colored wires in the harness under my console. Dumb question here, but what is considered "Ballast A" and "Ballast B" and so on?

lfguard10 said:
STP, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Those are the same colored wires in the harness under my console. Dumb question here, but what is considered "Ballast A" and "Ballast B" and so on?

Each ballast controls a certain pair or pairs of lights. You can change the pattern for each ballast or set separately.

Ok I'm getting quite irritated with this bar. I went back under the console and here's what I found w/ the harness. The gray harness has a red, white, and green wire, all 3 running to the switch panel. It has a black and orange wire going to the ground. It also has a blue wire that is just clipped off and isn't used.

The black harness has a white wire and a green wire running to the switch panel, with a black wire and a bare wire going to the ground.

I tried applying 12V to the blue wire w/ nothing happening. If it helps, this is the Liberty Economy version bar. There is no striped wiring anywhere in either harness.

lfguard10 said:
Ok I'm getting quite irritated with this bar. I went back under the console and here's what I found w/ the harness. The gray harness has a red, white, and green wire, all 3 running to the switch panel. It has a black and orange wire going to the ground. It also has a blue wire that is just clipped off and isn't used.

The black harness has a white wire and a green wire running to the switch panel, with a black wire and a bare wire going to the ground.

I tried applying 12V to the blue wire w/ nothing happening. If it helps, this is the Liberty Economy version bar. There is no striped wiring anywhere in either harness.

You have an Economy Liberty. It doesn't sound like you have the optional scan lock cable installed. You will have to open the bar to change patterns. There are two ULF22 flashers inside, one for the front, one for the rear. The scanlock wire is missing out of the connector on the flasher. You'll have to use a piece of wire to activate the scanlock function on each flasher.

http://www.whelen.com/install/139/13990.pdf

http://www.whelen.com/install/139/13928.pdf

Thanks a lot Philter. It's supposed to be decent weather here tomorrow so I'll attempt that. Hope it works. It's on that ugly-ass SignalAlert pattern that does 3 cycles of alternating and 3 cycles of simultaneous. I'll let ya' know how it turns out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381