Whelen SmartLogic Flasher Info

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
Hi All,

I just purchased a Whelen SmartLogic flasher to install into my truck. I have never set one of these up so I'm going to be learning as I go. A few questions I have before I get started:

I got the photocell with it but am confused as to how to hook it up. I see that it has a + & - for the photocell on the flasher but on the instructions it says to hook it to ignition power. Hooking it to the flasher would be constant power, Or should I install a relay to turn on and off the flasher? Also I'm assuming the low power wire from the photocell just goes to the input I program as low power?

I also is there any way to change a input to be ground activated? My truck has a wire that goes to ground when in park, yes I can use install a relay to make it 12V but if I can skip that step it would be nice.

Any help or Tips would be much apricated!

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Please take my advice worth a grain of salt...I've never wired one of these up, but I found some instructions for a SmartLogic flasher that says wire it up to the battery basically. Negative to negative battery terminal then positive to a 40 amp fuse block to the positive battery terminal. Copy/paste from what I'm reading: "Wiring... Power Install the power pigtail assembly into its receptacle. Using appropriately sized wire, extend these wires from the flasher towards the vehicle battery. Connect the Negative (-) wire to the NEG (-) battery terminal. Connect the Positive (+) wire to a 40 Amp fuse block and then to the POS (+) battery terminal. Do not install the fuse until all the wiring is complete!"

Here's what I'm reading from. Is this the same model as yours? https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/14A90.pdf

If this is the wrong model, I apologize....just trying to help.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
Please take my advice worth a grain of salt...I've never wired one of these up, but I found some instructions for a SmartLogic flasher that says wire it up to the battery basically. Negative to negative battery terminal then positive to a 40 amp fuse block to the positive battery terminal. Copy/paste from what I'm reading: "Wiring... Power Install the power pigtail assembly into its receptacle. Using appropriately sized wire, extend these wires from the flasher towards the vehicle battery. Connect the Negative (-) wire to the NEG (-) battery terminal. Connect the Positive (+) wire to a 40 Amp fuse block and then to the POS (+) battery terminal. Do not install the fuse until all the wiring is complete!"

Here's what I'm reading from. Is this the same model as yours? https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/14A90.pdf

If this is the wrong model, I apologize....just trying to help.

Yes that is the correct flasher and I did read the instructions, but they seem to go against the instructions for the photo cell. I wouldn't want the photo cell on all the time as it would draw down my battery. I do appreciate the help!

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
The photo cell draws so little current on a standard car battery it would take over 2 months to kill it (current draw is less then 50 milliamps) though if its a concern im sure you can setup a switch on the photocell leads to shut it off when you dont need it or set up a switch on the units main power wires to kill all power until its needed

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
**Update to answer some of my own questions**

1st the + & - for the photocell on the flasher only activate when a input is turned on.

2nd the low power wire from the photocell goes to whatever input you program as an input (I used input 5)

3rd I was not able to find a way to change the input to be ground activated, ended up using a relay.

Video attached for viewing pleasure.

Reactions: Tango7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.