whelen responder question

74FirefighterEMT

Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey USA
What type of light heads does the responder led bar use, its the linear version. It has linz 6 to thr front and rear and lin 4 to the sides. Want to eventually make it amber for plowing. And can you fit linz 6 heads to the side because the lin 4 heads look to be the same size just with 4 leds. Any input is appreciated

In the one that I had they were all LIN6 heads... I think any 500 Series LED head can be mounted in them...

LTriton I know the newer ones are all linz6 but the one i just bought off the board have linz 6 housings in the sides but only have 4 leds in the modules. Would liberty heads work in it? And idk if the heads have connectors in them or if there just wires like linz 6 grill lights.

LINZ6 and LIN6 are two completely different lightheads...

The R2LP Responder I use to have had 6 LIN6 heads... Yes, liberty heads are 500 series heads... Any 500 Series lighthead will work... LINZ6s are smaller...

I'm sorry that was my mistake mine says r2lp rmp and says 500series super led idk if thats what you had but mine has 6 led light heads to the side with only 4 leds in it.

74FirefighterEMT said:
I'm sorry that was my mistake mine says r2lp rmp and says 500series super led idk if thats what you had but mine has 6 led light heads to the side with only 4 leds in it.

Say what??? :worried: English please.

I ment its my mistake about the linz vs lin 6 light heads. And i was stateing that my bar says R2LP RMP and linear 500 super led on the bottom if the bar. Also i know the newer responders have all 6led heads in the bar but mine has 6led heads front and rear and the sides look to be the same size head but only have 4 led in each head. I want to know what replacement heads go in the bar, reg 500 light heads, liberty modules, or what. And also if someone knows for sure is i can put 6 led heads in the bar to replace the side heads. Hope that clears it up.

74FirefighterEMT said:
I ment its my mistake about the linz vs lin 6 light heads. And i was stateing that my bar says R2LP RMP and linear 500 super led on the bottom if the bar. Also i know the newer responders have all 6led heads in the bar but mine has 6led heads front and rear and the sides look to be the same size head but only have 4 led in each head. I want to know what replacement heads go in the bar, reg 500 light heads, liberty modules, or what. And also if someone knows for sure is i can put 6 led heads in the bar to replace the side heads. Hope that clears it up.

Yes, you can "for sure" install the 6LED (premium modules) in the sides of your Responder. In my personal experience, that is the way they are normally found.

I build custom Responders for my own use. I have used two wire 500 series modules (the ones with the 5mm LEDs and 6 tab housings), CON3 modules, and LIN6 modules from other Responder LPs and Liberty lightbars. These interchange as desired. As a side note: The 4 LEDs in a LIN6 make it an 'economy' LIN6 as regularly used in 'economy' Liberty applications.

My question is: Was the Responder you just bought a brand new - never used item, or a used item? If so, I would like to know as I continue to buy these and if there has been a running change made during manufacturing, installing the 'economy' LEDs in the sides, it will influence my future purchases.

Thanks,

Terry

Thank you for the input terry, the one I bought was used ( unsure of how much) but the light is in great shape i bought it from a member on this site. I didn't know they had made an economy version. I think I am going to change the side modules to the premium modules for more output.

74FirefighterEMT said:
Thank you for the input terry, the one I bought was used ( unsure of how much) but the light is in great shape i bought it from a member on this site. I didn't know they had made an economy version. I think I am going to change the side modules to the premium modules for more output.

I have not encountered 'economy' LIN6s in anything other than a Liberty, but I am not an authority.

I have been looking at my references and the last 3 Alpha characters of your light (The "RMP") are not being found (but it has given me a 'mission' to pursue on an otherwise dull evening).

The Responders I have use the last 3 Alpha characters to determine :

1: the type mount

2: the color dome

3: the color LEDs

Example - R2LP PCA = Responder LP with LIN6s having a permanent mount base, a clear dome, and amber LIN6s.

Also, unless you get a heck of a deal on the premium LIN6s, the economy modules will work extremely well and save you spending a bunch of money on modules that will be hard to tell any improvement over what you have now. I'd put that money towards a NIB Responder LP having all premium LIN6s (at least one forum member currently lists these in their for sale posting) and use the one you have 'as is'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on putting a full liberty on my truck eventually but got the responder for now to replace the code 2 lp rotator mini bar i had on my truck. I was also asking about changing light heads and such because I haven't really messed around with working on lights to much. It also says something about red on the bottom of the bar, I will try and get a pic of the sticker on the bottom of it and post it up here.

I would say who ever sold you the bar rip you off unless they told you they changed the modules.

I'm assuming you just got this bar in the last week from firefinder51 or something like that. Had a blue responder with a combo of LIN6 pop and de-pop modules.

As for the sticker saying 'red', he said that he built the bar from parts here and there, so the housing was likely originally from a red bar. Unless you send the entire bar back to Whelen for warranty work, which would require something on the entire bar to crap out, I think the sticker is fine. Usually just one module or the flasher will go bad. Those all too have their own stickers with date codes.

Cam said:
I would say who ever sold you the bar rip you off unless they told you they changed the modules.

If it's the bar I think it is, it was pieced together from parts and was a good deal at the selling price I last saw.

Your right i did get it from firefinder51, and i dont think he ripped me off at all, light heads on the side are only 4leds and its not a big deal to me if i get around to it eventually i might change them and if not then so be it. I was just curious as to what the actual replacement heads would be. I was not aware of the fact that he built the bar him self ( if that is indeed that case) but even so the bar is still very bright and works great for me, i will probably over time switch the bar to all amber and put it on my plow truck and use the blue heads in it for something else but it is on my truck now and i am happy with it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381