Whelen MPC01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Question for all, what whelen bars can be controlled by the MPC01? Also does it have to have the BL amp to run the bar? Can I hook up any whelen strobe bar to this controller? Thanks!!

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
There are a couple different versions of the MPC01 out there I believe but they either control the B-Link bar or the 9M Ultra series.

You don't need anything else to run the bar. Just the control head. The control head must be programmed for the specific bar though.

If you add other items (like a BL627) to the setup you have to reprogram the control head to run them.

It can only be used on a serial controlled bar (that has the blue, grey, and unshielded wire to control it). It won't work on anything else.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Thank you for the quick reply! I should have stated though, if I want to run a siren and buy a MPC01 with a BL627 amp (I think?) what does that BL amp actually do? Drive the siren?

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Awesome! Thanks again! Reason for the whole questioning is I can get a MPC01 with the amp for relatively cheap money. A member on here might sell me a BLINK lightbar by itself so I am hoping to put the two together to get them to work.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Here is the skinny since my SC primer disappeared and I haven't had the time to rewrite it..

The MPC01 is the light/siren controller for the BLINK and SC (aka serial) lightbars and componets. It will control the BL10000 and SC series bars and any componets that have BL in the model number: BL627 (100/200 watt siren amp), BL2150 headlight flasher, BL (or ISP) 94 strobe power supplies, etc. The "F" revision or better supports the SC series bars (Ultra SC, Liberty SC, Patriot SC).

The MPC02 is the same, but only feature light controls. No siren functions.

Both the MPC01 and MPC02 REQUIRES the Whelen Transporter interface box to program. All light and siren functions are programmed into the box. Plugging a BL627 into a MPC01 does not guarentee that all the siren functions will work "out of the box" as some of the siren functions may not have been programmed or programmed differently.

The MPC03 is the Cencom looking head and only requires the software and a USB cable to work. The transporter is not used.

In terms of finding equipment...its feast/famine. BL627's typically go for 75-100 on ebay and controllers run around $100 or so as well. Shop around.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Thank you! Well someone has a MPC01 on ebay included with the BL627 amp and it was removed as a set. So lets say I buy that, then hook it up to a bar I bought on here, a BL10000 (I believe) it should work right? Or atleast it will work to what the previous user had it programmed it to?

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
As stated above...only if the box was rogrammed for the same type of bar (and options). There is no universal setting. I think there where 8 standard bl10000 configurations. If you have a ih08 and its programmed for s ib02 some of the functions may work some may not. If its programmed for a ultra bar and your using a bl10000 or patriot or liberty nothing is going to work.

LightBars4Sale.com

Dec 9, 2010
Norton Ohio 44203
just read this thread on a search - my question - is the MPC01 a fancy controller for the 9M ultra - or is it required (?) to run the bar - what features does the MPC01 offer that a regular PCCS switchbox won't do?

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
LightBarsForSale.com said:
just read this thread on a search - my question - is the MPC01 a fancy controller for the 9M ultra - or is it required (?) to run the bar - what features does the MPC01 offer that a regular PCCS switchbox won't do?

An MPC01 is not a fancy controller for a serial controlled Ultra lightbar, it is a standard controller. One of three actually. There is also the MPC02 and MPC03 which have different functions/overall appearance, but control the same line of lightbar and add ons (siren, headlight flasher, relays, halogen flasher, ...).

Unless you go into the bar and yank out the main relay board, and then proceed to completely rewire the entire bar [thus sacrificing any benefit to having a serial controlled bar], you will need a serial controller. As I understand the PCCS controller is COMPLETELY different technology and the two are not the least bit compatible. A PCCS controller will control a diagnostic bar [i think that is what it is called] only.

LightBars4Sale.com

Dec 9, 2010
Norton Ohio 44203
so i need help here - what is serial versus matrix... i am aok on the diagnostic board knowledge.... There are several PCC controllers- the PCDS-9 is the one that will run the diagnostic ONLY. There are other PCC - as below

http://www.whelen.com/install/133/13320.pdf

controls the matrix relay boards

http://www.whelen.com/install/133/13315.pdf

the larger switchbox with relays

so what is the benefit to serial controlled - just need the refresher ....pppplease

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
LightBarsForSale.com said:
so what is the benefit to serial controlled

What a good looking question. I have limited experience with serial controlled so I'm sure someone has more insight, but I would venture to say the draw to it is that:

(1) Smaller/less wires to run between components

(2) Integrated system with some diagnostic capabilities

(3) Programmable system with lots o' options (dual amp siren, different flash patterns, etc.)

(4) A whole fleet of vehicles can be setup exactly the same way (hardware and software)

I think if you have many vehicles it makes sense. Otherwise for just one person and their POV it is kind of a complicated system. I got a good deal on an entire setup so I jumped on it. That is the only reason I started learning about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.