At 37 seconds...that is just insane.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Lead Florida Highway Patrol on an 18 mile chase at nearly 100 MPH gets you

- $50 fine

- Suspended 30 days without pay

- Loss of take home vehicle for 1 year

Yet, you still get to keep your job..wow!

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
Lead Florida Highway Patrol on an 18 mile chase at nearly 100 MPH gets you

- $50 fine

- Suspended 30 days without pay

- Loss of take home vehicle for 1 year

Yet, you still get to keep your job..wow!

Is that the first guy that ran in his cruiser? The fine seems low, I bet there are a LOT of traffic offenses for which he could have been charged. Not sure if its reasonable to take someones job away for that, but I certainly think a 30 day suspension is appropriate, perhaps with some type of counseling and at least 1 trip to a psychologist...

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
question is whats going on in south florida were the fhp goes after other depts thats unheard of around here

Jan 4, 2012
Central, Florida
kitn1mcc said:
question is whats going on in south florida were the fhp goes after other depts thats unheard of around here

Because FHP seems to be so elite :duh: :hopeless: . I no up north if they pull you over they give you a free pass. down here they write u

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
5309 said:
Because FHP seems to be so elite :duh: :hopeless: . I no up north if they pull you over they give a free pass. down here they write u
This isn't a matter of elite, its a matter of the law. The speed limit is the speed limit. When I am on duty, there are laws that allow me to speed etc. Nothing protects me off duty (unless its police business, in which case its considered on duty), certainly not in my personal vehicle...

That is commonly referred to as extending courtesy. Each officer has a limit about how much courtest they are willing to extend. There is no guarentee that you will get a free pass, nor should there be. Personally, I get irritated at a lot of the crap that I see off-duty cops do, and then expect to get away with. Its even more annoying when its a family member of a cop... especially those with bad attitudes. Bottom line, you need to be accountable for your actions and be willing to except the ticket for 92 mph if you are indeed guilty. If a cop decides to give you a pass, you better be very appreciative and slow down...

Virginia State Police are notorious for not giving breaks. I hope that if I stop you for speeding in my neck of the woods, you come off a little more humble than you did in your post. I haven't written a cop yet, but I no longer have a hard and fast rule that I won't in the future...

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
mcpd2025 said:
This isn't a matter of elite, its a matter of the law. The speed limit is the speed limit. When I am on duty, there are laws that allow me to speed etc. Nothing protects me off duty (unless its police business, in which case its considered on duty), certainly not in my personal vehicle...

That is commonly referred to as extending courtesy. Each officer has a limit about how much courtest they are willing to extend. There is no guarentee that you will get a free pass, nor should there be. Personally, I get irritated at a lot of the crap that I see off-duty cops do, and then expect to get away with. Its even more annoying when its a family member of a cop... especially those with bad attitudes. Bottom line, you need to be accountable for your actions and be willing to except the ticket for 92 mph if you are indeed guilty. If a cop decides to give you a pass, you better be very appreciative and slow down...

Virginia State Police are notorious for not giving breaks. I hope that if I stop you for speeding in my neck of the woods, you come off a little more humble than you did in your post. I haven't written a cop yet, but I no longer have a hard and fast rule that I won't in the future...

And this is why I pay attention in your AO. If I'm wrong I expect to get rung up, if I get a pass I say thank you and count myself lucky. Of course if it's you that pulls me over, I expect all things to get doubled. :D

Be safe over there.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
mcpd2025 said:

I don't know about that. They've given me a break several times in the pasr 20 years.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
SlickTop Solutions said:
And this is why I pay attention in your AO. If I'm wrong I expect to get rung up, if I get a pass I say thank you and count myself lucky. Of course if it's you that pulls me over, I expect all things to get doubled. :D

Be safe over there.
I'm basking in the sun in Florida right now... speed away in Montgomery County!!!

Phillyrube said:
I don't know about that. They've given me a break several times in the pasr 20 years.
I have never been cited by VSP either. I know plenty of cops who have though.

May 20, 2010
Mission, Texas RGV
FHP is doing the right thing IMO doesent matter if its a civilian vehicle or patrol unit the klaw is the law and you should know since you a cop LOL

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Luismariadarlene said:
FHP is doing the right thing IMO doesent matter if its a civilian vehicle or patrol unit the klaw is the law and you should know since you a cop LOL

180px-Dr-claw.jpg

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
kitn1mcc said:
was this his POV or unmarked county vehicle

Who cares. If it's travelling at a high rate of speed, and isn't clearly visible as being a police vehicle, it should get stopped. If the driver doesn't want to stop, he should get wrote.

Before I retired, I had no problem giving a fellow LEO a warning. Most that get spotted speeding will pretty much pull over on their own when you turn on them. It's a matter of simple courtesy. If they don't respect you, why respect them?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.