CT State Trooper Cars...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here is a Whelen Deputy used by CSP. Etched with CSP, and the trooper's badge # 424.

Before they started using lightbars, they used, back in the 1960s and 1970s, portable RED magnetic mount Deputys, Corporals, Vitalites, or Fire Balls as the primary lighting.

S6302516.jpg

S6302515.jpg

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
dmathieu said:
Here is a Whelen Deputy used by CSP. Etched with CSP, and the trooper's badge # 424.
Before they started using lightbars, they used, back in the 1960s and 1970s, portable RED magnetic mount Deputys, Corporals, Vitalites, or Fire Balls as the primary lighting.

wow nice classic. Thanks for sharing.

That light looks durable

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
11b101abn said:
Still, none of that is an argument that relates to the marking of the cars.

Visibility is deterrence, which is a primary mission of LE, in general. A marked car is a component of deterrence. SO, mark the cars and increase the visibilty and deterrence value of the cars.

Stealth is stupid in a patrol car. It is necessary for specialized units, but in a GP car, markings are necessary.

Additionally, marked patrol units contribute to the safety and confidence of the public that the car with the blinkies is actually an officer and not an imposter with robbery or rape on his mind. Many people, myself included, will not stop for an unmarked car, yield sure, stop no. For an entire agency, primarily responsible for traffic enforcement, to operate in unmarked cars is foolish, hopefully someone in the CT legislature will force a change to this unsafe and misguided practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I appreciate our CSP vehicles. Everyone in Connecticut knows what a CSP vehicle looks like. So why would it matter if its marked or not. You can't really mistake another vehicle for one because of the amount of lights on them and the "STATE POLICE" in amber on the center of the bar. Technically the CSP is on all of the time, but most guys won't pull someone over when they are off duty unless its a felony stop. As soon as the lights go on or the cruise lights go on, its very easy to tell what's a CSP vehicle and whats not. IMO if you were driving one, you might agree.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
AerodyMANIAC said:
Many years ago...

There are many different types of safety and anti-theft devices used on police cars... While this information is not "secret," and you of course still have your rights to free speech, perhaps next time you can take your joy in not sharing and knowing that you know someing about police cars that most people don't.

Also, I don't want to have to learn a new way a vehicle is set up just because word gets around the Internet to the scum bags out there.

;)

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
NFD-102 said:
Everyone in Connecticut knows what a CSP vehicle looks like. So why would it matter if its marked or not.

What about people traveling through from other states where volunteers or medics use vehicles that might look similar?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
BackYardSales said:
What about people traveling through from other states ...

I was going to say the same thing. In GA, police cars have to be marked with at least 3 inch lettering to conduct traffic stops in other then extreme situations. I would be very weary of stopping for an unmarked car with a push bumper, with or with out a light bar.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Doesn't Indianapolis have a take home policy with fully marked cars?? If you want to be able to drive a police car car all the time, you should have to put up with it looking like a police car..

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Just my $0.02

My state, the lovely Commonwealth of Massachusetts, has a long standing history of unmarked police cars... both Local and State Police... and I think it's works just fine and wouldn't think of changing it.

Prohibiting the use of unmarks because someone *may* buy a CV to pull unsuspecting women over would be like prohibiting the ownership of guns because someone *may* use one to kill somebody.

The problem isn't the unmarked car, the problem is the person behind the wheel.

And in the case of the unmarked car, the person being pulled over can always call 911 or seek out the local PD or a well lit area to stop. Sure, I may be pissed at first if you don't pull over immediately, but if you signal, conduct, and explain yourself responsibly, I'll get over it.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Zack said:
Just my $0.02

My state, the lovely Commonwealth of Massachusetts, has a long standing history of unmarked police cars... both Local and State Police... and I think it's works just fine and wouldn't think of changing it.

Prohibiting the use of unmarks because someone *may* buy a CV to pull unsuspecting women over would be like prohibiting the ownership of guns because someone *may* use one to kill somebody.

And in the case of the unmarked car, the person being pulled over can always call 911 or seek out the local PD or a well lit area to stop. Sure, I may be pissed at first if you don't pull over immediately, but if you signal, conduct, and explain yourself responsibly, I'll get over it.

i agree and would feel the same way

:thumbsup:

NiftyX

Jan 20, 2012
Oklahoma, US
Zack said:
Just my $0.02

I agree as well. I've had people drive a mile (in the city) to make it to a gas station before they stopped for me at night. As long as they somehow signal their intentions, I would rather them be safe. And my car is fully marked with 'POLICE' on the hood as well as a Vision lightbar.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
I skipped most of the responses above, but here is the deal.

CSP issues the CVPI's with removable lightbars to all road troopers with the rank of M/Sgt and below. The current configuration is:

Standard Whelen Liberty (with quick disconnect) with the LED backlit "STATE POLICE" sign that turns on with the cruise lights

Whelen Cencom

Pair or rear deck lights

2150 HLF

Motorola ASTRO Spectra W4 or APX7500 mobile radio (700/800MHz enabled only)

Havis Console

Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 or newer

Intergrated GPS/Data antenna antenna

Push bumper

LT's and above will get a CVPI that with the street appearence package or standard without the spot light or computer setup unless position requires it. Usually these may or may not have deck lights. All cars ordered in the last few years are silver. Some blue and other colors are still around, but not much longer. Other higher ranks bosses will have other types of vehicles as required/needed.

Prior to this blue, sliver, brown, grey, maroon and everything in between was ordered depending on pricing. Cars were ordered without AM/FM radios until about 1991? when that option actually costed more money then having one.

Previous bars were Whelen diagnostic 9000s using the PCDS-9 controllers. Prior to that they had some of the first generation Edge 9000's and specific to CSP (AFAIK) flashed in/out (all corners then all inner strobes). They also experimented with 9000's with the internal T/A but never caught on with the masses at the time. My former Capt pushed for them, but the major didn't want them to look like "tow trucks". The same capt also wanted MX7000's installed at Troop F to try to get better pricing from Whelen by showing them they had competior. That didn't happen either.

CSP troopers by contract are able to take the cars home and use them for resonable personal use and can take them out of state with geographical limitations in NY, MA, RI. All cars can be GPS tracked reguardless if the MDT is on or not. Also stipuated is that they are required respond to all emergencies in the state and stop for accidents, willful law violations etc if in the vehicle off duty (or at least inform the responsible area troop if unable to stop). All plates are standard (but grouped) passenger plates. Troopers area actually on duty 30mins prior to the "shift starting" and 30mins afterwards. This is usually referred to as GP or General patrol when they are on their way home...ie "don't send me to anything unless really nessesary". :)

Troopers are allowed to add on extra lights/equipment as long as it does not interface or interfere with the departments equipment (specifics are in the general orders). When Arthur Spada was the commssioner, he was all about visiability and reqiured on duty troopers to have little metal blue plates attached to the trunks that said "State Trooper". When he left, the plates were thrown away by everyone. No one liked it.

Each troop in the early 2000's were given white marked "Community Policing" vehicles. Most sported the usual light package, some have the rear Fastrax lightbar. This lettering style became standard for the specialized units vehicle trucks/command post, etc. The only cars still in everyday use is at Troop H (aka Troop W at the airport) being used by the last couple of Aiport Police Officers. One CVPI and an Expedition. Troop F has/had a Fastrax car and I think the rest have been retired but a couple might be around. Auxillary troopers where usually assigned to them or if a trooper was being a screw up, the Sgt or Troop CO might have that trooper drive it on their shift as punishment.

Thats the quick unedited skinny.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
JediTalen said:
Additionally, marked patrol units contribute to the safety and confidence of the public that the car with the blinkies is actually an officer and not an imposter with robbery or rape on his mind. Many people, myself included, will not stop for an unmarked car, yield sure, stop no. For an entire agency, primarily responsible for traffic enforcement, to operate in unmarked cars is foolish, hopefully someone in the CT legislature will force a change to this unsafe and misguided practice.

Its all in what you know. What may not work in your area, works out east (and in CT) very well. Its something that has always been. You might like your Starbucks Grande, but we don't force our large Dunkin Donuts on you. The CSP is not a primarly traffic agency. In many parts of the state, they are primary law enforcement (and primary on the interstates and many major state routes). Painting with a broad brush does not apply.

Can you tell me the difference between CVPI behind you that has no markings on it vs a CVPI behind you with door markings when signalling you to stop? I bet you can't.

IIRC, most impersonations typically occur during dark hours and the common person would not know that the vehicle behind them displaying lights is a CVPI, Impala or a Honda Civic. Lights are lights.

As far as trafffic enforcement, off duty CSP, local police and some taxi's tend to slow people down on the highway as they cannot tell if its a LEV or not, which means that current use is working.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
How do they respond to emergencies 'off duty' with their light bar off?

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
RL1 said:
How do they respond to emergencies 'off duty' with their light bar off?

Put the lightbar on or go SlickTop. They fit in the trunk and only takes a min to put on.

-Phone call from troop or everbridge system to the member

-Put on uniform or whatever is needed if at home

-Get in car and go

By emergencies, I am referring to something large scale. Troop wide or statewide mobilizations are rare. It's usually the ESU or other specialized units that get the calls routinely.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
PJH said:
By emergencies, I am referring to something large scale. Troop wide or statewide mobilizations are rare. It's usually the ESU or other specialized units that get the calls routinely.

Ahh, ok. I thought they meant crimes in progress (robbery, burglary, fights) and endangering traffic offenses that would require an immediate response.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Last I heard they are experimenting with the CVPI Sedan and the Caprice. CSP bought a good amount of old style CVPI's when they were last offered to maximize equipment, etc.

Bizkitjmd1

May 21, 2010
CT in good old US of A
CSP also has almost enough replacement cars at the Academy for the majority of the fleet

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I think its pretty awesome that they don't vinyl their fleet. can remember passing wrecks or radar traps where there was a mustang, maybe a camaro, couple of vics ane NoNe of em lettered, and yet you knew every one was CSP. Pretty cool scene to see, cooler than bein lettered up

As for the "increased presence" in the community, i think the types that are doing wrong probably see an unmarked vic faster than a striped one..

Its one of those quirky things like Cali's sted red... let em have it.!.. :cool:

Nov 7, 2011
New England
StEaLtH2 said:
I think its pretty awesome that they don't vinyl their fleet. can remember passing wrecks or radar traps where there was a mustang, maybe a camaro, couple of vics ane NoNe of em lettered, and yet you knew every one was CSP. Pretty cool scene to see, cooler than bein lettered up

As for the "increased presence" in the community, i think the types that are doing wrong probably see an unmarked vic faster than a striped one..

Its one of those quirky things like Cali's sted red... let em have it.!.. :cool:

I agree its just spending money that doesn't have to be spent to letter them in my opinion. To each their own, and I can see both sides of the argument, but Everybody knows a crown vic with a lightbar and pushbar and antenna's is a LE vehicle.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
way back in the low band days it was not hard to spot to the antenna

the new 800mhz roof mounted stick out

the DEEP has marked and unmarked units

the game wardens are all unmarked

the state of CT ENCON Police run white cars fully marked in green

DEP: State Environmental Conservation Police

the DEP hazmat units are unmarked but marked state plate

the DMV cops fully marked

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I always got a kick out of seeing just about any, and all, color state cruisers when I drove through CT.

And remember the good old days when the Whelen lightbars were all blue? No red up top at all.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
PJH said:
Last I heard they are experimenting with the CVPI Sedan and the Caprice. CSP bought a good amount of old style CVPI's when they were last offered to maximize equipment, etc.

I am sure you meant the Police Interceptor Sedan and now the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, that is out of production.

Whelen

Dec 5, 2012
NY
On all csp cars with liberty's, as soon as the slide switch goes into position 1 (front), or position 2 (rear), or position 3 (360), the state police sign automatically lights up. On the brand new cars within the last 2 years, the cruise lights also come on along with the sign.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Whelen said:
On all csp cars with liberty's, as soon as the slide switch goes into position 1 (front), or position 2 (rear), or position 3 (360), the state police sign automatically lights up. On the brand new cars within the last 2 years, the cruise lights also come on along with the sign.

On all Liberty's (and the 9000 diagnosix strobe bars) the cruise lights always came on with the sign.

Whelen

Dec 5, 2012
NY
The 9000's, never saw any cars that would activate cruise lights by slide switch. Only by button.

I am referring to the Liberty's. Yes, when you manually turn on the cruise lights button, of course both the sign and cruise lights come on.

What I am saying is when you flip the slide switch for an emergency call, the liberty sign only illuminated on the older cars. The new cars also include the cruise lights.

Also all the new cars have the Avenger's with the split red/blue modules on both sides in the rear window. The older cars had a single red and a single blue.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Incorrect. Not to get into a pointless internet fight....

When the CSP went to liberties, all the bars (again, true to the 9000's as well) the sign and cruise lights came on when the cruise feature was activated. They are wired into the same circut. This has been the case since we received our first batch years ago. At the time with the standard corner liberties, the cruise option just didn't seem "as bright" as you see with the extended corners and was easily drowned out.

As the fleet was cycled thru, its an easy reprogramming of the Cencom to activate another function based on the slide switch.

You didn't see that with the 9000's as it requires a firmware swap at (at the time) a $50 a PCDS-9 controller and really wasn't worth the effort as a member can just press the button to turn them on.

98% of the bars are set to signal alert, but either by accident (in a few cases) or by deliberate playing, other flash patterns cand be seen (such as flashing takedowns and alleys).

The rear deck lights split is something they went to try out. Its mixed feelings from the field as the perception is that you only get half light output vs full output.

Then again we have guys who have full front and rear inneredges + liberties and everything else they want to buy.

The only restriction we have in the SOP's is that it cannot be connected to fleet installed equipment and must be wired sepereately from the console power etc.

Whelen

Dec 5, 2012
NY
How does CSP still get brand new Liberty's with the 500 Series take downs and alleys without the extended corners? Whelen discontinued them. Do they still make them special order for them?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Whelen said:
How does CSP still get brand new Liberty's with the 500 Series take downs and alleys without the extended corners? Whelen discontinued them. Do they still make them special order for them?

IDK, "Whelen". Do you still make them special order for them? :eyebrowhuh:

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
^

|

Ha.

They still offer the standard corners, but you typically don't see them. CSP recycles all their equipment. Re your PM:

"I am assuming a cruiser is brand new when a particular plate had a 9000 bar and now a particular plate has a Liberty with the dual deck lights?

Are there cars that are getting replaced that already have Liberty's? Because I see alot now coming with a dirty Liberty and the dual deck lights? "

Plates and cars are moved around all the time as needed by fleet, repairs, promotions, retirements, status change, unit assignment etc.

Typically when a car needs to be turned in and a new car is issued, the plate stays with the car and not the trooper. There are some exceptions to this rule (hand me down plate from family member, badge number or other special meaning), but that is generally what happens.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
the old school bars used to have the troopers badge number.

i know the old way they reused the bars was to send them to whelen for a cleanup and inspection and new lenses i am not sure if they are doing this any more

recycling equipment has been dont in ct for years

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Back from the dead :thumbsup:

This is the only marked one I've seen in person..

image.jpg

And that was years ago... :crazy:

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
BIG changes are coming! More details probably sometime in January when a 5 year contract is issued for "turn key" police cars. The RFP decision making process is underway. All proposals were due in on November 30th, and I imagine it will be after the 1st when someone is finally awarded a contract.

roush17

Sep 30, 2012
connecticut
Zack said:
Another reason troopers take the bars off when not on duty is because when those bars are plugged in (and the cruiser's marker lights are on) not only does the center section illuminate as already mentioned, but the corners go into cruise mode.

These cars are not just take home, but the troopers are encouraged to use them as their "daily drivers" when they're not on duty. They can take them to the grocery store, to the park, the only condition is that they are expected to stop and render aid ("never off duty").

So, because many troopers drive them around all the time, it's nice to take those high-profile bars with the cruise lights off for a lower profile.

(there also used to be little "State Police" placards that were affixed to the car when the troopers were actually on patrol... Not sure if they still utilize those or not)

i seen on blue and one grey with the placard on rear usually seen in bpt,ct area by a veteran trooper

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.