Yankee 350N

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Picked this up and not sure if it's worth doing anything with. It's in pretty good shape except for the dome. It works, lights up and spins fine. The motor is stamped 2 2 76.

DSC_0168 (Medium).JPG DSC_0169 (Medium).JPG DSC_0170 (Medium).JPG

Someone put a Dietz 77-234 dome on it which is too small. They did put a neat little ring on it to support the dome along with about 2 quarts of sealer, which ...well, ruined the dome.

DSC_0172 (Medium).JPG DSC_0173 (Medium).JPG

I am seeing if there is a dome for it available somewhere. I would like a clear one, but will settle for anything but amber.

My question on this post is.... what other brand dome will also fit on this beacon..

Reactions: jph2

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Love how the crazing looks on the dome in the first pic. Looks like a cool effect. Cool light good luck on dome search.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Love how the crazing looks on the dome in the first pic. Looks like a cool effect. Cool light good luck on dome search.

I agree, looks like electricity. If it looked like that with the beams spinning I would leave it like that, but unfortunately, it is just an effect from the camera flash.

Reactions: JennyCop

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
This will use a dome with an 8-1/2 base, same as a Fed Mod 14 or 11. Anybody have a clear one?

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Here's the one (Yankee 350N) I recently picked up. I did have to do some work on the base. The dome is decent but has a few small hairline cracks around the bottom edge. The rubber gasket of these Yankees makes a nice seal and does support the bottom edge of the dome. I think its one of the better gaskets that Ive seen. Its not a perfect light but it shows well.007 (2).JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Those are great looking lights. I"m going to have a little trouble restoring the band on this one, as it is just dabs of color. I was hoping they were indentations so I could just recolor it.. Do you know what year your lights were made?

I have found a dome that will fit, that is pretty darn cheap. **The North American Signal 250-33X dome is a perfect fit. The Yankee base is 8-3/4" outside width and is 3-3/8" inside width because of a lip I don't see on yours. The Dietz dome that was on this one fits perfect with the gasket that was on it and it is 8-3-8" wide. I contacted NAS and their 250-33X dome is 8-1/4" wide. It is only $20 and comes in Amber, Blue, Clear, Red or Green. I think I am going to give it a try, as I will not likely find a clear Yankee globe.

If 894 finds one I will still go for an original in any color.

NAS 250.JPG

**NOTE::: The 250-33X did not fit. That was an error by NAS. The specs they sent were for the 400-33C which is actually a Stratolite 77. The 250-33X is 7-7/8 inches in diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmathieu

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Just for the record, my NAS 250-33C came today and they were wrong about the size. They told me it was 8.25 diameter at the base with the lip. It is only 7-7/8... way too small for my light..... Drat... back to the drawing board..

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Well I got the Yankee cleaned up. Not sure what to do about the tag yet. It is just tiny paint dabbs that spell out the name. I've never seen another one like it. I cleaned all around it and touched it up just a little. The new dome would not fit it, but my Signal Stat 312 dome (77-234) fit it perfectly and the new dome fit the Signal Stat perfectly so I just switched them. It is a Stratolite 77 sold by NAS for their 400-33. The only problem is the bottom lip is too thick to fit the Yankee gasket otherwise it was the right size.

DSC_0255 (Small).JPG DSC_0250 (Small).JPG

Reactions: Wigwam700

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
There ya go! Sometimes you gotta find the lemonade to make things work out like that. I put a clear Dietz 212 dome on my Federal CJ184 from my first Dietz 211 beacon because I knew that finding a clear 184 dome was going to take a while and cost $$$. I also just acquired another Dietz 211 beacon that had a blue dome and had a spare red Dietz dome doing nothing. So, I cleaned up the red dome and stuck it on the one 211, and the clear went to the CJ184! Plus, I like the look much better than the stock dome.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
By the way, I colored that red light with Testors 1605 Transparent Candy Cane Spray Enamel. It looks a lot better than it does in the video. I am also experimenting with a homemade paint that looks even better. Will share that when I get it perfected. It's made from flour, sugar, and salt and gives a clear crystal effect.

41h4hBmIERL.jpg

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
By the way, I colored that red light with Testors 1605 Transparent Candy Cane Spray Enamel. It looks a lot better than it does in the video. I am also experimenting with a homemade paint that looks even better. Will share that when I get it perfected. It's made from flour, sugar, and salt and gives a clear crystal effect.

View attachment 153656
Ive used Testors 1605 Candy Cane spray on an amber dome that was in real bad shape just to see how it would turn out. The painted dome is on the left. I found that its hard to get a smooth finish after it sets so I would say that was the biggest draw back. Its also darker.003.JPG

Reactions: Wigwam700

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I've tried that Testors Candy Cane on a bulb once and was very disappointed in the results. It showed up more pink than red and that was after 3 coats, letting it dry for an hour after each one, then a full day of drying.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Reactions: Skulldigger

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Right here..
http://www.elightbars.org/forums/threads/bulb-coloring.58687/

I've for the most part replaced this process with the colored Par36 gel filters.
But that is not an option on some lights.

This is correct. For lamp holders using the wire clamps, the colored gel filters will work with some effort to close into place. But, for beacons that use top and bottom bulb holders with a tightening screw on top of the rotator carriage to keep the bulbs in place, the gels will not stay.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Well I got the Yankee cleaned up. Not sure what to do about the tag yet. It is just tiny paint dabbs that spell out the name. I've never seen another one like it. I cleaned all around it and touched it up just a little. The new dome would not fit it, but my Signal Stat 312 dome (77-234) fit it perfectly and the new dome fit the Signal Stat perfectly so I just switched them. It is a Stratolite 77 sold by NAS for their 400-33. The only problem is the bottom lip is too thick to fit the Yankee gasket otherwise it was the right size.

View attachment 153652 View attachment 153653

Thanks for sharing

I haven't looked for it recently, but I used a "stained glass" brush-on paint from Hobby Lobby--painted onto a Pyrex tube over my Whelen DMS (clear dome) strobe tube. I used an exacto knife to cut a ring out to give it the Unity Spitfire effect. Worked great (pinstripe tape would work better). Did one in blue for my LEO brother. I like brush-on as it allows you to control "depth" of color (multiple coats).

I know Testors makes bottles of translucent acrylic paints in red, blue, amber and many other colors for model building...I've used on many 1/24th beacons--bet they would work on life-size.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I just picked this Yankee 351 up which is the sister to the 350N. The 351 has magnetic feet. Im not a big fan of amber, but this light was too nice to turn away. I suspect it is an NOS light. With the exception of a few minor marks here and there, it is very clean and I dont think it was ever mounted.005.JPG 007.JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Very nice. I am still keeping an eye out for a Yankee dome, they are unique in design. I do like that one, it looks more yellow than the typical orange.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
I just picked this Yankee 351 up which is the sister to the 350N. The 351 has magnetic feet. Im not a big fan of amber, but this light was too nice to turn away. I suspect it is an NOS light. With the exception of a few minor marks here and there, it is very clean and I dont think it was ever mounted.View attachment 153859 View attachment 153863

I have one in blue, great beacons..

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_Red_20Yankee_20Beacon_IMG00240_20110506_1259.jpg
Chris

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
8 5/8 might be close, but will not fit the gaskey for sure. Not sure how the dome would fit without it,

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.