CT State Trooper Cars...

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
kitn1mcc said:
i hope MHQ does not f*** them up to bad this time

Since MHQ came to Connecticut, they have had to buy a few department new cars. I think they set one of Enfield's on fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
PJH said:
Since MHQ came to Connecticut, they have had to buy a few department new cars. I think they set one of Enfield's on fire.

hahahah i know enfield is now done at a small bay down near the Ct river

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
The 2013 CSP cars should be arriving at the dealership by mid August. The plan is to have 30 built per month. You should start seeing them late September.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Outsider,

Reading those specs, I noticed the only product using XLP modules is the Inner-Edge. I'd imagine that a large agency such as the CSP would be one of the first agencies to field-test new products; is Whelen not planning to expand the inclusion of XLP technology into other products? I was hoping to see an updated Dominator XLP and XLP perimeter lightheads.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Outsider said:
The 2013 CSP cars should be arriving at the dealership by mid August. They ordered 164 Interceptor Sedans, and 30 Utility's. The Sedans are mostly Trooper cars with some being admin cars. The Utility's are for Emergency Services Units, dive team, K9, etc. Any day now, there should be another 200 or so sedans ordered for road Troopers. The lighting system will be dramatically different. They will be refurbishing the newest of the Liberty lightbars. These will get full LED take downs, LED alleys, WeCan I/O boards and wiring harnesses, new lens kits, new tops (no screw holes) and a newly design quick disconnect strap and cable system. All cars will be getting full front XLP Inner Edges with Take Downs, 4 IONS on rear deck (red red blue blue) Vertical TIR3's in the side windows, and a brand new not yet released Side Kick. Vertexs will be in front corners, brake lights and reverse lights. The operating system will be Cantrol, with a very special CSP ONLY programming configuration. Some of the aspects of the programming will be two special park modes one for day one for night, various response flash modes depending on active siren tone/vehicle speed. There will be a new CRUISE light configuration on these that will make the blue side more visible, and intensity variations based on daytime nighttime operation. Watch for the "State Police" sign to flash slow on/off while responding as well.

For a resident of CT for 33 years, I hope that these descriptions of the new cars are correct. Would be nice to see CT troopers with some updated lighting. They have always remained basic as far as lighting (overhead bar, ELF, and several versions of CHMSL lighting). Plus you would think having home turf advantage that CT would have hooked up with Whelen to prototype designs earlier than this.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
The cars will "look" nice, it can also be a bit overkill. These are not the days of the lower light producing products. However, I suspect with the Cantrol systems being used that it will be controlled and not blind the oncoming drivers and creating more of a hazard. Its bad enough that some cars are already outfitted like this with personal equipmant and you'd think your on final approach to a runway at JFK...

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
That what it appears to be. Remember, once off duty and home, the bars usually come off. I suspect that the addition of the inneredges are to help facilitate a quicker off-duty response when required and visibilty when they conduct and off-duty traffic stop, come across a MVA, DMV, etc.

By contract, they are required to stop for motorists, etc - however at the least they have to let the troop know in the case they have family in the vehicle, or didn't see it in time to stop, etc.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
PJH said:
That what it appears to be. Remember, once off duty and home, the bars usually come off. I suspect that the addition of the inneredges are to help facilitate a quicker off-duty response when required and visibilty when they conduct and off-duty traffic stop, come across a MVA, DMV, etc.

By contract, they are required to stop for motorists, etc - however at the least they have to let the troop know in the case they have family in the vehicle, or didn't see it in time to stop, etc.

I was going to add to that as well. I HOPE that the inner edges are designed to be used only when overhead bars are off of the vehicles. Otherwise it sounds like a decent 360 coverage. And who knows what the "new" only for CT control system will be programmed for. Like it was deceived, sounds like it is a multi tier setup to respond accordingly to the pursuit switch or other inputs. Will be very interesting to see.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
the state is in a budget crunch thanks to daaaaaloy. i seen a few cars with inner edges me thinks the troppers them selfs added them

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
kitn1mcc said:
the state is in a budget crunch thanks to daaaaaloy. i seen a few cars with inner edges me thinks the troppers them selfs added them

Yes... If you see CVPI with inner edges now, than they are privately owned by the respective trooper. And yes, state is on budget crunch, but as "whelen" (the user on here) had posted the new cars have some "only for CT" lighting/patterns/software, maybe Whelen (the company) is providing it to the state at a reduced price to beta test the new equipment/software. (Well, at least half of me thinks that, being a tax payor, but the other half is excited about the upgraded lighting due to me being an enthusiast about flashy lights)

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
The state gets whatever discount it gets, but I know people were not happy years back when the State took the install contract away from them. They built into the contract requirements for basically security fencing and all sorts of weird stuff that I recall. Whelen wasn't about to fence in acres of fields, and had enough installs to keep them busy year round. I do know, especially back in the day... that if you showed up in a crusier and needed a little tweaking that they where more than happy to help and usually didn't charge.

Without first hand knowledge, I am sure that when the contract for new equipment came up a good deal was made, but I don't see anything for beta equipment etc was done. Its just a custom programming or most likely minor modifications to a product. No different than the CHP deal, doing the Michigan retrofits, etc.

You'd hope that the hometown state would help out a home town company, but the current politics in CT screams about stuff like that. Someone a few years back was screaming about how some state people (IIRC) got a free ride on the corporate jet and didn't have to pay for expenses of some sort.

This is also the state that screwed over the unions crying about budgets, but the Gov goes out and orders a couple of new Gov cars, remodels the Gov Mansion and all sorts of questionable expenidtures, yet blames the state workers for costing the state money when they need tape in the tape dispensers.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
the whelen facility is very secure only one way in and out and belive me you will be seen

those cars were some of the best installed cars of the CVPI they also had to install 3 sets of radios at that time and a bunch of other crap that was only there for a short time.

roush17

Sep 30, 2012
connecticut
Outsider said:
The 2013 CSP cars should be arriving at the dealership by mid August. The plan is to have 30 built per month. You should start seeing them late September.

a trooper told me and my friend the same thing around September the whole state switching to Taurus pi

OutofCantrol

Jan 1, 2011
Some where CT
Alright so since we are on the topic of the new cars here they are.

Silver Ford police interceptor sedan:

Sentina push bumper

White vertex in head light

Sidekicks with red Ion V series

Full Inner edge xlp (non wecan)

Blue TIR3 on "b" piller

4 ions on rear deck

Red vertex in tails

White vertex in b/u

Wecan liberty with HID takedowns

Cantrol with a program written for them. (But all cantrol programs are custom just like a cencom)

Tough book

Panasonic arbatrator

SUV is the same with a few changes, V-2s on fender not ion-v, dominator in rear window not ions.

Troopers are no longer aloud to modify their cars.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
firemedic119 said:
Alright so since we are on the topic of the new cars here they are.

Silver Ford police interceptor sedan:

Sentina push bumper

White vertex in head light

Sidekicks with red Ion V series

Full Inner edge xlp (non wecan)

Blue TIR3 on "b" piller

4 ions on rear deck

Red vertex in tails

White vertex in b/u

Wecan liberty with HID takedowns

Cantrol with a program written for them. (But all cantrol programs are custom just like a cencom)

Tough book

Panasonic arbatrator

SUV is the same with a few changes, V-2s on fender not ion-v, dominator in rear window not ions.

Troopers are no longer aloud to modify their cars.

So there's a full Inner Edge AND a full Liberty? Wow...

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
It is (was) sop that you could add in additional electronic equipment as lp g as you didn't use the circuits that the department equipment is installed in. I haven't come across any new general orders but haven't looked either.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Thats nothing new. Thats the states branch of the US GAO, but usually with a spin on it. What that report doesn't say is that NY Troopers can only take vehicles home (if they want) if their next shift is right off their rest. They work 12 hours shift cycle and some of the assigned remote barracks (depending on where they live and assigned) makes it impractical to drive all the way back from home while in their patrol district when they can simply go on duty from their driveway.

CSP doesn't allow use of the vehicles over 50 miles of state lines without authorization. All cars are GPS tracked and has been used to discipline troopers who have gone out of range, if noticed.

NJSP - I've never known a trooper that takes it home unless they are primary patrollers in town they live in.

Either way, it a contract deal and has been past practice for 50 years and has worked out well.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Each troop also has a couple of unmarked chargers now, most are either silver or black. They have them for the highway and for some of the detectives. They have regular hubcaps and the only antenna is the round GPS antenna on the roof. They are very stealthy and the only thing that gives them away is the blacked out windows. I have seen several of them on our calls in the Troop L area. I will try and get a picture one of these days. They are awesome looking cars.

The equipment in the chargers include:

Front (I may have missed some)

Whelen M7 in grill R/B

Whelen Inner edge XLP R/B

Possibly a headlight flasher

Side

Whelen Ions in side windows

Rear

Whelen Inner edge R/B

Whelen Vertex R/B

Taillight flasher

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
The traffic guys have been getting them for awhile now, if they want them (most do). Troopers who are working in the detective capacity (its not a "rank" but an assignment) can keep their vehicles or turn them in for a more "street" looking vehicle, depending on what they are working on or what unit they are assigned to. The commissioner and/or colonal at one point had some plain jane Ford Fusion (or something like that) as their daily driver.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
the DMV has gone unmarked as well. just wish the truck guys would not pull over trucks on 95 during rush hour

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Another reason troopers take the bars off when not on duty is because when those bars are plugged in (and the cruiser's marker lights are on) not only does the center section illuminate as already mentioned, but the corners go into cruise mode.

These cars are not just take home, but the troopers are encouraged to use them as their "daily drivers" when they're not on duty. They can take them to the grocery store, to the park, the only condition is that they are expected to stop and render aid ("never off duty").

So, because many troopers drive them around all the time, it's nice to take those high-profile bars with the cruise lights off for a lower profile.

(there also used to be little "State Police" placards that were affixed to the car when the troopers were actually on patrol... Not sure if they still utilize those or not)
Not quite accurate - the "Cruise lights" are controlled via a button on the Cantrol controller....so they do have the option to leave them off...the STATE POLICE sign too. The controller's have a specific CRUISE button, which is a multi state button that has several different cruise modes (front, rear, front and rear & sides, no amber, just the outter modules lit, entire bars etc lit)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.