Whelen Vertex in series for 24V application?

SidewaysLS4

Sep 21, 2015
IL
I acquired 2 Whelen Vertex, and would like to use them on a 24V application.  Any recommendations on my thought of wiring these in series to divide the voltage to get it down to the voltage range specs on these LEDs? 

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I acquired 2 Whelen Vertex, and would like to use them on a 24V application.  Any recommendations on my thought of wiring these in series to divide the voltage to get it down to the voltage range specs on these LEDs? 

Creative thinking, but don't try it. For devices to work reliably in series, they have to be identical loads. The fluctuating, unequal load of  flashing LEDs will cause the divided voltage to swing up and down. A 24V to 12V converter is the right way to do it.

SidewaysLS4

Sep 21, 2015
IL
Yeah, thanks for that.  Just did some measurements and it seems these range from around 700 ohm to 13 ohm depending on state...don't think that would work well as a divider, lol.  I guess I will have to do a regulator. 

Anyone (accidentally) see if Whelen is conservative in their specs?  I'd love for these to be like Axixtech stuff that can go up to 30V...but don't want to test it out myself :)

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
You could build a simple voltage divider. Take two 1,000 ohm resistors, connect them in series from your 24vdc source to ground. The connection in the middle between the two resistors will be exactly half of the source voltage. By varying the value of the resistors, you can get any voltage desired from 24 on down. I'd use 5 or 10 watt resistors for this application. More info is all over the net. Here's a decent one: http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/electronics-projects-how-to-divide-voltage-with-re.html

Reactions: 7d9_z28

SidewaysLS4

Sep 21, 2015
IL
You could build a simple voltage divider. Take two 1,000 ohm resistors, connect them in series from your 24vdc source to ground. The connection in the middle between the two resistors will be exactly half of the source voltage. By varying the value of the resistors, you can get any voltage desired from 24 on down. I'd use 5 or 10 watt resistors for this application. More info is all over the net. Here's a decent one: http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/electronics-projects-how-to-divide-voltage-with-re.html

I think you gave me the solution, thanks!

Edit:  Just did some calcs on this...might not work so good with the large input resistive changes in the Vertex.  Looks like I'm back to the regulator, drat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I think you gave me the solution, thanks!Edit:  Just did some calcs on this...might not work so good with the large input resistive changes in the Vertex.  Looks like I'm back to the regulator, drat.
Should work. The voltage between the resistors is constant. The Vertexes won't change the available voltage.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
The Vertex is not in series with the resistors. It takes it + from the middle of the two and then goes to ground.

24vdc to 12vdc vertex.JPG

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Should work. The voltage between the resistors is constant. The Vertexes won't change the available voltage.
Unfortunately, no. Mr. Smiley is in parallel with the second resistor, so he changes the voltage divider ratio.

Voltage dividers work well as a source of reference voltage, but as soon as you start drawing appreciable current from the divider, the voltage will change.

SidewaysLS4

Sep 21, 2015
IL
I found a regulator on Ebay which fits what I'm trying to do..$9 delivered.  Cant beat that :).  Thanks for the tips guys!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.