Whelen Patriot powersupply question

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hi!

I have heard that the Whelen Patriot powersupplies usually does not have a long lifetime.

Is this just a false rumor or what?

I also heard that the older Whelen Edge powersupplies lasted much longer than Patriot powersupplies??

What do you think? Any experience about this?

Greetings

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
I have many of both and yes its true. The mini patroits have a big time problem with the

power supplys going out but what I did was custom made a couple of power supplys to

fit the frame as the power supply is part of the structure to hold the bar together, this is

not 100 percent true as I have replaced many with custom made supplys.

My custom power supplys throw out 20 watts per strobe reflector compared to the typical

12.5 or 15 watt fromthe factory so my bars are brighter also.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
From all the ones I dealt with for Detroit PD, they do tend to change in how they sound (they get noisier) then they fail.

Sometimes letting smoke out into the bars. But these where with the fully potted supplies that didn't have the wiring having connectors (able to unplug the cables from under the power supply) The newer ones did fail too, but not as much as the older ones.

I have 2 now that one makes alot more noise than the other. so it's a matter of time before that goes bad.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Here is a videoclip of my Whelen Patriot, I guess it has a somewhat "bad noise" .... or what?

(Sorry for the bad quality on the clip, it was filmed with a old camera)

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
cromwell said:
Here is a videoclip of my Whelen Patriot, I guess it has a somewhat "bad noise" .... or what?
(Sorry for the bad quality on the clip, it was filmed with a old camera)

That sounds normal to me, the sound is louder due to the shelf and nothing else in the room. The power supply I have makes a high pitched squealing noise.

Mar 14, 2012
South Georgia
I have been working on Patriots for 12 plus years, about 20 bars in my fleet. I have only replaced the power supplies maybe 10 or so times. Most of the bars left still have the orginal 2002 manufactured supplies in them. They are normally noisy to begin with, they usually quit firing or will hit and miss when they start going bad.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
deputychief301 said:
I have many of both and yes its true. The mini patroits have a big time problem with the
power supplys going out but what I did was custom made a couple of power supplys to

fit the frame as the power supply is part of the structure to hold the bar together, this is

not 100 percent true as I have replaced many with custom made supplys.

My custom power supplys throw out 20 watts per strobe reflector compared to the typical

12.5 or 15 watt fromthe factory so my bars are brighter also.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Jim,

I've got a patriot with two bad power supplies I'd like to replace. Can you go into a little more detail about the custom power supplies?

Thanks!

Seth

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.