Whelen Liberty Moisture Issue

twg2984

Jun 2, 2013
Birmingham, AL
So after a good rain, moisture collects in my liberty lightbar. If i turn ANY function of the bar on, the two outer front LEDS also turn on and WILL NOT turn off until i disconnect the battery. Anyone else every experienced this? Link below for video

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yeah its pretty well known the Liberty bars like their water. They recently redesigned the endcaps and i believe lense spacers to seal better (and released the new version the Libert II) the corners circuit boards are partly exposed and right where moisture gets in the tracks. Moisture buildup in the bar could have damaged the I/O board. Pull the endcaps, slide the corners out, and remove the top piece of the frame (four Torx screws on top) then you can check the board and lightheads for moisture damage.

twg2984

Jun 2, 2013
Birmingham, AL
So I was in the process of doing that when you replied. I took the top off and this bar looks like it's a cross between a liberty and liberty two. It has liberty 2 inboard modules but liberty one corner modules. Nevertheless I took the top off and the board is sealed in silicone. I did notice two additional output plugs and swapped the ones the malfunctioning modules were attached to. This fixed the problem. Could it just be bad outputs on just those two modules on the board ?

Yeah its pretty well known the Liberty bars like their water. They recently redesigned the endcaps and i believe lense spacers to seal better (and released the new version the Libert II) the corners circuit boards are partly exposed and right where moisture gets in the tracks. Moisture buildup in the bar could have damaged the I/O board. Pull the endcaps, slide the corners out, and remove the top piece of the frame (four Torx screws on top) then you can check the board and lightheads for moisture damage.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Holy crap. I hadn't watched the video because Im mobile but just watched. That must be a very new bar, and has the new style endcaps and such. Regardless, should be under warranty still! Moisture can creep through electronics like mice getting into your house, just because its working right now doesnt mean it will be long, especially since its still leaking. Take that thing out of service before it fails at the wrong time!

twg2984

Jun 2, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Holy crap. I hadn't watched the video because Im mobile but just watched. That must be a very new bar, and has the new style endcaps and such. Regardless, should be under warranty still! Moisture can creep through electronics like mice getting into your house, just because its working right now doesnt mean it will be long, especially since its still leaking. Take that thing out of service before it fails at the wrong time!
It's a nice bar but I don't believe it is a wecan. Very odd how it has the new modules and the old modules. It is scheduled for service this coming Friday. Hopefully they will get all of the kinks worked out of it. Thank you so much for your reply and helpful information

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
I know this is just a temporary solution, but what about taking off the exterior lens covers in the sun (to rapidly remove moisture), then after a few hours in the sun move it into an air conditioned garage & blow it out with canned air. Then, before reassembling, put a few packets of silica sand in it (away from any parts that get hot) to help further dry it out. I know it sounds like a 'redneck' idea, but it's a temporary solution until you can get it in the shop.

twg2984

Jun 2, 2013
Birmingham, AL
I know this is just a temporary solution, but what about taking off the exterior lens covers in the sun (to rapidly remove moisture), then after a few hours in the sun move it into an air conditioned garage & blow it out with canned air. Then, before reassembling, put a few packets of silica sand in it (away from any parts that get hot) to help further dry it out. I know it sounds like a 'redneck' idea, but it's a temporary solution until you can get it in the shop.
I took the top plate off and blew it with the hair dryer . The only thing that worked was switching those output plugs. Maybe one bad module. Everything else was dried to the bone. Gonna see about getting some new deals on it when I turn it in to the shop for service. Thanks for all the help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.