When do you consider a light vintage?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I can't help but think that somewhere around next year, any rotator bar will become vintage... ;)

After how much time or when do you consider a light/siren to be vintage?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I would think about 2 years after it is no longer made, and commonly sold. Rotator and strobe bars are still bought and used, and will be for some time until LED bar's come way down in price.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I would say after it's been out of production, and when the newest car outfitted with one is retired. So, about 5 years after production give or take. Like HILO said, halogen and strobes will be around for a long time to come. I mean, PDs and FDs where still specing sealed beam bars into the early nineties.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I don't think halogen bars are going anywhere for a while. Same for strobes. Gotta have economical choices for folks/agencies compared to the high price of LEDs.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
toon80 said:
I can't help but think that somewhere around next year, any rotator bar will become vintage... ;)

After how much time or when do you consider a light/siren to be vintage?

When there are more of a light in collections than in actual vehicular use.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
On the bulletin board at work there's a flyer for the local vintage car club. It says your car has to be at least 10 years old to join. I'm sorry, but I don't consider 2000 to be vintage.....

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
right after it breaks, when its warranty is up.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
It's weird. I see guys going nuts over lights that when they were on the market were considered absolute shit. I guess that's why some people collect Edsels and coprolites.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Stendec said:
It's weird. I see guys going nuts over lights that when they were on the market were considered absolute shit. I guess that's why some people collect Edsels and coprolites.
That is one of the reasons I like older whelen stuff... They were so big and so dim, but they were trying to devolop a new style of light...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.