Your department and facebook pages?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So...I want to submit a proposal to our BOD to start an official facebook page for my department. I've been reading the FAQ on facebook's website, but I want to get a feeling from those of you who already have official pages in place. Do you feel it's benificial for community relations? Does it help organize members? Have you had any administrative snags or unauthorized activity on your page?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
vonirkinshtine said:
So...I want to submit a proposal to our BOD to start an official facebook page for my department. I've been reading the FAQ on facebook's website, but I want to get a feeling from those of you who already have official pages in place. Do you feel it's benificial for community relations? Does it help organize members? Have you had any administrative snags or unauthorized activity on your page?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

My volunteer fire department has a page and it works great for public relations, our only problem is keeping it updated. I've seen other departments in our area with facebook pages and they do a number of different things, from photos of trainings and special events, to listing every call they go on. I've also seen them used for members as training and meeting reminders as well.

Our Department uses it to remind people to change batteries in smoke detectors and get their chimneys inspected etc.

I think if used properly it is an extremely effective tool to get info out in today's society, where everyone including their grandma (literally) has facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Grotonems5 said:
I think if used properly it is an extremely effective tool to get info out in today's society, where everyone including their grandma (literally) has facebook.

+1!! We have several departments in our area using it as well as our local EMA.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
My department has it as well. In fact I am the one that maintains it. Anyone can join the page but only a select few can make post. others can only after they join the page. The page is monitored so if anyone post anything that isn't necessary then it gets removed. We usually use it to keep the community aware of things

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
I am seeing more and more FB organizational pages for Fire and EMS agencies and even some PDs.

Kinda odd to see a Fire Dept playing farmville though. Some local agencies here have bylaws in place to restrict members from posting some infos on FB. I am required to remove street addresses, license plates ,some names and even some faces from photos and tags. Nothing like watching in-fighting in an agency between members or ex members online. Looks so professional!

If you do create one make sure it is not a personal FB page. Again, weird to see a FD playing farmville or any other game apps. There is enough drama as it is sometimes without a social networking site to compound things

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
wkr518 said:
If you do create one make sure it is not a personal FB page

This!

Some people dont know the difference, between a personal page and a business/organization page. However, inorder to start a business/organization page, one typically must have a personal page.

the local Ford dealer has a personal page, even though I explained the difference to the person in charge of that. Another local Ford dealer is in the same situation.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
wkr518 said:
I am required to remove street addresses, license plates ,some names and even some faces from photos and tags.

THIS!

I could see this being a big thing if members start posting pictures from incidents. I would want to have language to the effect of...

"Content posted to the department's facebook page may NOT contain any specific reference to, or identifying features of, places, vehicles, victims, etc."

10-50's come to mind specifically. I'd hate to get into a tangle with Patient's Bill Of Rights. I think it's fine to show a picture of a scene or operation as long as you can't specifically identify who where or why.

So, I think that's a serious consideration. No licences plates, house numbers, pictures of people other than department members.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
vonirkinshtine said:
THIS!

I could see this being a big thing if members start posting pictures from incidents. I would want to have language to the effect of...

"Content posted to the department's facebook page may NOT contain any specific reference to, or identifying features of, places, vehicles, victims, etc."

10-50's come to mind specifically. I'd hate to get into a tangle with Patient's Bill Of Rights. I think it's fine to show a picture of a scene or operation as long as you can't specifically identify who where or why.

So, I think that's a serious consideration. No licences plates, house numbers, pictures of people other than department members.

I have to get proof read on FB and agency website when I post photos and calls for this exactly

Have had a few removed by request of a firematic officer

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Can you guys post links to your department's pages? I'd like to check some of them out to see how they're organized.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Well, I got our BOD to approve a page. They want a usage policy in place though before the page goes public. Could any of you e-mail me your department's media (or "social media") policy so that I can have some building blocks to draft ours?

PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Thanks!

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
vonirkinshtine said:
Well, I got our BOD to approve a page. They want a usage policy in place though before the page goes public. Could any of you e-mail me your department's media (or "social media") policy so that I can have some building blocks to draft ours?

PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Thanks!

Doug said:

Check out the link I posted previously; it's a directory of various SM policies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.