Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

cmb56

I am not so sure about that it should be anything that was used as standard for funerals back in the 50s or even the 30s.

I believe it to be a newer thing.

My guess is that you used a colour that was available in the state for this purpose at the time.

I have a model 17 lens and model 121 lens in purple and no one talked about funeral lights when I bought these from Federal in the 80s.

Michael

OP
OP
dmathieu

dmathieu

Premium Member
Nope, not a newer thing to use purple for the funeral industry.
1. See the above 1930s-1940s light in purple FUNERAL.
2. The funeral flags/banners used for many years in funeral procession, yep, purple.
3. In 1956 when the Fire Ball came out, for a short time purple/magenta domes were offered in a funeral supply magazine. (I wish I could find one.)
4. For many years, purple has been considered a color of mourning.

Although not universal, purple lights have traditionally been used for the funeral industry in the USA and Canada.
Before the 1940s the only color readily available for emergency lights was red. Once other colors became easier to manufacture, they took on particular generally accepted meanings. One of those generally accepted meanings, purple/funeral.

cmb56

OK.
Good to know.
It was only a guess of mine because personally I have only seen the purple funeral light in later years.

Michael

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Members
Latest member
ryno4503
Top Bottom