Why do fuses keep poping?

cdutter17

Jun 10, 2012
PA,USA
I have a able 2 undercover siren w/ remote touchpad, I have it connected to a fuse block as part of my power distribution setup. When the siren speaker is connected and the siren is activated one of the fuses blow and nothing ever comes out of the speaker, but when the siren speaker is disconnected it works without tripping a fuse and plays though the built-in speaker. I checked all wiring and every thing looks ok. PLEASE HELP! Thanks, Chris

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Sirens do not have built in speakers. What you are hearing is the siren amplifier being very unhappy that it is trying to put out 100w with no speaker to load it.

You may have a bad speaker. That would be the first thing I would try is hook up a different siren speaker and see if that works. Check for grounds on your speaker wire also.

cdutter17

Jun 10, 2012
PA,USA
Ok thanks I will look at it tomorrow, and thanks for clarifying that also I was confused . I ll really inspect the wire tomorrow. And try another speaker !

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I have a able 2 undercover siren w/ remote touchpad, I have it connected to a fuse block as part of my power distribution setup. When the siren speaker is connected and the siren is activated one of the fuses blow and nothing ever comes out of the speaker, but when the siren speaker is disconnected it works without tripping a fuse and plays though the built-in speaker. I checked all wiring and every thing looks ok. PLEASE HELP! Thanks, Chris
Another question to be answered is what is the rating of the siren in amps and what is the rating of your fuse in amps?  You'll have to have check the docs or the manufacturers label on the siren for the rating, and look at the fuse. The install docs for most vehicular electronics will specify what size fuse to use. If you're using a smaller fuse than recommended, you can have the problem you describe.

Fuses blow because the protected circuit is drawing more amperage than the fuse is rated for. That's the whole purpose of fusing. Circuits can draw too much current for a variety of reasons. A faulty device is common. Too many devices on a single fuse is common, too. And the old "short to ground" on the hot line is a prime suspect. You'll want to investigate all of them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.