Where do I even begin?

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So this stuff magically showed up at my house a few weeks ago... well, not quite, but almost. Even though it's all "old" it's new enough that I don't know where to start with these things.

Top is a Whelen Legacy GB8SP31, next two down are Whelen LFL Liberty ST8RRBBs, followed by four Code 3 RX2700s, one of which (bottom) is slightly different than the other three. I haven't had time to even look at them closely, but I'm guessing with such tiny cables they're going to need a controller of some sort.

20220622_134035.jpg

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So I finally had a few hours to play with some of this stuff. The LFL Libertys (ST8RRBB, built December 2007) had me stumped for a little while as the wiring coming out of the bottom of the bars didn't match anything I found online. It's just a 12 conductor 18ga cable, no serial or CAN wires, no heavy gauge power cables. So I bit the bullet and opened one up. Only ten of the twelve conductors are used, two of which go to the individual halogen alleys, another goes to the halogen takedowns. The rest go to two small flashers stuck inside the bar. Turns out these are the same flashers used in the Whelen Dominators. I'm not sure if this is the way they came from the factory, but something tells me it's not... probably the stripped bits of wire insulation from the flasher wires floating around inside the bar and the date codes on the flashers! But it's a simple solution to be sure, and the lightbars work well set up like this. I even found the Scan-Lock wire and started playing with the severely limited patterns... probably the one big drawback to this setup. Anyway, here are some pics.

20220609_224938.jpg
The handwritten info on the labels is completely faded away, so I had to break out one of my UV lights to get the data.

20220702_113812.jpg
What I found when I opened the first one up. Not at all what I was expecting!

20220702_120114.jpg
An -A6F flasher for the front lamps...

20220702_120124.jpg
And an -A8 flasher for the rear lamps.

The rear lights have traffic advisor functionality, and they also have a dimmed/reduced-output mode for both warning and TA. The fronts are not wired to be dimmed, but it appears that the option is there. Like I mentioned before, the patterns are few and not to my liking, but I suppose they're effective.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much I can do with the Legacy at the moment because it is a WeCAN bar and I have nothing to control it with. Next up are the Code 3 bars...

Reactions: firebuff17

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So despite their ugliness, the dual-color RX2700s are actually pretty impressive. I like how everything is dual-color, red/blue corners, red or blue and white across the front, and amber across the rear. The second wire I put power to put the bar into a crazy mode that flashed all the colors, and it taxed my 19 amp power supply to the point of turning the fan on, something I've never experienced before. I'm sure the tiny alligator leads didn't help.

6lld3v.gif

Reactions: Dave F

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.