Whelen Vertex

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Videos/photos/more details to follow shortly.

Whelen Vertex

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/detai ... rod_id=427

Oh Whelen, I cannot leave you out of this comparison, but I should. Almost. My first LED HAW was 4 whelen LAW's. 2 clear, 2 green. (yes, custom order for the green) Overall, I am left wanting more from these, but they simply are not providing it. They work good as a DIRECTIONAL lighthead, but don't even consider tossing these in place of your strobe tube on a CVPI- unless you need the chase helicopter being able to ID your ride easily during a pursuit. There is side spill light, but it is nothing when compared to other LAW's. Add daylight, and well.. your just wasting energy in my opinion.

I sold my clear Vertex soon after purchasing them, as I knew they would not suffice in side markers at all. The green LAW's I still have, and use. They are mounted in my reverse lights, on a 45 degree angle to the housing, so it does "fill" the reflector pretty well. Daytime I would not trust as a primary light thou, it is not "very" noticeable. Secondary lighting is fine, or nighttime. (or intersection, since they are on the 45 degree angle) Light color for the clear is a good 5500-6000 k, IIRC.

Now, compared to all the others, if I was mounting LAW's on the exterior of a vehicle as a directional lighthead, I would choose Vertex over all the others for a few simple reasons- The light is bright head on, small, and appears to be a very sturdy housing/lens design. Not fully sure, but it appears to be a solid chunk of plastic from the lens right down to the led's- no place for water to condense IMO.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Good Input.

I have mine mounted in corner lights up front and at night they are super bright ONLY in the Direction they are facing. During the day they are not too noticeable, however strobes aren't very noticeable either. I feel they would be best applied in a clear lensed reverse light, however your video doesnt support that theory too much :eek:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Keep in mind, in that video the VERTEX are mounted on a 45 DEGREE angle- hence the "better side warning" part near the end of the video. (if I need, I can draw a diagram how they are mounted...?)

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Our 08 and 09 cars have vertex's, everything else has strobes. I was really excited when they came out, but was disappointed. On the CVPI's, they are mounted in the front corner lights (vertical, like strobes) and in the tail and reverse lights. At night, the back looks pretty good, and you can tell they are on in the day. The front... ugh. Night time, you can see they are on, but it's like a weird halo. During the day, you can only see them up close. I will look for them when on and can't see them sometimes. My Cpl went so far as to have me add a pair of TIR 3's at 45 degree angles on his PB, and he is not a lights guy.

On the Explorers, they were placed in the side of the fog light up front and in the brake lights to the rear. The fog lights actually look pretty good from an angle, esp at night, but I would prefer some lights on the side of the PB during the day. As for the ones in the brake lights... the blinker drowns them out.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I drive a 2005 F-150 STX and i have these mounted on my front bumper next to the fog lights for intersection warning they are flush mount and they do a pretty good job for a little light but if i was u guys i would rely on something a little bigger for intersection warning.

Bizkitjmd1

May 21, 2010
CT in good old US of A
The only thing I don't like about them is how few flash patterns there are to choose from when they are sync'd. Other then that, they are a great light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.