Whelen powersupply questions

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
1.question

This old PS was inside one of the Whelen Edge lightbars that I just bought:

Okt10 009.jpg[/attachment:1ggblmog]

When I turn on the lightbar the four front strobes start to flash for about 5-10 s. and after that they stop.

Then I take away the +12V cable from the battery and wait about 10 s. and put it back and then the lights start to flash again and stops...

Is this a sign that this old PS is going to give up soon, or what??

2.question

This PS was inside one of the other lightbars:

Okt10 002.jpg[/attachment:1ggblmog]

There seems to be four empty places for more strobes in the middle, could this be a 8-outlet PS or what??

3.question

I guess this is the power circuitbard.

Okt10 001.jpg[/attachment:1ggblmog]

Are those black boxes there halogen flashers?

Okt10 009.jpg

Okt10 002.jpg

Okt10 001.jpg

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
cromwell said:
1. Is this a sign that this old PS is going to give up soon, or what??

2. There seems to be four empty places for more strobes in the middle, could this be a 8-outlet PS or what??

3. Are those black boxes there halogen flashers?

1. Probably. Check your connections. I'd even pull the power supply out of the bar and test it independently using strobes you know are good. If it keeps f*ckin' up, it's probably on it's last legs.

2. Yes, from the look of it, that is an eight strobe ps. My FD has a bar that has this same power supply in it and there are eight strobes in the bar. The plug all the way to the right is the power input harness, correct?

3. No. They are relays. You'll need a halogen flasher board (which will plug into this main relay board) if you want flashers.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Thanks bigcat for your answers!

1.Yes, I´ll try to test that PS independently with some other strobes.

2. Yes, the plug all the way to the right is the power input harness.

3. Ok, I see.

If the PS in the second picture really is a 8-outlet PS, then what are they called?? EB8 ?

One of these Edge lightbars has got a PS called SL6, is that same as EB6?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
The power supply in the second pic was the original supply that went into the edge bar, allong with the "V" shaped or 180 degree strobe tube assembly. EB-6' s were much later. Actually the EB-6, SL-6 and 2x6 are the last supply's designed for the 9000 bar before they switched over to the 9M.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.