Whelen Raider vs New products

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone would still recommend the Whelen Raider dual for a bumper mount

My understanding is that its the same 6 diode lighthead ( 12 diode for dual) from the liberty.

Others I have considered are the Soundoff n force 9 led / dominator in linZ configuration/ and the M4

Its going on a reasonably large pushbumper on a Toyota Landcruiser so I am looking for a big but not overpowering linear size lighthead

Pricing of the dual raider is 287 which is the most expensive solution

Your thoughts are appreciated !

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I use them and still prefer them over many other options. I have singles and duals. I build them to my needs. Some I use the smart LEDs and use the internal flashers. Others, I use a remote flasher.

I also use them mounted on my truck box facing rearwards, 90 degrees, and 45 degrees.

The housings are extremely strong and can be mounted very securely.

You are correct about them using the 500 Series, 6 tab, LIN6 as used in the Liberty. However, the OEM installs use a waterproof connector that is diferent than the standard Amp connector used in the Liberty bar. I have often installed the LIN6 modules. using the Amp connectors, into Raiders. I put a bit of Silicone sealer on the connections and have had no issues over many years of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I'll take an M4 or an M6 over a 500 series any day of the week, especially when you can buy two M-series for the price of one dual Raider.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
acala91 said:
I'll take an M4 or an M6 over a 500 series any day of the week, especially when you can buy two M-series for the price of one dual Raider.
Price aside an M7 will have a larger footprint than a 500 series. However the application is a bumper mount, not surface mount. You can probably get a pedestal for the M series but then you're at the same cost as a Raider, or more. For the application the Raider seems to be a good choice.

I prefer to keep all my lighting equipment one brand for compatibility with sync. Other manufacturers have good products too but there are VERY few instances you could ever go wrong with Big W.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I too would recommend going with either the M4 or M7 over a dual Raider, D+ or nforce. It's true that the Whelen mount options are limited but any metal shop can bend you an L bracket that would make a suitable mount.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Abacus said:
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone would still recommend the Whelen Raider dual for a bumper mount

My understanding is that its the same 6 diode lighthead ( 12 diode for dual) from the liberty.

Others I have considered are the Soundoff n force 9 led / dominator in linZ configuration/ and the M4

Its going on a reasonably large pushbumper on a Toyota Landcruiser so I am looking for a big but not overpowering linear size lighthead

Pricing of the dual raider is 287 which is the most expensive solution

Your thoughts are appreciated !

Personally, I prefer 2 large grill lights over a lightstick. There are 3 options IMO:

1) if the 500 series (lightheads used in raiders) are the size you want, then save yourself a lot of money & put 2 lin6 on L-brackets

2) 2 solid color M6 for the price of a raider would be my vote

3) 700 series with colored lenses on a pedestal mount look good on a PB

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Solvarex said:
Price aside an M7 will have a larger footprint than a 500 series. However the application is a bumper mount, not surface mount. You can probably get a pedestal for the M series but then you're at the same cost as a Raider, or more. For the application the Raider seems to be a good choice.

I prefer to keep all my lighting equipment one brand for compatibility with sync. Other manufacturers have good products too but there are VERY few instances you could ever go wrong with Big W.

Whelen makes a brush guard mount for the M-series.

m6brush.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Solvarex said:
That appears to be a protective guard, not a bracket.

he captioned it as a "Brush Guard" as another idea, not as an L Bracket.

btw, do i need those?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think Pedestal mounted M4s are the way to go for this

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Storm4200 said:
he captioned it as a "Brush Guard" as another idea, not as an L Bracket.

btw, do i need those?

I had assumed that these for for mounting the lights on a brush guard, not guarding the lights from brush lol

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I had assumed that the M4 brush guard was pedestal as well so thanks for posting the picture !

I am still thinking as the back of the truck has M7s.....decisions decisions but I am glad no one really slammed the Dual Raider idea

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.