Wiring a Mechanical Siren with a "Single Lead Switch"

Mar 25, 2014
TX
Hello everyone,

I have an antique car, and I'm installing an antique mechanical siren on it.  I ordered an antique momentary switch to try to make it look period correct.  Oddly, the switch only has a single lead, similar to this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Single-Lead-Wire-Momentary-Action-Car-Auto-Engine-Stop-Switch-12VDC/1846805_32310960617.html

I'm trying to figure out how to wire it up.  My assumption is that the threads are the ground, and the single lead is the hot wire?  It mounts to a metal dashboard, so I suppose I could just wire it in at the end of the circuit, like so:

ai.imgur.com_ocvCjuW.png

Thoughts?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That's an engine stop switch.  I used something similar on a lawnmower with a broken throttle cable.  I wired it in to ground out the spark plug and kill the engine.

The single lead is continuous with the mounting bracket when the switch is depressed, and is an open circuit when the switch is released.  I believe that it would be correctly called a normally open momentary single-pole single-throw switch.

Instead of switching the positive side of the relay (or solenoid, depending on the number of amps your siren draws) switch the ground side.  Something like this:

ai.imgur.com_wqJ98en.png

Reactions: Retired1
Mar 25, 2014
TX
Actually, that works even better...I won't have to run much wiring at all!  I can keep the relay, siren, and fuse all in the same area with short runs of wire, and then just run one cable to the momentary switch.  Thanks!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Shues has it spot on. only change I'd make because I'm anal is that 85 should be the ground and 86 the power. But same results either way

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.