Winter Park Tiller

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland

Seriously impressive how maneuverable this thing is...and am I wrong, or are those mini Vision LED bars on the cab?

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Yup, vision SLRs. Someone posted the WPFD TDA a few weeks ago. We have one because we have many narrow streets in my district, so the only way have a aerial access is via TDA; it is amazing how something that big can come close to turning on a dime.

PS notice the same background music used in feniex promo vids

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
With the light installed on the front, would this rig be called a Roto-tiller? :bonk:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
that really is impressive

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
August Arborists said:
That thing is seriously bad azz! Love the SLRs and Roto-Ray, but all those rigs could use some green lighting in there.

Why would they want green? The vast, vast majority of fire departments in the US don't use green as a warning light on fire dept apparatus. In Florida, specifically, Green is only used for IC command beacon or (in conjunction with amber) for private security.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
And the only Fire Departments that have green are mostly because of tradition, for example Chicago.

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
pdk9 said:
Why would they want green? The vast, vast majority of fire departments in the US don't use green as a warning light on fire dept apparatus. In Florida, specifically, Green is only used for IC command beacon or (in conjunction with amber) for private security.

I was born in Chicago, just miss the green on rigs. Most suburban depts. had some green as well, I'm just a nostalgic type of guy, I suppose.

Snibsey

Sep 12, 2012
UK
What a ridiculous piece of "design".

A European manufacturer could supply a turntable ladder appliance in a package a fraction the size of that behemoth: particularly for a low-rise, residential town like Winter Park.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Snibsey said:

A European manufacturer could supply a turntable ladder appliance in a package a fraction the size of that behemoth: particularly for a low-rise, residential town like Winter Park.
Welcome to the US, deal with it.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Snibsey said:

If it's any comfort, these are pretty rare. Smaller fire departments usually don't have an articulated truck like this, and a lot of departments only have one.

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
Snibsey said:

Please show me a european ladder truck with that much compartment space. All I could find was this. Even our smaller ladder trucks have more space.

4302.jpg

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Snibsey said:

And there's a REASON most Euro trucks (and cars, for that matter) are designed to be smaller...look at some of those response videos from over there, especially in the older parts of London and the other big cities throughout Europe. Roads that were plenty wide enough for donkey carts 300 years ago NEED smaller trucks. We generally don't have that problem over here.

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
Jep, I remember the first time riding down US1 to Key West some guys on the Stations I was visiting warned me of the small streets down there, and I always thought: "What small streets?" :D

But seriously, I don't think you can compare US to european units, strategies, etc.

I'd honestly love to have a rig like that in my station. But obviously it wouldn't even be able to reach my station. ;)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
pdk9 said:

Ditto in Texas. Green is for command vehicles only! I mention on another thread that DPS was giving some volunteers static about running blue in conjunction with existing red, claiming that blue was reserved for law enforcement. It's not, and the chief of the dept involved contacted DPS Austin and got it in writing that they could run blue as an auxiliary color. That worked out o.k.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
August Arborists said:
I was born in Chicago, just miss the green on rigs. Most suburban depts. had some green as well, I'm just a nostalgic type of guy, I suppose.

In 1977 my small ambulance service bought a '67 hightop Olds ambulance from a dealer in Arlington, TX. It had come from Lyons, Ill., and had a green tunnel light over the cab on the driver's side. That wouldn't work here in Texas, so we replaced the green with a big red sealed-beam.

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
Skip Goulet said:
In 1977 my small ambulance service bought a '67 hightop Olds ambulance from a dealer in Arlington, TX. It had come from Lyons, Ill., and had a green tunnel light over the cab on the driver's side. That wouldn't work here in Texas, so we replaced the green with a big red sealed-beam.

Yeah, green here in WY is I.C., but I bet that Olds looked good with that green tunnel. Usually it was on the right (passenger) side of the rigs if I remember correctly. Lyons could've been marching the their own drummer though, it's the Southwest suburbs, who knows what they're up to.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Snibsey said:

My 110' foot, 8 man cab, fully functioning ladder truck would disagree with you on it's design and would respectfully request that you pound sand.

View attachment 62383

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.