Whelen Par 46 Dual Color

Yeah, that does not look to be very effective at all. If that's genuine Whelen, then it's a big disappointment.

This does look like the real deal! Here is the link from Whelen. The diode setup in the video is exactly the same as the pic...

Whelen Engineering - Lightheads - Lightheads, Directional Strobe, Super-LED®, LED, Halogen & Combination

I could retrofit two Feniex t4's and two tomar rect 13's and achieve a much more effective warning light than this. Possibly quad stack four Feniex t4's ( two spot white/two 35 degree lenses color) Dual color as well...if I only had a little extra money lying around and a spare untiy spotlight!

Someone needs to try this out...the things I think of! lol

I don't really see the point of using the spotlight for warning on top of mirror beams.

Pretty harsh considering what we know about how useless it is to judge the quality of a light by a video. I would have hoped for a different LED arrangement, but we'll see. I like the idea.

I do not know why this video shows the output so poorly. Thu unit I have is very impressive in output. The warning output is the sinle most intense colored warning light on my vehicle.

Perhaps someone can post a better video?

Like I said before. Someone needs to mount four feniex t4's on a circular piece of abs plastic that is retrofitted on the untity spotlight housing. Top and bottom will be white takedowns. Two middle will be solid color, no splits. Use a sho me stt flasher to flash white vs color for warning/steady burn white for takedowns...very effective imo...

Some fresh videos. Shot with iPhone 4s in HD. Any degradation is due to YouTube, as these videos are very nice on my laptop. It was pretty sunny out, that post-rain sunshine was in full effect. I think these are a bit more representative of the output of the light, although they still don;t capture what the eye sees.

The new videos do show it as being highly effective. :thumbsup: Couldn't imagine Whelen turning out something that was as poor as the first video suggested.

What's the point of such a device (primarily meant to search) alternating White with an emergency color, given the amount of lights already on a patrol car ?

Video of light in use. Target subject is just under 300 feet away. I hope this video will help with understanding that this is a tactical tool more than a warning tool (IMO), if that makes sense.

I cycle through the modes to show the spotlight's effectiveness at lighting up an area, the strength of the blue signal, and the capability of the dual-color signal to disorient/distract. I may have the hotspot aimed a bit low, but I think it still shows the effects well enough.

so..... I really like it BUT i cant get of my head how much of the "spot" power is lost because the color modules mixed.

Question:

Prices?

How do you hook it up / run it?? Do i have to run it to the switch box for warning mode and override on the actual spotlight handle itself for "spot" mode?

It's all hooked up via the unity switch, it doesn't have external wiring for you to connect it to your switch box. I believe you "toggle" the modes with the switch.

These would look rather cool on a roof rack bar for off roading imo.. (and secondary fire/ems/pd response) After seeing all the videos I'm rather impressed.

Any idea on cost?

(and sweet, they are available in green...) Looks like my next ride is going to have a set of unity spotlights.. Maybe thats all it will have for front warning... Don't think it would need anything more with two of these bad boys... :cool:

Ok, now I'm really confused!!!

The first few videos show the colored leds as the 6 in the middle, and all the outer leds as the white "spotlight"

Then you see the white car in one of the last videos at a convention, and the white 'spotlight" are the 6 leds in the middle, and the reds are the outer leds...Well, which is it?

Are they available either way? I would rather have more RED to use for my steady burn warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colored middle is standard. The colored outer is a special variant for California customers. It is special order and not cataloged.

Or so I was told.

C2Installs said:
Colored middle is standard. The colored outer is a special variant for California customers. It is special order and not cataloged.

Or so I was told.

Ahh, that makes sense. I want one to use mainly as my red steady burn in my spotlight, and If I really like it, I will get two more to replace the GE4001R bulbs on the front of my motorcycle.

I'm still unsure whether to get the red spot, or red flood style. The tech at Whelen says that they are both the same brightness, just that the flood is better at off-axis.

TheGatekeeper said:
What's the point of such a device (primarily meant to search) alternating White with an emergency color, given the amount of lights already on a patrol car ?
Back in the day the spot lights were warning lights. Who says a patrol car has to have a large amount of lights before this? Thats like saying, what is the point of mirror lights?

Here is an example of a good old light. One side spot light, one side flashing red light.

ai737.photobucket.com_albums_xx13_theroofable_Firehouse_P1110108.jpg

We're going to be putting a pair of these on our new Dodge Ram Special Services demo pickup, one white/blue and one white/red. I'm guessing they're more intended to be used inside actual Par 46 housings, rather than on Unity spotlights. However, they'd be a good upgrade for slick-top vehicles with dual spotlights (I can also see these being used for California Title XIII applications).

theroofable said:
Back in the day the spot lights were warning lights. Who says a patrol car has to have a large amount of lights before this? Thats like saying, what is the point of mirror lights?

Here is an example of a good old light. One side spot light, one side flashing red light.

ai737.photobucket.com_albums_xx13_theroofable_Firehouse_P1110108.jpg

As you say "back in the day"... when emergency lights were down to a ratating beacon on the roof..I realize that.

But nowadays it seems useless to me given the amount of lights already installed on a patrol vehicle.

TheGatekeeper said:

View attachment 36982

Never mind the disorientation factor for individuals who are fleeing while being illuminated by it.

Nah I don't buy that !

Corner LEDs, wig-wags, HAW all cover that angle. There is no added value to a flashing red search light in that scenario, unless the EV is ONLY equipped with a spotlight !!

TheGatekeeper said:
Nah I don't buy that !
Corner LEDs, wig-wags, HAW all cover that angle. There is no added value to a flashing red search light in that scenario, unless the EV is ONLY equipped with a spotlight !!

Only wigwags compare in intensity. You're entitled to your opinion though.

If all you see is one headlight, it rates the same to the average person as someone wanting to pass and flashing their high beams.

Foglight/below bumper lights have little use at close distance. Hide-away LED's generally aren't that bright at all.

The key things to understand is that Intensity attracts attention, but Color Identifies. If color wasn't a big deal as far as recognition and identification of an emergency vehicle requesting/commanding/desiring Right of Way.... then why do we have all these fancy laws regarding light colors?

I guess you haven't seen the videos that a member here has made (and posted earlier) about exactly how bright and how effective they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your arguments fail to convince me.

However likewise, you are entitled to your opinion.

I have had one of these for about two weeks now. I would not go back to NOT having it. It has proven to be very useful. It provides me the ability of being able to aim or direct my warning power to places I my other warning lights will not warn. I've also been able to aim it at oncoming cars I've wanted to pull over and had them actually pull over. It has proven to be very valuable.

It's versatility is unmatched by any of my emergency lights on my car..... and I have quite a bit of emergency lighting.

ar6423 said:
I have had one of these for about two weeks now. I would not go back to NOT having it. It has proven to be very useful. It provides me the ability of being able to aim or direct my warning power to places I my other warning lights will not warn. I've also been able to aim it at oncoming cars I've wanted to pull over and had them actually pull over. It has proven to be very valuable.

It's versatility is unmatched by any of my emergency lights on my car..... and I have quite a bit of emergency lighting.

Glad to hear it. Very similar to my experience...now wait for the naysayers to opine.

It is great for night shift work.

ar6423 said:

Wow didnt even think about directing it at a specific oncoming vehicle you want to move over. That is a great tool in that aspect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmoyer1