Willys utility vintage options/ideas needed.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Hey guys I might be getting a 1950's Willys utility and would like to make it into a chiefs buggy Rat Rod but I'm at a loss as to what equipment would be on a buggy from the 1950's. but remember guys I want it to e a Rat Rod so it can be a pieced together with different things lol

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Not the actual truck but the same

image-3773533236.jpg

image-2959566666.jpg

The one I might get doesn't have the windows on the sides

I was thinking a rough looking mechanical siren on the drivers fender, a siren speaker on the passenger fender, dual lollipop lights on the front bumper, and a 4 bulb beacon on the roof

image-3146924669.jpg

as for the inside a homemade switch panel with rocker switches a Powercall siren that uses a rocker switch and a foot pedal for the mechanical.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
It's a vehicle made into a hot rod with random parts from different things all put together. The paint is never nice more like rust and faded factory paint usually sits as close to the ground as possible

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Don't take a rare classic vintage Willys and ruin it by turning it into a grotesque clown car, Ebay is already full of unsalable "rat rod" examples that nobody wants except the people who built them.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I moved this to the correct section and made the title more descriptive to get the thread some more views and hopefully more replies.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
from what I've seen its already in bad shape. so its really not ruining it if it was in good shape I would make it a nice looking chiefs buggy, and thanks to John for fixing the thread.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
mdlighting said:
It's a vehicle made into a hot rod with random parts from different things all put together. The paint is never nice more like rust and faded factory paint usually sits as close to the ground as possible

Oh....then you know Jerry Engle and his "rat rod"

he made from a VW and FD stuff....

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
You should try to get everything period-correct.

Lights, gear, equipment. Not that hard to do. Just

take your time and you will have a NICE vintage

piece of apparatus that you will be proud of.

Here is my Willys Jeep utility.

And mine was as bad as you could get!

When I started, it was a derelict. It was

in the woods with a TREE GROWING THROUGH IT!

All original 1957 Willys Jeep stuff! Period-correct

lighting for a utility/brush based on both my own

experience (1966-present involvement in FDs)

and research of pictures, specs and standards

for such vehicles.

I don't know of any Jeep Wagon buggies in PG

from back in the day, but there WERE several

Jeep CJs in service until recently. Try looking

on several other FD websites such as Loudon

County VA, Fairfax County VA and others.

FD Utilty 4 Front View.JPG

100_2708.1.JPG

100_2806.1.JPG

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Model 17 Federal Beacon Ray on the roof.

(you can find these here on the buy-sell thread)

Two rear-facing red lights on the roof.

(you can find these here on the buy-sell thread)

That older Federal Siren on the fender.

(clean and repaint with quality silver paint)

Letter it for College Park VFD as a Utility.

(a good sign shop can die-cut nice gold

or gold-leaf imitation lettering for a decent price

and you can apply it yourself like a decal)

Extinguishers mounted in brackets inside on wall/floor.

NO ELECTRONIC SIRENS, LEDS, STROBES, etc.

(NOT period-correct!)

A couple of axes mounted inside on the walls.

(go raid the back storage room)

Make some plywood inner walls for the panel truck.

(you said this didn't have the rear windows, they

were know as 'panel trucks' back then, also called

'sedan delivery trucks')

Some small tools, rope bundles and some older bunker gear.

(go raid the back storage room)

Two front-facing red lights on the bumper.

(you can get these here on the buy-sell thread)

Maybe add "A" post spotlights.

(can be bought here on this board)

A vintage Motorola control head and microphone under the dash.

(get the whole radio if you can, they are even available here

every so often on the buy-sell thread)

Go for a nice white-over-red or all-red paint job!

(oh! oh! Better get MAACO!)

Hope this helps you get started.

BTW...is the vehicle running? Parts are available

all over the interweb! Even many Jeep Parts sites

and new parts sites! Popular vehicles and simple

to work on!

Good luck!

PS....and DON'T go looking for Engle! !!! And get

permission to raid the storage room!

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Additional info....

DON'T go overboard with lighting and sirens!

Not only will it overwhelm the alternator, but

back in the day, emergency warning equipment

was more minimalistic than today's vehicles.

Check photos of EVs in your department from

the 1950s-1960s as compared to today. Also

a good place to start your research on period-

correct lighting and equipment.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Additional, additional information.....

Do a search of the forums here and look

for the thread(s) about "Calamity Janes".

These were the Blue and White Civil Defense

units that were popular from WW2 through

the late 1960s. And many of them actually

were Jeep Panel Trucks!

That light give you some better ideas and

also give you a truly unique vehicle that is

correct for your area and era. Many good

pictures, information and descriptions.

These units are what many Squads evolved from.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
My plan is to make it a tribute for my dad he was a volunteer for 25 years and career for 18 years before he passes away. I want to letter it as company 53 his county ID number ( St. Mary's county) and have it EST 1958 the year he was born. I have this vision of a Dept buying a old truck and just fixing it enough to put on the road I was already planning the wood inside with tools and gear it's just the lighting and sirens I wasn't sure about being born in 87 I didn't get to see much of that kinda stuff. I was thinking of flat red and white paint to match Brandywine (my dept) but change the lettering to what I said earlier.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
He is a member at Avenue?

I lived in St.Mary's from 1975-1987.

Worked at NASPAX 1975-1987.

Member of Lexington Park VRS for years.

Also was a member of Ridge VFD for a few years.

Life member at Brentwood. 1968-present.

Was at Hyattsville before that. 1967-1968.

Still have family in VFDs in PeeGee.

Also worked at the old Capital Ambulance Service

based in Silver Spring, MD (we used to compete

with Huntemann's Ambulance Service ala "Mother

Juggs and Speed"). 1966-1970

I knew a few members from Avenue.

Leonardtown used to operate a Blue and White "Calamity Jane"

as a Squad until the 1980s when the got their first regular

heavy squad.

How's things at 40 these days?

Go ahead and spend the few extra $$ and get

a decent job at MAACO. Do the rust/body filler

yourself and let them paint it. You will thank

yourself for it later. Especially if it is going to be

a tribute to your Dad!

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Unfortunately, "rat rod" and "period correct" do not belong into the same sentence. If you are a "rat rodder"... than use what ever. "Period correct", than you've found the right forum. Seen too much stuff out there "hacked" together and then someone expecting a premium for it. Nothing wrong with a tribute car, but surely a waste of classic items for a rat. Drives up the market for those who do an "authentic" restoration.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Liberty703 said:
Unfortunately, "rat rod" and "period correct" do not belong into the same sentence. If you are a "rat rodder"... than use what ever. "Period correct", than you've found the right forum. Seen too much stuff out there "hacked" together and then someone expecting a premium for it. Nothing wrong with a tribute car, but surely a waste of classic items for a rat. Drives up the market for those who do an "authentic" restoration.

YUPPERS~~~!!!

Back in the day when WE built hot rods, WE strove

for PERFECTION and went to the limits for detail,

cleanliness, performance and PROPER EQUIPMENT!

It was all about PERFORMANCE, SPEED and CHICKS!

Trust me! Chicks DON'T want to be seen in a "Hoopty"!

THEY have "reps" too! :D

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
EngCo4 said:
YUPPERS~~~!!!

Back in the day when WE built hot rods, WE strove

for PERFECTION and went to the limits for detail,

cleanliness, performance and PROPER EQUIPMENT!

It was all about PERFORMANCE, SPEED and CHICKS!

Trust me! Chicks DON'T want to be seen in a "Hoopty"!

THEY have "reps" too! :D
I agree, my '78 Nova 9c1 is going to get some "hot rodding". Still an original engine compartment, but due to a cracked exhaust manifold (and CA smog crap), I will be ditching the air pump, EGR intake and air inject exhaust manifolds. Don't cry purists, as it will be all stored in a cardboard box for someone other than me to make it truly "authentic". I have collected all GM parts to do the conversion. Unfortunately, that stuff didn't work in '78, and I really want this car to be a driver (presently 296K miles). Stock paint, stock interior, correct drivetrain and period correct warning equipment. Rat rods were born from parts and pieces of 3 or 4 cars that were piles, too many hacking restorables into something that shouldn't be. I really shouldn't be judgmental, but just saw a '57 Chevy 4-door the guy wanted $18K for with JB Weld sealing the cracks on his manifolds. :no:

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
He was a member at Mechanicsville and paid at NASFD from 88 until he passed away in 2005 he was a LT on the crash truck at station 1. I know how to do body work and paint so that's not a big deal to me and if I build it I will keep it. I want it to look like we pulled it out if a field and started using it like it is.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
AWWwwww...C'mon! Make it NICE!

Raggedy looking apparatus just isn't right

Especially if it is a tribute!

Sorry about your Dad!

You have a nice idea of a tribute, spend

the extra effort. You will thank yourself later.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
EngCo4 said:
NO ELECTRONIC SIRENS(NOT period-correct!)

I agree. Do not put a siren speaker on that wagon. The CP25 speaker was introduced in the early 1960s - it's way too new for a 1950s restoration.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
I'm not 100% sure of the year yet it could be a 60 something who knows. It doesn't have to be 100% period correct I like the mechanical on 1 side and speaker on the other look it evens it out

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
mdlighting said:
I'm not 100% sure of the year yet it could be a 60 something who knows. It doesn't have to be 100% period correct I like the mechanical on 1 side and speaker on the other look it evens it out

Put a large red blinker on the other side instead of a siren speaker.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
mdlighting said:
Not the actual truck but the same

View attachment 57303

View attachment 57304

The one I might get doesn't have the windows on the sides

I was thinking a rough looking mechanical siren on the drivers fender, a siren speaker on the passenger fender, dual lollipop lights on the front bumper, and a 4 bulb beacon on the roof

View attachment 57305

as for the inside a homemade switch panel with rocker switches a Powercall siren that uses a rocker switch and a foot pedal for the mechanical.

I like your idea...to a degree. Put a B&M S8B or CS8B on the left fender. On the bumper....6" Unity or Dietz sealed-beam lights (red or blue, whichever you can use). To be traditional, use a Federal 17 on the roof. Lollipops would look fine on top next to the beacon, but the roof-version 6" sealed-beam lights would look better. If you put a mechanical siren on the left fender, then put your siren speaker on the rt. fender. To stay in keeping with a vintage look, and if you can find one, put a CP24 on the rt.fender. The CP24s are rare. They resemble a WG siren with a front grille rather than the short projector of a CP25. Then find an early PA10 Interceptor or a PA5 Director. Those would be in keeping with the vintage look, but a PA20 Interceptor or a PA15 Director would be fine. The early Interceptors and Directors had the Alert (steady tone) function; the later Intercetpors had the hi-lo function while the later Directors eliminated the Alert siren and only had wail,yelp, manual along with the PA and radio functions. Another suggestion would be in finding an original Penetrator siren. With that you would need a rounded speaker such as an SA24.

For your mechanical siren, use the traditional spring-loaded foot switch....not a pedal. Kevin at B&M has the foot switches available, but I'm not sure of the price. Some parts houses also have them. Now for a nice ass-kicker......find an old single-level "knuckle buster" ambulance cot or an old Ferno 54L two-level "lowboy" cot. That'll give you the full Rescue mode. Good luck and have fun!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Actually, you can put whatever you want on the Willy's wagon. But if you put the CP25 speaker on it and a 1970s vintage electronic siren to go with it (e.g. PA15A series 1E), don't tell anyone that they are 1950s era equipment (if you do, you would be lying).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.