Where to buy radios?

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Where's a good place to buy vhf narrowbands? I really don't care what brand as long as it name brand(vertex, icom, motorola, kenwood, etc.). I'd rather it be online because the closest place to me that sells radios are 80+ mile away. As of right now I'm just looking(waiting for my tax return).

Thanks!

Caleb

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Where's a good place to buy vhf narrowbands? I really don't care what brand as long as it name brand(vertex, icom, motorola, kenwood, etc.). I'd rather it be online because the closest place to me that sells radios are 80+ mile away. As of right now I'm just looking(waiting for my tax return).
Thanks!

Caleb
Try actioncommunications.com if you are looking for new stuff. He has some of the best prices I have seen.

I am looking for some used VHF CDM750's, but he probably doesn't have any.

May 22, 2010
New York City
action is a rip off.............

when you are ready, pm me, or just look in the radio section on this site !!!

there are alot of dealers like myself right on the site !!!!!!!!!!!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
911 said:
action is a rip off.............
Interesting. He's been the low quote consistently for me when pricing stuff for purchase by our town. We've only looked at Minitor V's and CP200XLS's so far. I would prefer to keep my business here in eastern NYS, but it is hard to justify when he's $30/pager cheaper, even with shipping charges.

911 said:
when you are ready, pm me, or just look in the radio section on this site !!!

there are alot of dealers like myself right on the site !!!!!!!!!!!
PM coming your way.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
We sell new and used communications equipment as well. Feel free to give us a shout when you are ready to buy and we will be happy to quote you some prices.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Your profile says your a fire fighter, so I suspect you want this radio for that service. So keep in mind that you can't use a ham radio on anything but ham frequencies with a ham license. Even if you are a ham, using a ham radio out side the ham bands is very illegal and can cause you to lose all of your licenses for life as well as have your departments licenses canceled. Also, what ever you purchase will need to be programmed. Even if the seller you purchase from will program (some will, some won't), if you need a modification to the programming at a later date, you'll need to find someone to re program it. The seller might, probably for an additional fee, or might not. If you want to program it yourself, software and programming cable can cost anything from a few dollars to several hundred dollars to not being able to be purchased at all.

If you want a basic radio, take a look here. These are Part 90 certified, not ham radios. Programming cable is $10. You can get the programming software on a CD for another $10 or you can do as I did and download the software off their site for free (In the software description, they give you that option - nothing pirated). These radios use same batteries as a Kenwood TK-260/TK-270, They also use Kenwood 2-pin speaker mics. However the programming cable is somehow different than for a Kenwood.

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-Radio/Categories

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
GaryErrol said:
Your profile says your a fire fighter, so I suspect you want this radio for that service. So keep in mind that you can't use a ham radio on anything but ham frequencies with a ham license. Even if you are a ham, using a ham radio out side the ham bands is very illegal and can cause you to lose all of your licenses for life as well as have your departments licenses canceled. Also, what ever you purchase will need to be programmed. Even if the seller you purchase from will program (some will, some won't), if you need a modification to the programming at a later date, you'll need to find someone to re program it. The seller might, probably for an additional fee, or might not. If you want to program it yourself, software and programming cable can cost anything from a few dollars to several hundred dollars to not being able to be purchased at all.

If you want a basic radio, take a look here. These are Part 90 certified, not ham radios. Programming cable is $10. You can get the programming software on a CD for another $10 or you can do as I did and download the software off their site for free (In the software description, they give you that option - nothing pirated). These radios use same batteries as a Kenwood TK-260/TK-270, They also use Kenwood 2-pin speaker mics. However the programming cable is somehow different than for a Kenwood.

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-Radio/Categories

When did the OP say anything about HAM? We use VHF and are going narrowband for all fire/ems in this area

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Grotonems5 said:
When did the OP say anything about HAM? We use VHF and are going narrowband for all fire/ems in this area

Yeah I don't know anything about HAM(I don't use it). I'm just needing a narrowband mobile VHF, not hand-held. Plus I love cheap stuff, but when it comes to lights, sirens, and radios...I'll stick with the name brands, which usually arent cheap.

Caleb

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
I would go with whoever your comfortable in dealing with and can offer you the best prices, any local dealer can give you a quote and then compare.

Why am I not surprised to see 911 bashing another dealer or whatever.

I've bought radios from him before and they wasn't the quality he assured me they was and well it wasn't a good experience at all.

I would always TRY to buy local and then if you feel thats too high of a price scatter out some more.

BTW, I have 3 Kenwood TK-760HG's that will do narrowband at very good prices if you are interested.

DT_Fire

Aug 24, 2010
4 Seasons, MI USA
cvfd1615 said:
I would go with whoever your comfortable in dealing with and can offer you the best prices, any local dealer can give you a quote and then compare.

Why am I not surprised to see 911 bashing another dealer or whatever.

I've bought radios from him before and they wasn't the quality he assured me they was and well it wasn't a good experience at all.

I would always TRY to buy local and then if you feel thats too high of a price scatter out some more.

BTW, I have 3 Kenwood TK-760HG's that will do narrowband at very good prices if you are interested.

I don't know why I am adding my .02 to this post, (but this has been revised due to some typing errors on my behalf); but I think that if someone has an issue with another member, take it to the ring or send the user a message. Stop trying to flood a users post about something that has occurred in the past or present unless of course a negative deal that hasn't been finished. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
Please tell me where I have degraded other peoples stuff?

I wanted the radio in question, it said plain as day I would take this radio on a message

DT - We have done business in the past and had no problems why are you getting involved seriously?

cvfd1615

Jun 12, 2010
Custer, Kentucky
DT_Fire said:
I don't know why I am adding my .02 to this post, but it seems like cvfd1615 always has something negative to say about people and the quality of others products. What one may see as used and in good condition may be abused but in useable condition to another member. Everyone rates products differently. That is why you ask for pictures, or more pictures if you want close ups. I just wish people would stop bashing one another when someone is trying to make a sale. Send a PM, after all PM does stand for PRIVATE MESSAGE. :popcorn:

I bought a couple of radios from 911 - He said they worked, 1 TK-2160 didn't work, he wasn't being cooperative at all. He didn't want to work with me anyway until I threatened to leave negative feedback.

May 22, 2010
New York City
listen, this guy is just a angry man............

leave it at like that........... they were as is radios, and u contacted me over 2 months later.........

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.