Wiring STT lights into current model Dodge pickups (full-size)

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
depending on where the lightbar is mounted, on the cab or headache rack, often the best place is to splice into the wires under the truck along the frame as they go the the back, on trucks with headache rack mounted bars this is very easy, if cab mounted you can run the wires out the fire wall and tap into the wires that go back to the rear of the truck.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Dodge does not have a current pick up.

The lighting on Ram trucks is all BCM now. The best way to add STT lights is through the trailer harness. There will be either a plug or blunt wires that are used for trailer STT lights. You might have to add a fuse to the slot in the fuse block. I am pretty sure all Ram trucks come with the towing wire package standard. If you just tap into the body wires, you will get fast ts flash, and possible abs and tcs/vsc lights on the instrument panel.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Hilo is right. The easiest way would be to tap into the trailer harness. If you have the year Ram, I would be more than happy to help look up the wires needed for the STT.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
why not intercept the trailer harness at the back of the cab? the wires are going to run to the rear at the plug, I agree if you have a dedicated trailer harness why not use that.

Jan 8, 2014
IL
John Hearne said:
I need to wire STT lights into a number of current Dodge pickups that will be receiving full-size lightbars. What is the best way to pickup the appropriate connections?

Just be careful and not short out the wires when tapping into the wires. The trucks heads and tails run an integrated TIPM and the fuse isnt located in the fuse box so it will require it to be taken back to the dealership if it is blown.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
emergency_ram12 said:
Just be careful and not short out the wires when tapping into the wires. The trucks heads and tails run an integrated TIPM and the fuse isnt located in the fuse box so it will require it to be taken back to the dealership if it is blown.

Wow that is a pain in the Arse

i would go back to were the trailer trailer connector is and hook it in there. i do a lot of add on STT and i always use the Trailer harness

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Shawn L said:
why not intercept the trailer harness at the back of the cab? the wires are going to run to the rear at the plug, I agree if you have a dedicated trailer harness why not use that.

The only issue with that Shawn, is that if the newer Rams are anything like my 04, you would need to open up the entire wiring harness, and covering just to trace it back. The downside to this is that the pigtail for the trailer harness is spliced into one of the pigtails for the circuit board tail lights....so essentially you would need to trace from the pigtail to the circuit board, then from there back to the cab....then pray that you don't nick a wire in the bundle as you try to undo the wrapping that they put on it...

IMO...make yourself a adapter that you could plug into the trailer pigtail, and still allow you to plug a trailer in if needed...would save you the time of having to splice into wires.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
if these trucks are not gonna have the stock beds/tow hitch the wires will be blunt cut at the rear. get a splice box like this 7-Breaker Junction Box 10-32 Threaded Studs

mount it under the rear of the truck. that away you can wire up the STT and also still have the trailer wiring avail i use those alot they work great

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
kitn1mcc said:
if these trucks are not gonna have the stock beds/tow hitch the wires will be blunt cut at the rear. get a splice box like this 7-Breaker Junction Box 10-32 Threaded Studs

mount it under the rear of the truck. that away you can wire up the STT and also still have the trailer wiring avail i use those alot they work great
+1 on this. Great item.

You can find them on Ebay for $13 and up. They're also commonly available at RV parts counters and trailer shops. They're used extensively on travel trailers, utility trailers, and more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.