Witness the "Birth" NOS Edge 9000 Chicago PD, lots of pix

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
A chance conversation led to a discovery late last week and in three days I had a Whelen box on my front porch. What showed up was a brand new in box 2004 build Whelen Edge 9000 Chicago Spec bar. You are witnessing its "birth"/unboxing first hand so to speak. As always nothing beats NOS/NIB stuff even if its not super "old". The 9000 series is long gone so this is a good find. All I need are the flag decals for the ceneter sections.

A couple of things to note, the bar is a 94068CPD, only 6 Strobe with only rear corners and STT red lamps to the rear, TD and Alley Lights. Pretty basic optioned bar, has a couple of flash patterns, including random, which, a word of warning do not use this pattern in the dark with no other lights activated, trust me....

The lenses on the TD and STT lamps are the more square optics. I have a 9808 with these for the TD, but never saw these for the STT lamps.

I am suprised for the era, there is little rear warning.

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 815.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 856.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 857.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 858.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 859.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 860.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 861.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 864.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 865.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 866.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 867.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 868.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 870.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 871.jpg

Nexus 5 Pics Winter 2015 863.jpg

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hmmm......wonder what seller that came from LOL............. :)  

Jeff, PM me I have something your missing for that bar! Nice bar mister!

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Nice light bar!

I really miss my Whelen Edge, it was a 12 strobe, with duplex alleys and TD's, my favorite light bar out of any I have owned, aside from my Patriot mini bar.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Awesome find Jeff!   :thumbsup:   You are also missing the beat tag holder not just the flag for it to be perfect!  :yes:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jph2 and kitn1mcc

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
You figure both bars on the Tahoes are fully populated?

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Can anyone tell me the history or reason behind using the STT function on the light bar like a Towmans bar? I've never seen a department use this option. I always thought they just were red rear flashers and only just found out they were STT lights.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Basically they are there, simply for additional visibility.

I if you are towing a car using a standard wheel lift, typically the brake lights on the truck are blocked by the car being towed.

If you are using a rollback, it is usually not as important, unless you have a vehicle on the wheel lift as well as the flat bed.

That is also why you see them use the light boxes that they either hang, or magnet lights they put on the roof or trunk.

Although, 9 times out of 10, those lights are required by law.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
First they are NOT STT (Stop Tail and Turn) lights, they are BRAKE lights ONLY,same concept as a third brake light.

Chicago PD has ran extra brake lights for many many years now. Starting with rear facing red lollipop lights on Chicago "highway patrol" cars back in the 60's then on the Mars bars on all "Traffic unit" cars as of 1971. It became a standard for all CPD patrol cars by 1974!( You can notice it in the Blues Brothers movie.)

The extra brake lights are simply for additional visibility and to avoid rear end collisions. In the late 60's CPD found that when the beacons are activated most people are focused on the flashing lights not on the tailights of the police car. This was obviously very dangerous for "highway patrol" cars who's followers where following at high speeds and would fail to notice the police car was slowing down or stopping. Then on Traffic unit cars for heavy congested traffic...etc...etc.... the rest is history and now you know.

This may also explain the limited rear warning on your bar Jeff, so as not to over power the focus on the brake "STT " lights.

PhotoCredit: Sgt. Greg Reynolds CPD/Copcar.com

2015-04-03 08.30.33.png

2015-04-03 08.32.54.png

2015-04-03 08.31.16.png

2015-04-03 08.33.30.png

2015-04-03 08.34.00.png

2015-04-03 09.40.10.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JollyRogerPCS

Nov 26, 2015
Chattanooga. TN
First they are NOT STT (Stop Tail and Turn) lights, they are BRAKE lights ONLY,same concept as a third brake light.

Chicago PD has ran extra brake lights for many many years now. Starting with rear facing red lollipop lights on Chicago "highway patrol" cars back in the 60's then on the Mars bars on all "Traffic unit" cars as of 1971. It became a standard for all CPD patrol cars by 1974!( You can notice it in the Blues Brothers movie.)

The extra brake lights are simply for additional visibility and to avoid rear end collisions. In the late 60's CPD found that when the beacons are activated most people are focused on the flashing lights not on the tailights of the police car. This was obviously very dangerous for "highway patrol" cars who's followers where following at high speeds and would fail to notice the police car was slowing down or stopping. Then on Traffic unit cars for heavy congested traffic...etc...etc.... the rest is history and now you know.

This may also explain the limited rear warning on your bar Jeff, so as not to over power the focus on the brake "STT " lights.

PhotoCredit: Sgt. Greg Reynolds CPD/Copcar.com

View attachment 135359

View attachment 135360

View attachment 135361

View attachment 135362

View attachment 135363

View attachment 135367

Not trying to bring up an old topic but I'm curious where you got your information that these are not STT? I bought one of these bars and with the standard wiring it functions as both brake lights and turn signals. 

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Not trying to bring up an old topic but I'm curious where you got your information that these are not STT? I bought one of these bars and with the standard wiring it functions as both brake lights and turn signals. 

Jenny is speaking by means of authenticity. Yes, you CAN hook up the lights however you so choose, hell you can put them on a flasher if you wanted, but CPD did NOT use them for anything but brake lights. So the comment about them not being STT lights means if CPD was installing this bar new on a car today, the installers would not hook them up to anything but the brake lights.

Hope that helps clear that up!

Reactions: JennyCop and Tony P

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
They are ST not STT. They are brake lights and turn signals. I've never seen any function as tail lights. The current fleet has about four different bars on 99% of the vehicles. 

To go back to a prior discussion about using anything in a pinch. I recently saw a beat car responding and there was an amber led module facing forward mixed in with all the blues on the bar. I wish I could've got a picture of that!

Rene Foppes

Aug 15, 2010
Amsterdam Netherlands
I presume serial numbers were unique, right? Can't be a whole batch had the same serial nr?
Seller quotes: "ya i used a pic of one. I have like 5 of them just used the same pic. To give a idea of what you are geeting"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.