x2 100w or 1 200w siren speaker ??

tahoeppv

Aug 31, 2013
El Paso, TX
Need to redo a siren for my buddy. He has a 100w siren but it doesnt seem loud at all. That might be because the speaker is behind his grill but he needs/ wants to go louder...

My question what will sound louder?

X2 100w speakers run parallel or x1 200w speaker ??

Let me k ow your opinions and experiences guys....TM

hotmix_4x4

Aug 12, 2013
Jakarta - Indonesia
tahoeppv said:
Need to redo a siren for my buddy. He has a 100w siren but it doesnt seem loud at all. That might be because the speaker is behind his grill but he needs/ wants to go louder...
My question what will sound louder?

X2 100w speakers run parallel or x1 200w speaker ??

Let me k ow your opinions and experiences guys....TM

based on what siren do you use, is it 100watt siren or 200watt siren

based on my experience, 100watt siren will louder when using 200watt speaker than 100watt speaker

but 200watt siren will louder when using 2x 100watt speaker than 1x 200watt speaker

P1808

Jun 2, 2010
Florida
if you use two 100w speaker in series together you do not get the same power as a 200w speaker all this does is create a variation in the sounds that come out of each speaker but does not enhance the noise it makes. i run 2 100w speakers in my patrol car and have compared it to the same car with just one and there is no discernible difference in the intensity but there is a difference in sound (if that makes sense) if he wants louder go 200w no question it will blow the 100w out of the water but make sure that the speaker is not blocked in the front side, you don't want anything that can throw the sound back towards you, there is a reason that fire truck mount it in the bumper.

just keep in mind the siren control box might only be able to push 100w so no matter how many speakers you put on it you still get 100w.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
adding 100 watts of power does not "blow it out of the water..."

it adds 3db of noticeable audio

blowing it out of the water would be this....

May 21, 2010
Miami FL
Jarred J. said:
adding 100 watts of power does not "blow it out of the water..."

it adds 3db of noticeable audio

blowing it out of the water would be this....

OMG...

You will get deaf in 3, 2, 1...

This is insane... Come on... Those are just crazy...

I have to put it down the volume in my iphone...

marionso14

Mar 5, 2012
US Mississippi
If you are pushing them with a 200w siren, then IMO its better to use 2-100w speakers if you have the room to mount them.. the db output will be the same however the sound will be more spread out using two speakers. And two 100w speakers are cheaper than a single 200w speaker

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Look at where he's got the speaker mounted, and the speaker itself.  Make sure the speaker he's using has the longest "bell" available/that will fit.  Doesn't increase the actual output, but increases the perceived "throw".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeyJ159

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.