Whelen responder and val-u-bar lightbars

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a holder for a 4x3 halogen/strobe that was used in the advantedge. These can be used to mount a steady burn in a responder in place of the strobe. I have a this part, the bulb and an extra responder bar if anyone wants to make a CA responder.

nhfirefighter

May 21, 2010
USA-New Hampshire
The fifth one down, with a blue dome. Is that a single rotor with two mirrors or are those some angled linear strobe reflectors? Either way I don't think I have ever seen a responder with only one rotor in it.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
nhfirefighter said:
The fifth one down, with a blue dome. Is that a single rotor with two mirrors or are those some angled linear strobe reflectors? Either way I don't think I have ever seen a responder with only one rotor in it.

It looks like it's functionally an original responder with the mirror attachment.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It was usually sold under the Austin Electronics name. Here it is with the previous generation of rotator, same model though. Also the three rotator one shown in a 1995 Whelen Catalog.

IMG_0015.jpg

3.jpg

Here is some more responder literature. These were sold in many different configurations under the Austin name as well as a few under Gall's branding. Of course you could get what ever you wanted that would fit if you special ordered enough, but when sold as Whelen directly the models tended to be the popular standard styles, although the 3 rotator model pops up now and then.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Posts merged with existing responder and val-u-bar threads.

JohnMarcson said:
val-u-bar info

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen025.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen026.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen028.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen029.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen030.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen031.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Catalogs_whelen032.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Full catalog pages of both Austin and Whelen versions of responders and val-u-bars.

Whelen

wc 005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

3.jpg

51.jpg

Austin

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
When I first joined the community I had a Respond-a-strobe with a bad PS cause I checked the bulb with another PS.

Anyway someone here had a dashmaster cheap enough that worked I thought it looked like the same size as the one in the responder.

I bought it and when it got here I took it apart and sure enough was the same size.

The only difference was the aluminum mounting frame so I just changed the frames out and then had a working Respond-a-strobe.

At the time was a newbie and a lttle leary of some of the threads. Like the Tips & tricks thread.

So hope this helps somebody else out if you have the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnMarcson said:
I have a holder for a 4x3 halogen/strobe that was used in the advantedge. These can be used to mount a steady burn in a responder in place of the strobe. I have a this part, the bulb and an extra responder bar if anyone wants to make a CA responder.

I would love to do exactly that, but my $$ is currently going towards refurbishing an Aero Twinsonic, Aerodynic, and Jetstream...LOL

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
JohnMarcson said:

John,

What parts you have left?

Wanting to make mine a 6 rotor with diamond and replace black center dome.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
chief1565 said:
John,
What parts you have left?

Wanting to make mine a 6 rotor with diamond and replace black center dome.

PM sent

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Here's what I have.

looking to replace the black center with another complete setup.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
chief1565 said:
Here's what I have.

Here are my parts that you might want. You have newer mirrors than what I have. You could get away with using the wide diamond mirror in just the center I guess.

IMG_20140206_083417_791-1.jpg

Yours are more like this:

IMG_20140203_154741_795.jpg

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Pm sent on parts.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
i have some NOS Val-u-Bars if any one wants any

also that fuel truck is at chester airport

I might want a valubar depending... pm me.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
chief1565 said:
Here's what I have.
Original pictures in post 54.

Update on this project.

Decided to make it an all light Val-U-Bar.

Got a DXII from Chad (EHFD_Tower_) had all the parts to match what was already in there.

First I to the black center and put it on the DX base and marked the base for the donor dome. The took the square and drew connecting lines.

The started in a corner and sawed my way through to just above the base. Took of the base and finished cutting it.

Then took 180 sandpaper and wet sanded the edges clean and smooth.

Put all the parts in and this is what I have.

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
JohnMarcson said:
I might want a valubar depending... pm me.
Pm sent

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just got a tall domed respond-a-strobe with the earliest version of the center strobe, PAR36. It's darn near new, supposedly off a DJ stand.

IMG_20140515_163404_775.jpg

IMG_20140515_163422_019.jpg

IMG_20140515_163341_906.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Now THAT is sharp! Great grab, John! Enjoy.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Have you checked to make sure it works o.k., John? I bought a CJ184 that came with an Interceptor siren off ebay several years ago. The beacon was o.k., but both the siren and speaker were "fried". They had been used for DJ stuff, too.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
JohnMarcson said:
Just got a tall domed respond-a-strobe with the earliest version of the center strobe, PAR36. It's darn near new, supposedly off a DJ stand.

View attachment 74264

View attachment 74265

View attachment 74266

Nice light...I'm guessing that it was from the guy near Omaha, NE? He had four of them. I posted a link to his CL ad in the "Links to Deals on other Sites" thread. I almost bought one, but since I have one in blue, and $ is tight right now, I decided to pass.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
JohnMarcson said:

View attachment 74264

View attachment 74265

View attachment 74266

Holy crap Batman!! Where in the cave was that hiding.?..
w00t%5B1%5D.gif

That is a saweet score.!! :thumbsup:

May I ask what it set you back? And thank you in advance for the video!! :jawdrop:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Tristar said:
Nice light...I'm guessing that it was from the guy near Omaha, NE? He had four of them. I posted a link to his CL ad in the "Links to Deals on other Sites" thread. I almost bought one, but since I have one in blue, and $ is tight right now, I decided to pass.

No it was an ebay auction I saw right after it was relisted, DJ equipment I guess.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
JohnMarcson said:
No it was an ebay auction I saw right after it was relisted, DJ equipment I guess.

Interesting...The guy near Omaha had four of them that he used as DJ equipment. I know someone here got one of them. I looked last night, and they're not on CL anymore...he must have put them on ebay. I'm still kicking myself for not biting the bullet and getting one! Oh well, enjoy it!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Tristar said:
Interesting...The guy near Omaha had four of them that he used as DJ equipment. I know someone here got one of them. I looked last night, and they're not on CL anymore...he must have put them on ebay. I'm still kicking myself for not biting the bullet and getting one! Oh well, enjoy it!

Makes sense. These are the tallest version I've seen, the par 36 strobe version was normally somewhat taller. Maybe he will put more on ebay.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
JohnMarcson said:
Makes sense. These are the tallest version I've seen, the par 36 strobe version was normally somewhat taller. Maybe he will put more on ebay.

The one I have has a par 36 strobe in it...how do I tell if it's the normal size for that, or the extra tall size?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
IIRC, this is a typical 1st version Respond-A-Strobe.

This one is about 1/8th inch taller than the other par 36 version I had. The domes on these seem to vary in height a bit both on the strobe version and the rotator version. My nonstrobe ones of this style are not exactly the same height either. I am told all domes of this style started at full height and then were cut down and the chrome band added. The ones with a colored or clear cutout also have variable amouts of the bottom of the round window cut off.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I have a PAR 36 strobe version with a blue lens (no clear cutout for the strobe). I'd love to have one with the clear cutout. I'm amazed at the fact that the lens is somewhat flexible...I've never seen a lens with that characteristic before.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
they still are very Flexible put a new set on a digger truck. they warmed up and one got hit by somthing and the lens just dented

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
DefianceEngineCompany said:
the one from ebbay ?

Yeah it is the ebay one. The reason I think it's 1/8" taller than my last one with the par 36 strobe is because it doesn't fit on the shelf. The old one just barely fit, this one won't (I removed magnets). I wish I had the other one back, even though it was really rough.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.