WOW, Allen Park, MI FD Layoffs

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
3 things:

1. They shouldn't have bought that stupid property and need to get rid of it ASAP

2. I'm glad the towns people are standing up and fighting for their FD

3. I disagree with the OP, cops should not be the first to go. I worked for a dept that went from 5 a shift down to 3, and the vast majority of the time the SO and even state troopers were too busy to help us with calls unless it was an officer needing help and needing it now. You can always add to or even create a volunteer FD to assist the paid guys (that's what we do in my hometown and works great. We get called to fires and huge events, rest of the time the paid guys handle it and we come out and ride with them when we can) but if you don't have a PD, you are screwed. Instead of loosing people, they need to restructure their city departments better. Nothing hurts someone in public safety like being told you can't have new gear when the old stuff goes out, or no new vehicles, again, yet the city shop gets a new building and public works gets new trucks.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Cops first? Not sure what you're smoking dude... With all do respect, it's not that hard to find people to pull hoses.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Yes, cops first. This area would never go for all kinds of people driving all over the Downriver area with lights and sirens to get to the Allen Park Fire Station. It wouldn't happen and the city's attorney and insurance administrator would have a fit. Wayne County does NOT need a sheriff road patrol in the first place, but they seem to cling on to one. So, sign a contract with the sheriff's department and let them patrol the city. Every city and township in the Downriver area has a police department, the sheriff mostly patrols county parks and has assistance contract with some smaller departments. So they should jump at this. If it was my decision, they would stay in the jails and courts where they belong.

They are not like most of the sheriff agencies that they show on Cops that have a balls to the walls road patrol, with city and county cops tripping over each other. They're really not a necessity.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
badge22 said:
Yes, cops first. This area would never go for all kinds of people driving all over the Downriver area with lights and sirens to get to the Allen Park Fire Station. It wouldn't happen and the city's attorney and insurance administrator would have a fit. Wayne County does NOT need a sheriff road patrol in the first place, but they seem to cling on to one. So, sign a contract with the sheriff's department and let them patrol the city. Every city and township in the Downriver area has a police department, the sheriff mostly patrols county parks and has assistance contract with some smaller departments. So they should jump at this. If it was my decision, they would stay in the jails and courts where they belong.

They are not like most of the sheriff agencies that they show on Cops that have a balls to the walls road patrol, with city and county cops tripping over each other. They're really not a necessity.

99% of cops aren't like what you see on cops... even cops from the same department as on tv. Hell, you can have 10 people on the same shift, with the same training, all FTO'ed by the same person, and you will have 10 different types of cops.

As for the city attorney not liking vollies, who cares? They don't have to run lights. And people will get used to the idea of having a VFD when it comes to getting ride of people who go on 3 or 4 calls in 24 hrs or those who go on 12-20 in 12 hrs. Plus, VFD's can have fund raisers a lot easier than a PD.

If the SO doesn't need a patrol, get rid of it and let people funnel that tax money into the PD. People bitch that cops ask for a new car every 3 years while the FD will make a truck last 12+. When that engine goes off line, it has the same miles as a patrol car after 2 on the street.

Tell you what, if you think cops are such a waste of money, ask those the public what they would rather have: a 5 min longer response time to a house fire which fill training volunteers will be fighting, or a 5 min longer response time to a rape in progress, domestic with weapons and kids, or even a person not breathing (since both my departments are dispatched along w fire and ems, and we often get their first with an AED, ambu bag, and min of first responder training) due to a dep coming from the other side of the county or a PD being so short staffed they can't even respond.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
RL1 said:
99% of cops aren't like what you see on cops... even cops from the same department as on tv. Hell, you can have 10 people on the same shift, with the same training, all FTO'ed by the same person, and you will have 10 different types of cops.

As for the city attorney not liking vollies, who cares? They don't have to run lights. And people will get used to the idea of having a VFD when it comes to getting ride of people who go on 3 or 4 calls in 24 hrs or those who go on 12-20 in 12 hrs. Plus, VFD's can have fund raisers a lot easier than a PD.

If the SO doesn't need a patrol, get rid of it and let people funnel that tax money into the PD. People bitch that cops ask for a new car every 3 years while the FD will make a truck last 12+. When that engine goes off line, it has the same miles as a patrol car after 2 on the street.

Tell you what, if you think cops are such a waste of money, ask those the public what they would rather have: a 5 min longer response time to a house fire which fill training volunteers will be fighting, or a 5 min longer response time to a rape in progress, domestic with weapons and kids, or even a person not breathing (since both my departments are dispatched along w fire and ems, and we often get their first with an AED, ambu bag, and min of first responder training) due to a dep coming from the other side of the county or a PD being so short staffed they can't even respond.

1. I am a former cop

2. I am from the area

3. I know how things will go down

4. This area started with on call fire departments, they won't go back

5. There is more to this issue than what the citizens may or may not think, duh, if it mattered, they probably wouldn't be in this fix.

6. If you think trucks will be delayed only 5 mins. longer, you have never been to the area.

7. You will find few business owners that will allow people to leave work to go on calls.

I like on call fire fighters, just not Downriver, it would be a disaster. Period. Sheriff would do just fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.