Which Traffic Advisor Should I Buy? NOT SO BUMMED OUT NOW!

Which traffic advisor should I get?

• Total voters

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
*Update - my decision was ultimately the Whelen Dominator Plus Traffic Advisor 8 head in amber.

Which traffic advisor should I get?

Feniex Cobra 800 (All Amber) or Whelen Dominator Plus Traffic Advisor 8 Head (All Amber)

***PLEASE NOTE THE TRAFFIC ADVISOR IS GOING ON THE ROOF OF MY VEHICLE UNDERNEATH THE LUGGAGE RACK. I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED FOR CLEARANCE ROOM AND WE'RE GOOD***

Feniex Cobra 800

PROS = Bright, Cheaper, Longer in Length than Whelen

CONS = 

Whelen TADP8

PROS = Super Bright, Better Warning & Traffic Advisor Patterns than Feniex

CONS = More Expensive, Shorter in Length than Feniex

I already have a Feniex Cobra 600 in the back window that CAN function as a traffic advisor but if it functions as a traffic advisor I then lose all my warning power to the rear so I NEED an actual traffic advisor.

Traffic Advisor Setup 1.jpgTraffic Advisor Setup 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
If you were set on Whelen Id rather see an ION type stick up there, but between these two: Cobra.

Reactions: tsquale

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I don't think it will be very effective competing with the warning bar. To each his own.
^This

Not to make excuses for the general populous; but most folks dont pay attention to traffic advisors because noone knows theyre there, since they get lost in a blinking blur of colors

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Thanks for all the comments. I took everything into consideration before posting this response. A final decision has been made and I hope everyone will enjoy the outcome once completed. Since I know everyone is dying to hear my decision I am withholding that information until I show you guys the video... The suspense must be horrible not knowing what I choose... :)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I already have a Feniex Cobra 600 in the back window that CAN function as a traffic advisor but if it functions as a traffic advisor I then lose all my warning power to the rear so I NEED an actual traffic advisor.
It's your vehicle, so you do what you want but I highly disagree with this comment that you lose all your warning power to the rear if you put your existing cobra on TA pattern when pulled over. Most TA patterns, particularly the slower ones, provide good rear visibility (remember the goal is to be seen, not blind them) and I think that having a TA and a warning stick virtually on top of each other essentially nullifies the effectiveness of both, b/c its gonna look like one big purple/orange blob.

Honestly, If youre worried about losing all rear warning to the rear if you were to use the existing cobra as a TA, I'd add some flashing LP lights or something in the lower rear window

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
It's your vehicle, so you do what you want but I highly disagree with this comment that you lose all your warning power to the rear if you put your existing cobra on TA pattern when pulled over. Most TA patterns, particularly the slower ones, provide good rear visibility (remember the goal is to be seen, not blind them) and I think that having a TA and a warning stick virtually on top of each other essentially nullifies the effectiveness of both, b/c its gonna look like one big purple/orange blob.

Honestly, If youre worried about losing all rear warning to the rear if you were to use the existing cobra as a TA, I'd add some flashing LP lights or something in the lower rear window
Thanks for the input K9!

M.Link

Oct 21, 2013
PDX, OR
I have a Whelen TIR6 8 head TA on my cab guard, on each side I have a red LINZ6. When my red lights are on, with the TA, you can't tell what is going on. If I use the TA as a TA, I turn the red off, otherwise I just put it on "flash". I guess you've made your mind up though, good luck.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Well my decision was the Whelen Dominator Plus Traffic Advisor 8 head in amber. I bought the light from Southwest Public Safety (SWPS) and before purchasing I inquired on specific flash patterns that I needed and also a pair of "L" brackets. The sales person, who I will not name, stated the brackets come with it and there are several dozen flash patterns as well. The invoice went through with no problems and it took a week in a half or so to go in from Whelen. I received the light today, opened the box and first thing I noticed was the missing pair of "L" brackets that I requested. The SWPS rep assured me a pair of brackets ships with the Dominator from Whelen, it didn't. This was the first problem. Although not a big issue I called and his story is now that it does NOT come with "L" brackets and all the brackets they use they make in house. He reffered me to Lowes to buy some sheet metal and bend and make my own brackets, a little irritating but I instead went to my closest Whelen dealer and bought a pair of Whelen "L" brackets. Solved that problem nice and square. Get back home and turn on the light. First thing I do is look at the light while I turn it on, woah it's KILLER BRIGHT! The pattern seemed to be scrolling through several patterns. Already knowing the pattern I want it on (CHP traffic advisor pattern, slow in-out), I scroll through the patterns and notice it's not in there, in fact there is NO pattern that stays the same flash. All the warning patterns scroll between flash patterns. There are some slow, medium and fast patterns but still they change patterns. I called Whelen and spoke to a tech about my dilemma. To start off the tech sounded like he was in a pissed off mood and told me that the my model traffic advisor only has 7 warning patterns and only one of them is supposed to "scroll" between patterns. I asked what my options were to change the pattern and get the pattern I requested he stated there is nothing he can do and he will not take back the light. By the time we hung up the phone we were both pissed off. An email was sent to SWPS advising my issue and asking for what options are available... no response has been received from them yet.

For starters this lightbar is not cheap and to pay that kind of money for a specific flash pattern and not get the flash pattern really pisses me off. The slow in & out pattern that California Highway Patrol uses is very catching to the eye and noticeable at longer distances rather than the faster flash patterns and making all the colors mix on the vehicle and look terrible. The slow in & out pattern is what I requested and that's what the rep said was in several of the patterns.

Regardless, I should have listened to all of you Feniex guys in the first place. Most of my vehicle is Feniex and that's what I should have stuck with in the first. Whelen's customer service appears to be going down the drain and Feniex is ultimately rising higher and higher every day. The Dominator TA is still a great, bright lightbar but to pay $800 for something and it not meet your expectations is ridiculous.

Not sure what the outcome is going to be as far as mounting a traffic advisor to my vehicle. For now I am holding off on mounting the Dominator TA until I received a response from SWPS.

Thoughts or comments guys on what I should do? 

Sorry to disappoint you guys! I'm disappointed just as bad!

TADP8A1.jpg

TADP8A2.jpg

TADP8A3.jpg

TADP8A4.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
We could've advised you to stay away from SWPS as well. If they won't take it back, consider opening a dispute through your credit card company. I have had to via Discover before and they were very helpful.

Reactions: Surgicalcric

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Yea SWPS is a joke, the reps don't know left from right. All they know how d to do is say "yes we can get if for you, yes it will work the way you want it to" then you get the product and bam they lied to you and sold you a pos product you did not order. They have a "south Texas package" which includes a cencom, sa315p and a liberty for $5000.00 to "save" agencies money!!!! Lol

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
We could've advised you to stay away from SWPS as well. If they won't take it back, consider opening a dispute through your credit card company. I have had to via Discover before and they were very helpful.
Thanks! Hate to say I learned my lesson here the hard way but lesson LEARNED! Never heard anything bad about SWPS prior to this.

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Yeah, I had to try and return a product to SWPS before a year or so ago.. Never again. Most frustrating process.
Sorry you had to go through this!

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Yeah, I had to try and return a product to SWPS before a year or so ago.. Never again. Most frustrating process.

Sorry you had to go through this!
I hate to hear that. I am more disappointed in myself for going through with Whelen. I've worked customer service in retail for a few years and I always satisfy my customers, period! Whether it takes a dime out of my pocket or not you should always make YOUR customers happy, because at the end of the day they chose you and YOUR business for a reason. What's sad is Whelen is such a great company but petty, minor things like this is what drives me away from big business. Ever since I bought my first Feniex product the Feniex reps have went our of their way to take care of me and ultimately make me happy at the end of the day. Countless transactions with Feniex and I can't believe I skipped out on them during this purchase. 

Currently, I am in the process of making a video of ALL the 7 whacky flash patterns the TADP8 has to offer! Video should be available tonight.

I appreciate everyones input and will update my outcome. Keep sending me your personal inputs on this situation!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If you can't return it...

You could always get a cobra 800 flasher and pull Whelen's flasher... Get the patterns you want and be done with it...

Seth

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I'm actually kind of fond of pattern 3, but I can see how most of the rest of the them would seem pretty useless, especially since you were seemingly misled in your purchase of the bar in the first place.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
John, I honestly think the only mistake was going thru SWPS. Whelen makes great products but (like any manufacturer) there is always gonna be a few issues that slip through the cracks...aside from paying less money if you bought elsewhere, I'm sure that SNM or Sirennet would've helped you resolve any issues that you had (and possibly saved you having to call Whelen directly, although there is no excuse for poor customer service from the manufacturer either when it unfortunately gets to that point)

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
It sucks when you get bad customer service.  I have had good service rom Whelen and Feniex.  I have to agree with a few things that were said.  Putting the two lights together will just be a blob and not be effective.  Then again, most people don't know what the meaning or purpose of a t/a is.  I am waiting on a new 600 and I am debating using the t/a or not?  That being said I agree the Whelen has better patterns then Feniex.   

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Good news and bad news!

The bad news: Unfortunately I haven't heard a single word back from SWPS either by phone or email, pretty sickening. It looks like I am stuck with the TADP8 but I can live with it I guess.

The good news: I took some of the advice from you guys and bought 4 Whelen IONs! One pair is going on a license plate bracket on the rear of the vehicle and also a pair on the lift gate recessed in a grommet mount (this light will have it's own switch in the rear of the vehicle for when the light gate is open). As much as I hate to say this the IONs were brighter than expected, I wanted my vehicle to be all Feniex, just because they're a great company, USA made/built, etc. but the IONs out performed the Cobras I have and now I am possibly going to replace all the Cobras on my vehicles. Why? I like the sync feature and all the flash patterns I KNOW the IONs have. 

Thoughts, comments and advice is still appreciated guys! Thanks for helping me steer through this mess.

Traffic Advisor Setup 1a.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm assuming you bought the 4 ions (and will buy the future ions) from SWPS again b/c of their great customer service, right bro?

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I'm assuming you bought the 4 ions (and will buy the future ions) from SWPS again b/c of their great customer service, right bro?

I think it'd be great if you got the new linear ion duos for exterior perimeter warning up front
Hahaha. Hell no! I'm thinking about changing out my FS Impaxx to dual color IONs but I don't think you can put different colors on different patterns, we'll see. Most likely I will replace the Cobras on the front.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Just sell the Whelen T/A and the existing R/B light stick in the rear and replace it with a Sound Off nForce dual color T/A or a FedSig Signalmaster CN. IMO this is the best solution now that you have additional rear warning. 

Reactions: Storm4200

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Our feedback section allows for posting feedback about any related industry transaction or seller.........

Reactions: Skippy and MEVS06

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Just sell the Whelen T/A and the existing R/B light stick in the rear and replace it with a Sound Off nForce dual color T/A or a FedSig Signalmaster CN. IMO this is the best solution now that you have additional rear warning. 
That was a thought I had but as much as I've spent I might as well keep what I have. Plus, linear optics behind tint aren't that great. If they made a dual color traffic advisor in TIR modules (Like SNM Dual Color E66) I'd buy one. There's not many videos of the dual color traffic advisors so I'd need some opinions first before purchasing any of em'.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
How dark is the tint? Also, just a thought here but if you were willing to mount the Whelen T/A externally, why not put a dual color unit on the roof so it doesn't have to go  through the tint?

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
How dark is the tint? Also, just a thought here but if you were willing to mount the Whelen T/A externally, why not put a dual color unit on the roof so it doesn't have to go  through the tint?
Factory tint to the rear. I really don't want to drill another hole in the roof for another lightbar but I guess I paid $800 so I better start drilling!

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I don't buy anything that's whelen and is brand new I always buy used... They act like they are made out of gold and over charge for something you can always get cheaper some where else.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I don't buy anything that's whelen and is brand new I always buy used... They act like they are made out of gold and over charge for something you can always get cheaper some where else.
I'd have to agree! Anyone know how many extra flash patterns will be provided on Feniex's new firmware upgrade?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Whelen generally doesn't sell brackets with lightheads or sticks/dominators. I've bought several new, they never came with brackets. So, that's likely SWPS giving you a line of crap.

As for the CHP patterns, that's going to be a specific pattern grouping and a CHP specific bar would have had to have been specified, if they'll sell it to others.... sometimes they won't.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Whelen generally doesn't sell brackets with lightheads or sticks/dominators. I've bought several new, they never came with brackets. So, that's likely SWPS giving you a line of crap.

As for the CHP patterns, that's going to be a specific pattern grouping and a CHP specific bar would have had to have been specified, if they'll sell it to others.... sometimes they won't.
I believe even the regular Dominators come with that pattern, I could be wrong though. Every time I turn it on it just grinds my gears seeing it flash like crazy. I want to put another flasher in it but I've never really had to replace a flasher so I dunno what all goes into it.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
So, I reviewed and couldn't find it.... exactly what pattern are you looking for? If it comes on a regular D8 flasher, not the D8P flasher, maybe you could just swap. I have a D8 flasher if interested.... PM me.

** in the youtube vid posted, you're looking for the pattern 40 seconds in, but not cycling thru different head pairing?**

** edit again.... disregard, I only have a standard D8 flasher**

those warning patterns suck!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.