Work Related Smart Phones

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Our BLS EMS service is looking to upgrade to smart phones. There will be 1 for each rig and 3 supervisor phones. They put me in charge of picking out the new phone. Some have suggested the Iphone. Management thinks it'd work, but I have my doubts.

Not only do Iphones break easy, but they require an apple ID, cost a butt ton of money, and don't have the programming functionality of androids.

I'd like to put the following apps on them:

RN Guide

ACLS Guide

Peds EMS Guide

NIMS ICS Guide

We'd also add a calculator. It'll mostly be used for communication between units, between hospitals, and GPS. We'd also be receiving dispatches through them. My main concern is A; using them with gloves on, and B; people putting other stuff on them. If possible, I'd like to be able to lock the Play Store.

So first, is there any phone model you recommend? What would work well? Any personal decisions you would have on getting one?

Any help is appreciated. I'm stumped!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Wait for the new blackberry. Also has the proper encryption/certifications which makes government agencies happy.

I would shy away from the iphone.. I have a samsung galaxy s3 (and a work blackberry) and while the s3 is an awesome phone, I would not recommend it for EMS use.

OH regardless what you go with, make sure you get otterbox defenders for it.

cdffireboy

Aug 27, 2012
california
Cal Fire recently made the switch from blackberrys to Androids.. so far one of the best that we have had good luck is the droid razer max by motorola.. good battery life,. good size screen and lots of acc av for them... of course as with any smart phone , u will still have the folks that can break them,

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
unlisted said:
Wait for the new blackberry. Also has the proper encryption/certifications which makes government agencies happy.

I would shy away from the iphone.. I have a samsung galaxy s3 (and a work blackberry) and while the s3 is an awesome phone, I would not recommend it for EMS use.

OH regardless what you go with, make sure you get otterbox defenders for it.

HOLY CRAP!!!! Someone else who actually likes the BlackBerry phone in this day & age?

Seriously, listen to Unlisted and wait 2 months for the new BB10 phones to be released. If nothing else, you won't be required to wear skinny jeans to use it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
I was looking at the Droid Razr M in black. Only setback, which all smart phones have, is that its touch screen, which is hard to use with nitrile gloves on. While I'd like to wait the 2 months for the new BB, they want them now. :rolleyes:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Personally, I don't know what carrier you are going to use, but if you want a rugged good working smart phone that WILL stand the test of time you should go with this;

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5634

I have seen, and we currently use this phone. It is water PROOF, not just water resistant or splash proof. I can literally take this phone, without a case even, and drop it in a bucket of water, take it out, wipe it off, and go on my way. Once you add an Otterbox Defender on this this it is virtually indestructible. If you want my honest opinion, I know it is VERY easy to get caught up when trying to purchase something because you want to get the best for the buck and so on, but if you can show that you can bring a quality product to the table with an inexpensive price tag, your chances for a return performance at the show it greatly increased.

This thing has all the bells and whistles of the other smart phones, and more. It has tools that are very helpful everyday. It's kinda like the not so pretty chick at prom that you are scared to go with but is just as crazy as slutty sandy next door.

With this price tag, you might even be able to get a few for what I call "seed stock". They are just phones that are bought that sit on the shelf until something else breaks or gets lost (because IT WILL HAPPEN). And lastly, with administrative functions on the account, through the web, you will be able to lock the phone down to using apps and whatever else is already on the phone, but no one will be able to add anything. It's a handy tool.

I have done many phone purchases over the years in the position I am in. I have gone through this all. I will be more than happy to help if you need it. But this is my honest opinion on what you should go with.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
ISU_Cyclone said:
My iPhone with the Otterbox Defender case survived a 55mph trip off the roof of my car. No damage whatsoever. Didn't break so easily.

I'm still rocking my old 3GS (3 years). Hasn't broken so easily either.

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
My company uses Blackberry's exclusively specifically because of the encryption/certification and security (?) of RIM's network. They experimented with the iPhone and came back with a resounding NO! So far I haven't had any issue with the Blackberry; its fast enough to do the things I need for work (calls, emails and texts) and seems pretty tough (unless you drop it in the toilet....). Besides, someone else is paying for it - free is my favorite price!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
...There is no smart phone out that that has the ruggedness, reliability and battery life need for EMS.

Just my $0.02

-Jared

Blackberry. Many EMS agencies (and fire, and police) all over Canada have been using them for well over a decade, and still use them to this day. Just need to be in a good protective case if its with frontline staff- which is where Otterbox comes in.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I think it is a terrible waste of money, for phones that will probably get dropped lost, stolen, have games put on them, not kept charged, etc and not have information easily accessible due to people not knowing how the phone is set up. If all you want are the Informed Guides just buy the booklets, and stick with the ones appropriate to the certification level of your personnel (don't buy RN books for Medics). The only thing you are going to gain from a phone is Epocrates, Medscape, or UpToDate, all of which is TMI (and too expensive save Medscape) for EMS. There is no smart phone out that that has the ruggedness, reliability and battery life need for EMS.

Just my $0.02

-Jared

We run RNs on some emergent calls and interfacility transfers.

I think its a waste too. Most of us just use our personal phones anyway. They won't get stolen, but if they were to be, I can guarantee they'd be found rather quickly. If the play store can be locked or deleted - then we wont have to worry. We already have phones through Verizon that work just fine, their GZone Flip phones.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
I have decided. We're going to go with the Motorola Razr M. Small enough but fits our needs. Thanks for all the suggestions, and advice.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I have the galaxy s3 in an otter defender case, in fact I'm dictating this message from the phone right now. The s3 is great, but the battery life isn't, fine for me since I'm either in the car plugged in or using Wi-Fi which uses one third the power of mobile data. But some people complain about the battery, and the rugged cases will not fit the extended battery.

BIG PLUS 1.. also, without the otterbox defender, I would not expect it to last more than a week in field use.. Or my own personal use.

Mind you all my phones for the past.. well over 6 years have all had otterboxes. Very good insurance.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
cdffireboy said:
Cal Fire recently made the switch from blackberrys to Androids.. so far one of the best that we have had good luck is the droid razer max by motorola.. good battery life,. good size screen and lots of acc av for them... of course as with any smart phone , u will still have the folks that can break them,

Or not know how they work, and never turn them on!

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
timlinson said:
I have decided. We're going to go with the Motorola Razr M. Small enough but fits our needs. Thanks for all the suggestions, and advice.

I know you said you already decided but I have a Casio Commando that runs Android and I've been happy with it. Extremely rugged even without an expensive case. Only complaint is it is SLOW and that means it can't run the latest Android software. For a work phone though, it is fine.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
unlisted said:
Blackberry. Many EMS agencies (and fire, and police) all over Canada have been using them for well over a decade, and still use them to this day.
And as someone who maintains about two dozen blackberries, I guarantee you they won't last another ten. RIM is folding.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
BB10 is the Wii/Wii-U of the cell phone industry in my honest opinion. You have an operating system that has been worked on and pushed back for years now while other companies (Apple/Android) have been pushing out multiple versions of an already existing OS.

The Wii-U has just come out with options that have been available on gaming consoles for years now. HDMI? PS3 had it in the old brick style. BB10 has some good features but I don't think it will have the ability to sustain the giant that once was RIM and the Blackberry name, and I think that is what he was pointing at.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.