Whigh light should I go with?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
So I've been looking at getting some sort of dash light for my pov over the last month. Being a Firefighter out of Delaware, this has been a bit of a challenge since we can only run white lights and wig wags in the front. So after looking around I decided on the Whelen Avenger (for $220 at that). However, the other day I came across the the AWL Venom interior light bar (for $200). So now I'm faced with a decision; get the avenger for $20 more and have less "warning power" or get the Venom for and get more bang for my buck. My concern with the venom however, is that it would simply be to much white light and do more harm then good.

So what are your thoughts?

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Avenger. Reason being the AWL is a knock off China made light (AKA junk). Whelen is made in the USA and has a no questions asked/hassle 5 year warranty. I've used the Avengers before and they are very bright, well worth the money.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
EVT said:
Avenger. Reason being the AWL is a knock off China made light (AKA junk). Whelen is made in the USA and has a no questions asked/hassle 5 year warranty. I've used the Avengers before and they are very bright, well worth the money.

I disagree.

Dude... if you are working on a budget.. AWL is your best choice for "knockoffs"

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
An avenger will be fine. Its PLENTY bright especially if all white. Its easy to install and easy to hide. The bar is a hassle and a "knock off".

Just go with the whelen....or a federal signal Viper..

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Irish42, any relation to the IRISH24 who doesn't like any plastic in his lightbars?

:undecided:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
dg0223 said:
Irish42, any relation to the IRISH24 who doesn't like any plastic in his lightbars?

:undecided:

Nope. Plastic or metal, doesn't really matter to me so long as it works.

However, someone thinking there wouldn't be any plastic in something now a days is a bit, special. :bonk:

Edit: I just read his thread... He does seem rather... stubborn. :duh:

Last edited by a moderator:

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Am I reading right that your only allowed to run white lights to the front? What kind of moronic law is that? That makes no sense what so ever...

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
twodogs603 said:
Am I reading right that your only allowed to run white lights to the front? What kind of moronic law is that? That makes no sense what so ever...

That is correct. According to Delaware Code, the only "light" that is specifically designated for Vol. Firefighters (Which is every station in my state, except one) is wigwags, so were left with running either white or yellow in the front. Since every joe blow runs yellow for everything and anything, we just use white. Besides us, only a few other organizations run white, which are typically city vihicals with a mini strobe bar in the rear.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Irsh42 said:
That is correct. According to Delaware Code, the only "light" that is specifically designated for Vol. Firefighters (Which is every station in my state, except one) is wigwags, so were left with running either white or yellow in the front. Since every joe blow runs yellow for everything and anything, we just use white. Besides us, only a few other organizations run white, which are typically city vihicals with a mini strobe bar in the rear.

That is really weird. Does Delaware state code also say cars have to yield to only white lights? Ive never heard of that in any other state. Strange.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
It definitely does seem so backwards that you can only run white to the front for volunteer firefighter. I personally wouldn't use a dash light and just stick with something in the headlights.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
twodogs603 said:
That is really weird. Does Delaware state code also say cars have to yield to only white lights? Ive never heard of that in any other state. Strange.

No, the only lights people have to yeild toare red and blue. Technically speaking, the wig wags themselves are the "courtesy light" and the white dash light is just to draw attention to the vehicle. The thing is though, the state nor any of the departments activitly publicise that Firefighters run wig wags and white lights, so in some respects the lights are actually useless. Its a lot like playing the lottery; its a piss poor system to say the least. :duh:

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
We are talking about AWL correct? Tom's AWL? I've seen the venom first hand, and for being a "knockoff" it's very well made and more than bright. Do NOT get me wrong, Whelen and SOS are all AMAZING, but if you're working on a budget, I've seen nothing but good things from AWL. Even their cheapest things are built very well and are plenty bright enough for anyone.

Jus sayin... Tom doesn't sell junk.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Irsh42 said:
No, the only lights people have to yeild toare red and blue. Technically speaking, the wig wags themselves are the "courtesy light" and the white dash light is just to draw attention to the vehicle. The thing is though, the state nor any of the departments activitly publicise that Firefighters run wig wags and white lights, so in some respects the lights are actually useless. Its a lot like playing the lottery; its a piss poor system to say the least. :duh:

Can you post the applicable legislation/act as it's written? I'd like to view it. Thanks

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
TJW said:
Can you post the applicable legislation/act as it's written? I'd like to view it. Thanks

Here you go.

§ 4348. Additional lighting equipment.

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.

( B) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 1 running board courtesy lamp on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare.

© Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 backup lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps, but any such backup lamp shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in forward motion.

(d)(1) Any vehicle may be equipped with lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing and when so equipped may display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this subchapter.

(2)a. The lamps used to display such warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between white and amber.

b. The lamps used to display such warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights, or any shade of color between amber and red.

c. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.

(3) Flashing headlights may be installed upon any motor vehicle being used by a fire chief, assistant fire chief, fire engineer, fire police officer, police officer, a firefighter who is a member of any regularly established fire company or by an ambulance attendant who is a member of any regularly established ambulance service. Flashing lights shall only be installed if duly authorized by the fire chief or ambulance captain of the respective fire or ambulance company. The lights shall be used only in response to duty as a first responder. Only those firefighters or ambulance attendants of regularly established fire companies duly designated as first responders by their respective fire chief, or those ambulance attendants of other regularly established ambulance services duly designated as first responders by their respective ambulance captain, shall be authorized to use such flashing lights, notwithstanding § 4353© of this title. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to grant emergency vehicle status to firefighters or ambulance attendants making use of such signals in their personal vehicles pursuant to § 4106 of this title. Flashing lights as used in this subsection shall mean a sudden and transient outburst of bright light either operated or activated by 4-way flashers and/or by a high and low beam headlight switch on the vehicle.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4348; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 414, § 1; 77 Del. Laws, c. 6, §§ 4, 6.;

§ 4353. Special restrictions on lamps.

(a) Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps and school bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

( B) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this subchapter.

© Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow removal equipment, vehicles authorized by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security if determined to be in the interest of public safety, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4353; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 65 Del. Laws, c. 468, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 89, § 281( B) .;

§ 4356A. Use of revolving or flashing green light.

Any motor vehicle used by a fire department or police department and emergency vehicles of state, federal, county or municipal departments, or public service corporations as are designated or authorized as emergency vehicles by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security, may be equipped with a green revolving or flashing light for use only when the vehicle is in service at an accident, fire or disaster scene to signify a command post to which fire and police officials may report for instructions or orders, or for use on hazardous material response vehicles traveling to such scene on the request of the fire department or the police department. Such green revolving or flashing lights may only be used on a vehicle for the purposes and in the manner stated in this section.

63 Del. Laws, c. 365, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 89, § 281©.;

§ 4106. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

( B) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may:

(1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this chapter;

(2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

(3) Exceed the speed limits so long as the driver does not endanger life or property;

(4) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

© The exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle is making use of audible or visual signals meeting the requirements of this title, except that an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle need not make use of such signals.

(d) The driver of an emergency vehicle is not liable for any damage to or loss of property or for any personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of such driver except acts or omissions amounting to gross negligence or willful or wanton negligence so long as the applicable portions of subsection © have been followed. The owner of such emergency vehicle may not assert the defense of governmental immunity in any action on account of any damage to or loss of property or on account of personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of such driver or owner.

(e) Authorized emergency vehicles within the meaning of this chapter mean vehicles of a fire department, police vehicles, ambulances, vehicles used by a fire chief, deputy fire chief, assistant fire chief, chief engineer or fire police officer of any duly organized fire company in the performance of those duties, the vehicle of the State Forester in the performance of the State Forester's duties, the vehicle of the Forest Fire Control Supervisor in the performance of the Forest Fire Control Supervisor's duties, the vehicles of the State Emergency Response Team in the performance of its duties and emergency vehicles of state, federal, county or municipal departments or public service corporations as are designated or authorized by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4106; 54 Del. Laws, c. 160, § 1; 61 Del. Laws, c. 461, § 1; 63 Del. Laws, c. 162, § 1; 63 Del. Laws, c. 300, § 1; 68 Del. Laws, c. 251, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 89, § 281(a); 77 Del. Laws, c. 6, § 1.;

Funny enough, you have to give a stationary tow truck the right of away, but not responding volunteer firefighters. Go figure.

§ 4134. Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible or visual signals, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersections and shall relinquish the right-of-way until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

( B) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, blue, blue and white, red and white, red and blue, or red, white and blue lights, or upon approaching a stationary authorized vehicle of the Department of Transportation, which is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing amber or red and amber lights, or upon approaching a stationary tow truck, which is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing amber, white, or amber and white lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:

(1) Proceed with caution and yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of such vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a roadway having at least 4 lanes with not less than 2 lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or,

(2) Proceed with caution and reduce the speed of the vehicle to a safe speed while passing such stationary vehicle, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.

© This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

(d) Any person violating subsection ( B) of this section who hits, strikes, or in any way contacts an emergency responder, causing physical injury, with that person's vehicle shall be guilty of a class F felony.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4134; 54 Del. Laws, c. 160, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 351, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 366, § 1; 76 Del. Laws, c. 345, § 1; 77 Del. Laws, c. 27, § 1; 77 Del. Laws, c. 465, § 1.;

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I recently put a few of the SOS Nforce on my truck. To the rear I have two red/clear leds. The clear come on in reverse and/or with a switch. I like Whelen products but they are not cheap. You can get a single head SOS Nforce a lot cheaper. I will post a pic. The Nforce are split so there are 6 white leds in each light.

reverse lights 2.jpg

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
How did I not see this earlier? I'll stand by my "junk" any day. I'm not saying my lights are better than Whelen, but they are extremely cost effective and a great value.

To the OP, let me know if you are still interested. I might have a few great options for you other than the venom as well. :)

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
I would go with the smallest and brightest you can afford. Wouldn't go Venom for any other reason other than if it doesn't fit your windshield correctly the white flashback is going to be horrible. An whelen avenger, snm d12, fed sig viper I think would have a less chance of blinding you with glare.

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
NFD-102 said:
I agree...I would go with the whelen because I am a whelen guy. I know its a lot brighter then the AWL.

Tom sells a light that is the same style as the Avenger (Linear) and has just as much light output, he has a video somewhere I forgot where though. I think its called an A-18 or AWL-18 or something like that.

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
scruffythewild said:
Tom sells a light that is the same style as the Avenger (Linear) and has just as much light output, he has a video somewhere I forgot where though. I think its called an A-18 or AWL-18 or something like that.

Tom has a comparison video on his website.

I've had no problems with AWL. Just installed a handful of AWL in my buddy's car, and he's very satisfied.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Some of these comments make me laugh. I do not have any AWL products, yet, but I have lucked out and a guy in my EMT class happens to have the venom and as I stated before, it's plenty bright enough for ANYONE. The bar lit up my dept's entire parking area as well as houses well behind the dept on an entirely different street. I have seen nothing but good things about these products from many "top" members on this site, I have seen nothing but good comparisons to the top brands, and I have seen nothing but good things from the venom that I've seen in person.

No, I have not seen all of Tom's products. Yes, Whelen and SOS are top brands, rightfully so. But again, if you have a budget, Tom seems to be the person to go to. I can go to tom and get a pretty damn good full size interior bar for much less than a Whelen dual avenger.

Yes, brands do mean something, but c'mon now. I can get just as much work from my New Balance shoes than I could if I went out an bought a pair of Nikes, for a third the cost as well.(Yes I just went there) :duh:

Side note: I am NOT telling you not to go with Whelen or SOS, God knows if I had the money, I would have a better car than I have and I'd have Feniex and Whelen lights. But I don't, and I have a tight pocket for the most part and I know I need warning for when I respond. If you want to go get Whelen or SOS, then by all means, save up a bit and go get it. If you want a good light, for an affordable price, there are others out there, and Tom just happens to be one of the better ones I hear about.

Last edited by a moderator:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Thanks for al the responses!

I just have on more question. I have a 98 Honda Passport and I need a headlight flasher that will work with my car. However, I have no idea what my headlight electrical system set up is, so does anyone have any advice/ideas? I called my local Honda center but they were of little to no help.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
They make preset wig-wag boxes that you could use. I know Galls makes one and I'm pretty sure I seen a couple more. It's a small switchbox that you wire to your power source then splice it in with your headlight wiring, if I'm correct. I know nothing about cars and nothing about wiring. Just read the directions and I'm aotu 99.8% sure that's what they said. Also had a wiring diagram.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.