Whelen Vertex Directional & 360 Side Emitter

Sirennet

Apr 23, 2013
Oregon
I saw these pop up on Whelen's website, any info or photos on these?

<td>VTXD609*

td><td>

td><td>New! Directional Lighthead, Includes Side Emitting Shield, Red, Blue, Amber or White, 9' Cable

td><td>

td><td>VTXD609#

td><td>

td><td>New! Directional Lighthead, Includes Side Emitting Shield, Red, Blue, Amber and/or White, 9' Cable

td><td>

td><td>VTX3609*

td><td>

td><td>New! 360° Side Emitter Lighthead, Red, Blue, Amber or White, 9' Cable

td><td>

td><td>VTX3609#

td><td>

td><td>New! 360° Side Emitter Lighthead, Red, Blue, Amber and/or White, 9' Cable

td><td>td>

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Is this supposed to be a vertex with optics?

If customers are going to insist on using the vertex to replace properly sized primary warning lights, it's good for Whelen to at least put an optic on it to make it more effective.

Reactions: Doug

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
One of the Whelen factory guys brought is some by the shop there is 3 new versions the standard vertex will remain unchanged the flat on above the light is directed straight out (perfect for running boards) the flat one with the angled mirror means you can aim the light at the reflector to fill the entire housing instead of just a little dot in the middle, then the third is a 360 optic no light is omitted from the top only out of the side (perfect for placing straight up from the bottom of the housing ) at least that's how he explained it to us they are really neat and I can't wait to start installing them.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
It is good to see whelen is trying to improve their lights and not just sitting on its thumbs. I hope to try them soon.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Im wondering if the 360 will be bright enough to mount under sideview mirrors(like intersectors)

Last edited by a moderator:

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
that would be worth trying i i had one it might be to thin of an out put plus it could hit the driver in the face if its not mounted correctly

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I wonder if Whelen is pursuing the holy grail of hideaways - an LED that can take the place of an OEM bulb and retain SAE/DOT certification in ANY vehicle. Their HALO was a great step forward and with new LED technology I think it's an achievable goal. You simply can't get the same performance with a hideaway if it's not at the reflector's focal point that the auto maker's engineers designed.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I wonder if Whelen is pursuing the holy grail of hideaways - an LED that can take the place of an OEM bulb and retain SAE/DOT certification in ANY vehicle. Their HALO was a great step forward and with new LED technology I think it's an achievable goal. You simply can't get the same performance with a hideaway if it's not at the reflector's focal point that the auto maker's engineers designed.

Shhhhhh..... What's the first rule of fight club?

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
The problem is that it wouldn't be universal.  Putting a red one behind a clear lens on one vehicle, then putting the same red light behind a dark red lens on another vehicle...  They'd need to have it certified as DOT/TC compliant for all vehicles, which I don't think is possible because there are so many different varieties of lenses and reflectors - each vehicle would need to be tested individually to certify them.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
The problem is that it wouldn't be universal. Putting a red one behind a clear lens on one vehicle, then putting the same red light behind a dark red lens on another vehicle... They'd need to have it certified as DOT/TC compliant for all vehicles, which I don't think is possible because there are so many different varieties of lenses and reflectors - each vehicle would need to be tested individually to certify them.
Uh, no.

If a $2 incandescent bulb compatible in any 3157 socket is certified for any vehicle, the technology exists to produce an LED replacement. The question is whether or not it is worthwhile from a business standpoint.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
 the technology exists to produce an LED replacement. The question is whether or not it is worthwhile from a business standpoint.
I intended or reply with this exact opinion (but with a stupid 6million dollar man pun).  This is a true statement for nearly all incandescent and halogen products at this point.  Is it work designing a LED replacement for an existing bulb knowing that

a -Eventually a ground up redesign of the application (tail, brake, headlight, turn) will occur

b-It will have be broad enough in "spread and spectrum" to work anywhere the incandescent would.

c-It makes heat out the electronic side not the light producing side.

Yes, such a product could be produced, the question for old man capitalism is, is it worth it?  Often an "entire assembly" redesign is more cost effective. There are decent 9006 LED replacements, although those bulbs are used in a more specific housing in most cases whereas a **57 etc may be in a variety of housings. 

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I think the original HALO design was a brilliant piece of engineering and they work wonderfully in my Sierra taillights. They were designed back in the day when Luxeon Stars were the rage, and newer, brighter, more efficient diodes are now available.

If it's a question of spread they could likely light up the entire column rather than splitting it as they do now between running/brake functions. Using more efficient diodes may eliminate the excess heat produced.

I don't know anything about SAE/DOT certification but I'll bet that's the primary reason this hasn't been pursued. My guess is HALO was so expensive they never recovered the costs from certification with sales. An auxiliary lamp that doesn't need comprehensive and expensive testing which can be used far more universally makes much better financial sense to me, though as a consumer and end user I've never been fully satisfied with the performance of hideaways.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.