Illustrated Guide to Adequate Lighting

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Having viewed a ton of installs on here and reading peoples comments, I realize there are a lot of opinions on what is enough warning-lights and how they should be placed on vehicles. I also realize this is a place for many newcomers looking for advice, but there is no comprehensive guide, just tons of more or less good advice buried in dozens of threads, often focusing on whats wrong, rather than whats right. Hence the:

Illustrated guide to adequate lighting.

Feel free to contribute, but please keep your opinions to your self if you´re not willing to take a minute to back it up with pictures, videos or illustrations:yes: Ohh, and no rants or fights :nono:

So to kick it off with my recommendations:

360-degree coverage

All emergency vehicles should have full 360-degree coverage. This is mandated by law many places.

360 coverage.jpg

The simplest way to achieve this is by using a beacon, like in the old days. However, a minibar or full lightbar will offcourse be better.

If you drive a tall vehicle, remember that the beacon can be hidden to vehicles close to you, and you may need two beacons diagonally mounted. The same problem applies to minibars and lightbars, so you might need to add some additional lighting to the sides, front or rear.

If you replace the roof-mounted light with interior lights, remember that you still need adequate warninglights facing to the sides. Also: consider the "viewing-angle" of the light you install: a vertically mounted Tir-style module will give a very narrow spread of light, some as little as 5o, where as a horisontally mounted Linear-style module wil give a much wider spread of light, some as much as 180o. This greatly effects the effectiveness of your side warning.

vertical tir.jpg

Horisontal linear.jpg

Interior lights that are used as a replacement for a beacon or lightbar, should be mounted as high a possible, preferably towards the top of the window where possible. This will minimize the chance of having the lights being hidden/obstructed by ground-objects and other vehicles.

"Width"

When navigating through dense traffic, remember that only a small part of your vehicle may be visible to oncoming drivers. Since anyone can flash their headlights, it is recommended to also put colored warninglights towards the sides/corners of your vehicle, facing forwards. Same problem applies from the rear when stationary in traffic. This will give you a wider, and more visible install.

wide.jpg

This can be achieved with Haws (hide-aways) in vehicle lights or surfacemounted, lights under or on the sideview mirrors, a wide lightbar or decklights in the corners of your windshield. ...to mention some.

Front intersection warning

One of the more dangerous situations when responding is navigating intersections, especially red lights or intersections where others have the right of way. Your approach to and placement in the intersection is important, but many intersections, especially in dense urban areas, may obstruct your approach and offer little room to navigate within. If your vehicle is partially hidden by other vehicles, your lightbar or sidemounted warninglights may not be visible, and since your siren is pointing forward it may be virtually impossible for some motorists to see/hear that you are responding. Hence, it is recommended to mount some form of outward-facing warninglights towards the front of the vehicle.

front intersection.jpg

front intersection side.jpg

This can be achieved with Haws (hide-aways) in vehicle cornerlights or surfacemounted on the side of the bumper, outward-facing modules in the grille or on the side of a pushbumper. ...to mention some.

Avoid flashing or interfering with your turn signals as you aught to use them in communicating with oncoming traffic when driving, even on response (standard curriculum in emergency driving courses)!

Some lights will cover both width and front intersection warning, such as properly places Haws in vehicle cornerlights or surface-mounted lightheads on the side of bumper.

A very minimal install could look like this:

front.jpg

rear.jpg

EDIT: AMBER is a very effective warningcolor, when it is not necessary to display any color that signals "right-of-way" or "stop", such as red and/or blue (depending on location). Hence many departments are moving towards only flashing amber to the rear when stationary along the roadside, either on arrow or split pattern. The result is often a smoother flow of traffic past the scene. Red and/or blue is still used when responding, conducting traffic-stops or at a scene where vehicles are required to come to a full stop.

Nighttime low-power option

If your vehicle is equipped with a lot of warninglights, it is highly recommended that some or all of these can be turned down during the darker hours, to avoid blinding other drivers.

The idea that blinded drivers will slow down is false! Some simply carry on, either from stupidity or confusion, and will not be able to see officers in the best of reflective gear. Studies have also indicated that drivers tend to veer towards where they are focused.

Think of your car: it has driving lights and parkinglights, and in driver-education you probably learned to turn off your driving-lights when parked, to allow for other drivers to see the contours of your vehicle and any people or other vehicles next to or behind it. The same applies to warning-lights. DO NOT BLIND OTHER DRIVERS!

EDIT: read more here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/too-many-lights-cause-accidents-42203/

Keep it slow and synced

Your car is not a discotech! Keep to slower patterns and sync your lights to give clear and distinct flashes, meaning "on and off" periods.

Using split pattern on LED-lights will also decrease the power of each flash, since your never flashing all of the LEDs at once, only half at a time. This, combined with very fast flashpatterns, is what is often called "split-fail" on here.

This especially applies to vehicles with two colors, such as red and blue. If you mix these colors with fast and/or split patterns, people will only perceive you as a "purple blob" :crazy:   Reds and blues should be well separated, either by time (flashpattern) or by distance (placement on vehicle)!

Avoid flashback

If you are using interior lightsbars or decklights, keep them flush with the window to avoid flashback, meaning light reflected of the glass or via the dashboard. This WILL impair your vision when driving in the dark and is a completely unnecessary risk!

Check with local regulations

And to cover the obvious: If local regulations require your vehicle to meet a certain standard; comply with it!

_____

That should kick it off!

Feel free to contribute, but please keep your opinions to your self if you´re not willing to take a minute to back it up with pictures, videos or illustrations  :yes:   Ohh, and no rants or fights :no:

Edited Sept. 13th 2014: fixed placement of illustrations.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
By you showing this, you are demonstrating very well that one doesn't need a light bar, interior lightbar, dash lights, grill lights, mirror lights, and HAWs to the front.

Reactions: NVFD612

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I don't think hideaways are adequate for stationary rear warning - something like this is better:

ai.imgur.com_npfPj.jpg

Also, would you care to provide a link to the stock image you used for the car without the glow effects?

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
nerdly_dood said:
I don't think hideaways are adequate for stationary rear warning - something like this is better:
ai.imgur.com_npfPj.jpg

Also, would you care to provide a link to the stock image you used for the car without the glow effects?

As long as the rear hatch doesn´t cover all lights when open (differs from car to car), I think it´s a valid suggestion. You achieve the same objective: 360-coverage and width:)

Sorry, no link, just googled "car drawing top" or something, and picked a free stock image.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
runesson said:
Avoid flashing or interfering with your turn signals as you aught to use them in communicating with oncoming traffic when driving, even on response (standard curriculum in emergency driving courses)!

Thank you for saying this. I know a person around me who wants to use his hazards while responding. His setup isn't much, just two dual LED dashlights, one in the deck and one on the dash, as well as a siren, so he wants to use the hazards for as much extra "warning" he can get. I tried educating his hard headed ass about this, reminding him folks who use their hazards are the mail men, broken down vehicles, newspaper delivery men and such. Needless to say, he didn't like my advice. :D

grfd711 said:
Thank you for saying this. I know a person around me who wants to use his hazards while responding. His setup isn't much, just two dual LED dashlights, one in the deck and one on the dash, as well as a siren, so he wants to use the hazards for as much extra "warning" he can get. I tried educating his hard headed ass about this, reminding him folks who use their hazards are the mail men, broken down vehicles, newspaper delivery men and such. Needless to say, he didn't like my advice. :D
Might want to see if he'll bite at the taillight flashers. I totally agree with you hazards are not the way to go while responding.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
360SafetyGear said:
Might want to see if he'll bite at the taillight flashers. I totally agree with you hazards are not the way to go while responding.

I agree about the hazards as well, but I truly dislike taillight flashers. The town PD has them and I think they are more distracting than useful. Plus, they really aren't bright enough to be a true warning signal. There are much better options out there now.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
And here's what I think is the minimum lighting for a slicktop emergency vehicle when responding, in decreasing order of importance:

1. High-intensity forward lighting no more than 1 foot below the highest point on the vehicle. Doesn't necessarily need to be center-mounted.

2. Side lighting no more than 1 foot behind the farthest-forward point on the vehicle.

3. Define the width of the vehicle when seen directly from the front.

4. 360-degree visibility.

5. At least one rear-facing light located above the level of the taillights (within reason - for example, Volvo station wagons and Honda CRV's have unusually tall taillights.)

In this example, points 1 and 5 are accomplished with basic LED dash lights, points 3 and 4 are accomplished with a pair of SoundOff Intersectors, and point 2 is accomplished with a pair of small LED's on a license plate bracket.

ai.imgur.com_P0CW3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
From front to back, I think all police cars need wig-wags, intersection warning (corner strobes or led's on the side of the push bumper all cop cars should have), one to two head dash light, roof mounted light (light bar or slick top), mirror beams or intersectors (for intersections and warning cars while you are stuck behind a large vehicle), side window lights if it's a slick top, lower deck traffic arrow (or at the top if a slick top, but add two head lower deck light), tail light strobes and/or LP led's. I also prefer one to two amber heads to the rear and at least one red head to the front.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I call bullshit on number 1, The KHP run slimlighter in their chargers and CVPI's and they are on the bottom of the dash, in the middle, i also run the same setup in my pov. It works perfectly fine! Plus if you were to mount a slimlighter at the top, you have a tremendous amount of flashback!

nerdly_dood said:
And here's what I think is the minimum lighting for a slicktop emergency vehicle when responding, in decreasing order of importance:

1. High-intensity forward lighting no more than 1 foot below the highest point on the vehicle. Doesn't necessarily need to be center-mounted.

2. Side lighting no more than 1 foot behind the farthest-forward point on the vehicle.

3. Define the width of the vehicle when seen directly from the front.

4. 360-degree visibility.

5. At least one rear-facing light located above the level of the taillights (within reason - for example, Volvo station wagons and Honda CRV's have unusually tall taillights.)

In this example, points 1 and 5 are accomplished with basic LED dash lights, points 3 and 4 are accomplished with a pair of SoundOff Intersectors, and point 2 is accomplished with a pair of small LED's on a license plate bracket.

ai.imgur.com_P0CW3.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Fast LT1 said:
I call bullshit on number 1, The KHP run slimlighter in their chargers and CVPI's and they are on the bottom of the dash, in the middle, i also run the same setup in my pov. It works perfectly fine! Plus if you were to mount a slimlighter at the top, you have a tremendous amount of flashback!

The point of being mounted as high as reasonably possible is to hopefully be visible above any lower vehicles, and to be more easily visible in the rear view mirrors of taller vehicles. Grille lights and dash lights are too easy to be blocked by being close behind another vehicle, and they can't be seen at all when directly behind a tall pickup because they can't be seen above the tailgate. Slimlighters are great for rear warning where flashback isn't an issue, and there are plenty of other lights that come with a flashback shield.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
runesson said:

This is a good thought, but you also need to keep in mind that the whole objective here is to get the emergency vehicle through traffic as quickly as possible, without causing an accident. The image above shows the car beside a van, which happens a small percentage of the time. Most times, it'll be beside another car. Rather than depending on a light on (generally a small corner LED or, at best, a light on the side of the pushbumper) the side of your front corner, you really should have a lightbar on the car that has good intersection warning. This will raise the light source above the cars sitting beside the police car/emergency vehicle, so the emergency vehicle can be seen well before it gets to the intersection. This will give warning to the cross traffic BEFORE you reach the intersection, giving cross traffic a chance to see you and stop. The image above depics a "last chance" intersection warning. A lightbar on the car will give very significant light output (far more than a corner LED can) to the intersection BEFORE the emergency vehicle arrives at the intersection.

Also keep in mind that there are SAE and NFPA standards for this stuff. 1 beacon on the roof, while it may be J845 Class 1 compliant, does not a complete warning system make. You need to design your vehicle so that it meets SAE J2498 Class 1 (or NFPA, if you're a fire vehicle), and a beacon won't cut it unless you have a TON of other lighting on the car.

Reactions: jmamrak

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
nerdly_dood said:
The point of being mounted as high as reasonably possible is to hopefully be visible above any lower vehicles, and to be more easily visible in the rear view mirrors of taller vehicles. Grille lights and dash lights are too easy to be blocked by being close behind another vehicle, and they can't be seen at all when directly behind a tall pickup because they can't be seen above the tailgate. Slimlighters are great for rear warning where flashback isn't an issue, and there are plenty of other lights that come with a flashback shield.

Let's keep in mind that generally speaking, the front-facing light is the LEAST important light on a vehicle, from a protection aspect. Intersection lighting (45 to 90 degrees off axis) is a high priority, and rear warning is also right up there. What's the normal worst-case if you are behind another vehicle and they don't see you because you don't have bright enough grill lights or whatever? They take another 10 seconds to get out of your way. Big deal.

If a car doesn't see you at an intersection, you get your front end punched (hopefully not your door). To the rear? If someone doesn't see you? Rear-end impact at 75mph (if you're stopped on the highway), almost certainly causing serious injury or death to occupants of both cars, and often to bystanders as well.

So, with all the "flash" we put on the front of our vehicles, stop for a minute to consider what's the most important. It'll changed depending on the type of work you do, but I think you'll find that front-facing warning (unless it doubles as intersection warning) is pretty low on the list.

Reactions: AggiePhil

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
leftcoastmark said:
Let's keep in mind that generally speaking, the front-facing light is the LEAST important light on a vehicle, from a protection aspect. Intersection lighting (45 to 90 degrees off axis) is a high priority, and rear warning is also right up there. What's the normal worst-case if you are behind another vehicle and they don't see you because you don't have bright enough grill lights or whatever? They take another 10 seconds to get out of your way. Big deal.

If a car doesn't see you at an intersection, you get your front end punched (hopefully not your door). To the rear? If someone doesn't see you? Rear-end impact at 75mph (if you're stopped on the highway), almost certainly causing serious injury or death to occupants of both cars, and often to bystanders as well.
Rear warning is only important while the vehicle is stopped - my post above was specifically with respect to an emergency vehicle while responding, not while stopped.

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
leftcoastmark said:
The image above shows the car beside a van, which happens a small percentage of the time. Most times, it'll be beside another car. Rather than depending on a light on (generally a small corner LED or, at best, a light on the side of the pushbumper) the side of your front corner, you really should have a lightbar on the car that has good intersection warning. This will raise the light source above the cars sitting beside the police car/emergency vehicle, so the emergency vehicle can be seen well before it gets to the intersection. This will give warning to the cross traffic BEFORE you reach the intersection, giving cross traffic a chance to see you and stop. The image above depics a "last chance" intersection warning. A lightbar on the car will give very significant light output (far more than a corner LED can) to the intersection BEFORE the emergency vehicle arrives at the intersection.

You need to design your vehicle so that it meets SAE J2498 Class 1 (or NFPA, if you're a fire vehicle), and a beacon won't cut it unless you have a TON of other lighting on the car.

I don´t see any disagreement:

My point is not that front intersection should replace other lights, but rather complement it. I mention it because it is important and very often ignored. And there are quite a lot of vans and trucks out there, so this happens rather often. Also; a lot of people operate in urban areas with buildings close to the road that cut visibility significantly. I mention beacons to start from the very basic, but I did also write: "However, a minibar or full lightbar will offcourse be better." And lets remember that there a plenty of POVs and slicktops shown on here that have neither a good roofmounted lightsource (or interior warninglights with same effect), nor front intersection warning....

And naturally: if SAE J2498 Class 1 is mandated for your vehicle, you should comply with that! ...or any other standard/law for that sake. Never said otherwise:)

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
JohnMarcson wrote this in an other thread about syncing:

"The best blanket statement I can make on lighting any vehicle is:

Use larger "colored" light heads flashed at "slow" speeds for the bulk of the setup, with some high flash rate clear or "white" at intersection angles while moving. Follow NFPA, I actually like their recommendations/standards. When parked kill the white and up/keep the amber. Do not use amber to the front when moving, or clear to the rear ever. My personal recommendation is not to split lights by color or pattern within a single head. I think synching lights matters less in effectiveness than people think, but can't back that up with science or a study. I prefer synching them, but I have a gnawing feeling it's just the OCD in me."

I thought it was good advice that could apply to this thread as well:)

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I think Nerdly has it right when it comes to the intersection warning. It is about getting warning out to the sides of the very front of the vehicle, not the front of the sides (confusing, I know). I feel that this is a major short coming of the SOS Interectors, they don't really put light into the intersection until the vehicle is actually in the intersection (if the vehicle is obstructed on the side by another vehicle or a fence or building). Really the 10-something (sorry, I'm NIMS compliant) license plate bracket is a much better option, but could probably use some tweaking to angle the lights out slightly.

-Jared
Speaking of the SOS Intersectors, I think they would work well as a dual purpose grille light. Due to their spread of light they could provide coverage to the front and side including the sometimes overlooked 45* corners. Sync the flash patterns right and you would have coverage on both sides, if using Red/Blue combination.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Very educating thread, thanks.

I would just add one comment: the guy behind the wheel always makes the difference.

Reactions: NVFD612

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ok.. so I kind of understand split fail, but I do have some questions. We run red and blue at my agency. I try to keep it an even balance of both. Some of our lightbars are all red on one side and all blue on one side. If we are trying to not have the purple, how do you not run a split pattern? What is the optimum set up for something like this?

I realize in order to get the best warning, you need some off time for the lights, but if you are simply going from color to color it you never truly have this. I've learned a lot here, but obviously I need to learn a lot more. This site has been tremendous.

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
ar6423 said:
Ok.. so I kind of understand split fail, but I do have some questions. We run red and blue at my agency. I try to keep it an even balance of both. Some of our lightbars are all red on one side and all blue on one side. If we are trying to not have the purple, how do you not run a split pattern? What is the optimum set up for something like this?

I realize in order to get the best warning, you need some off time for the lights, but if you are simply going from color to color it you never truly have this. I've learned a lot here, but obviously I need to learn a lot more. This site has been tremendous.

Hmmm, I don´t know what exactly to recommend, since I don´t know what setup you have, but it seems that you´ve understood the basic principle:) ...so just try with slower and synced patterns that flash either all blue or all red within the same area on your car. The quicker the flashpattern, the less time the eye will have to recognize the separate colors.

If you do it right, I don´t see a big problem with mixing colours left and right. In fact, having all red to one side, means some may only see red and fail to understand what kind of emergency-vehicle it is, so mixing reds and blues may have its advantages too.

Split paterns in one single lighthead can be more tricky, since the colour is emitted from the same exact source, so be extra careful to keep to simple and slow patterns!

...and remember; what looks OK during the day, can still look like a purple blur during night, if you do not have a low-power-setting.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
yeah... here's the thing. My car is already kind of overboard and rediculous due to it being the "parade" car also. But, I'm trying to clean it up a little bit. I have rearranged some of the colors in an "x" pattern so that if I have red on the passenger side light bar, I have blue on the dash lights below it. I don't have any small lights that are split pattern, just the overhead bar, supervisor bar (yes I know).

I've bought some lights here to replace some stuff that was just rediculous but my fleet guys won't care because there is a lighthead in the same spot. I think the only thing I don't mind being overboard on is scene lighting(takedown/alley) but those are not on while in emergency mode anyways.

I appreciate the input.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
If it's a parade car, there's nothing wrong with having a reasonable number of lights set aside with reasonable flash patterns for use when responding to emergencies, with the rest of the car thoroughly Crimmustree'd for parades.

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Member LLS posted this in an other thread, regarding amount of lighting. I think there are some interesting ponits worth reading in the context of this thread as well.

POLICE VEHICLES AND LIGHTS

EMERGENCY WARNING LIGHTS: Are they really protecting YOU and making the emergency scene safer or making YOUR vehicle a target?

An article by Retired NYSP EVOC Instructor Robert J. Faugh - (Present NYS BMP & US DOT EVOC Instructor ) This article updated 1-20-06

Since the early 1950s, when the Beacon Ray replaced the single flashing light, we have seen more and more lights added to our emergency vehicles. It was believed that if 35 watt bulbs were good then 100 watt must be better. If two lights made it safer then six must make it really safe. How about a million candlepower strobe system? We have reached the point where the warning lights are becoming the problem at emergency scenes and traffic stops, making the area less safe and actually causing accidents! More bright warning lights DO NOT make ANY scene safer!

Studies of warning lights by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), Illinois State Police (ISP), University of Minnesota, NY State Police, NYS DOT and the US DOT, within the last few years have addressed the following factors: light output, flash rate, color and reaction to light emitted. In 1999 a five-state federally funded study also addressed the problem of warning lights when parked next to the roadway. (Fire/police/EMS/DOT/Tow Trucks) They identified two major problems. First, No emergency responder sets traffic control or warnings the same at a scene. Secondly, the public has no idea what to do when confronted with numerous colors of lights on vehicles parked every which way in the highway!

Most state Vehicle and Traffic Law requires if the emergency vehicle is parked in violation of the normal parking laws some type of warning must be displayed from that vehicle. Minimal lighting would be legal.

Every emergency vehicle has more than enough warning lights and is equipped so that if it is the only vehicle parked at a scene, the warning light law is complied with. The problem is that when there are six or seven emergency vehicles at a scene. When all the warning lights are left on, the area actually becomes unsafe due to all of the blinding and distracting lights. When you set up a "carnival" too much attention will be drawn to it. Officer safety is also an issue. All the flashing lights can distract the officer and also blind the officer while attempting to observe what is going in a vehicle or on the scene. The flashing lights also blind other motorist who then cannot see the officer. More lights DO NOT make the scene safer!

What effect do the flashing lights have on a motorist who is stopped in front of the police vehicle with all the lights glaring into their vehicle as they sit there waiting for their ticket? The police vehicle sits there with the flashing headlights blinding on-coming traffic. Put yourself in that position for a second, don't you think the situation would be less tense and less stressful without the warning lights flashing into the violators car? These same cops sit behind a disabled vehicle with minimal rear lights on, forwards lights off, what is the difference?

The ISP & CHP Studies questioned the use of light bars on their police cars and the safety of the officers while engaged in their duties next to the roadway. The collision rate for emergency vehicles displaying lights while parked next to the highway were two and one-half times higher for the same 100,000 miles driven than for non-emergency vehicles. Illinois removed the light bars from 50% of their cars and their study showed the cars without the roof-mounted bars were involved in 65% fewer accidents both parked and moving.

Many highway patrols have numerous "slick top" vehicles with a flashing lights in the rear window and no roof mounted lights. Many departments are going to the "slick top" cars for added safety, better gas mileage and increased productivity (more tickets).

More and more "slick top" cars are being used in New York state by local police, (Greece & Webster PD) sheriffs (Monroe & Onondagua) and NYSP. Roof-mounted light bars have their place but in many cases are over used and do not obtain the required protection. They also give the officer operating the vehicle a false sense of security that the lights will somehow protect them both moving and parked, which is not true.

What about color? Red lights send a message, emergency, stop and also tend to draw persons to the area of the emergency. The psychological reaction to red is rage, anger and hostility. Red lights invoke erratic behavior from other motorists. You are being subjected to the red warning light effects also.

The knowledge of human perception calls into question the use of red warning lights when the vehicle is parked in or next to the highway. Instead of warning people away, the red emergency lights actually draw drivers towards the lights. This so-called moth effect refers to "a state of narrowed attention associated with excessive concentration on some object or task with the resulting in a loss of voluntary control over response." People drive where they look! Drugged, drunk, elderly and fatigued drivers will drive right into the rear of the vehicle in the road and drive off the road to hit the vehicle parked on the shoulder that is displaying the red warning lights. This happens more than we like to admit. How many close calls have you had?

Amber lights are legal on emergency vehicles. The amber light also sends a very specific message to those who view it: danger, caution & stay away. A driver who is drugged, drunk, elderly, tired, fatigued or confused will avoid the vehicle displaying the amber light. Amber also travels through fog, rain or snow much farther than red, blue or clear. In California ALL emergency vehicles must display at least one amber light to the rear. Federal ambulance specs required one amber light on the rear of all new ambulance. NFPA fire apparatus "blocking mode" status recommend AMBER lights. (Phoenix Az allows ONLY amber when parked) Why are fog lights amber? Why does the FAA require amber on airport vehicles? Why does DOT use amber?

The NY State Police conducted tests on the vehicles equipped with the "Street Hawk" light bar back in 1991. They now have an amber lens on the driver's side rear flashing light position in the bar. 15 to 20 Cars were struck while parked on the side of the road with only red lights on.

Other New York State agencies reported between 75 and 90 vehicle struck while parked NEXT TO the highway annually. After amber was installed, and the rotating red lights were shut off, Not one NYSP car was struck in three years while displaying the amber light with the rotating reds shut off! As time has moved along the troopers are again leaving the rotating reds on along with the amber and more cars are being struck! NYSP have equipped most of their cars that work the interstates with "arrow sticks" in the back window. The 2002 NYS State bid "Federal Vista" light bar has a built in arrow stick. It works more effectively when the red rotators are shut off by sending one message - caution, danger and stay away! Inside the trunk one light is now amber.

What is the answer? For parking situations we should limit the use of the warning lights. Amber is the color to use to warn traffic. Shut off the red, blue and clear lights. Use the "arrow stick" as it was designed to be used.

Warn only from the direction that the traffic is coming towards the scene. Another reason to limit the amount of warning lights at a scene is the effect is has on the crowd. It's a known fact that the red, blue & clear lights at a scene will draw and effect a crowd. Shut them off and many will walk away.

Park your vehicles in a safest position possible, which should be at a slight angle 50 to 100 feet back from the next vehicle. (V& T Stops, stop at least 30' back - you are a smaller target the further away you get from the violator). The parking of vehicles is a whole other article. Just turning the wheels will not do it. Equip the rear of your vehicles with at least one amber light to send that message caution, danger & stay away. Equip you vehicle with an "arrow stick". The arrow stick light is more effective when used without the rotating flashing red, blue or clear lights. The more your vehicle looks like a DOT, tow truck or utility truck the less chance you vehicle will be struck. Be careful how you use your headlights, spot lights and other flood lamps, shut off the flashing headlights. You may blind on-coming drivers and also people working on the scene including yourself. Make your emergency scene look like a "work zone" and you will have a lot less problems, "close calls" and accidents.

Officer Safety: The officer should have the option to approach the violator or suspects vehicle from the passengers side of the car. Many states promote this, Texas and Virginia are two that do. The officer has a better view of everything in the front seat, is a smaller target. The violator doesn't expect the officer to show up there and the officer is in a safer position if one of the drugged, drunk, tired, elderly or confused drivers runs into the officers car or the violators car.

Many Monroe Co. NY agencies use this limited light policy at scenes and especially on the Interstate highways. The Rush Fire Dept & Ambulance Service has been using this procedure for 15 years.

The vehicle closest to on-coming traffic stops several hundred feet prior to the scene, parks at an angle and displays only rear-facing lights, amber on the left and red on the right ("arrow stick" is used if equipped). Other responding emergency vehicles (fire/EMS/police) shut down their lights and park in a safe position. All vehicles are then protected by the larger 20 ton fire apparatus. They don't need ANY warning lights!

The results have been much more control over the traffic that is moving past the accident or situation and less confusion - they don't have the flashing lights to look at. The other lane keeps moving without the gapers block or "rubbernecking". The traffic slow to 40 MPH or so and keep on going. When distracting warning lights are shut down, it is much easier to see. They use this at EVERY call not just highway incidents. Everyone calms down when the majority of the warning lights are shut off! Anyone working near traffic should wear a bright (lime-yellow) with reflective white stripped vest.

NEVER TRUST THE PEOPLE APPROACHING A SCENE. OPERATE AS IF THEY ARE TRYING TO HIT YOUR VEHICLE AND RUN YOU OVER!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We’ve heard from Robert before and this article mirrors his previous writing. Couple of things to point out: The IACP has done studies showing that the police car parked on a traffic stop should be positioned differently than what Robert advocates here. We need to be careful about sending a consistent message that is as accurate as possible.

Also, since I’m working with the VA State Police right now I know for a fact that they DO NOT teach or require right hand traffic stops here in VA. The troopers can do it that way, but it is at their discretion. There is no VSP policy for right hand stops so maybe Robert’s comments were referring to a specific county PD somewhere in the state. I have also heard conversation about amber lighting in the LED technology is not as effective as amber strobes or halogen rotators. I for one will be glad to see some facts come out of the lighting study that is under way so we can offer some accurate advice on this subject.

Jack Sullivan, CSP, CFPS

Loss Control Innovations

316 West Broad Street

Richmond, VA 23220

Phone: 804-344-0009 ext. 308

E-Mail: JSullivan@LCInnovations.como

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
That post is almost perfect at summarizing the issues involved with too many lights. The only problem I see is that it says that California requires rear-facing amber lights on emergency vehicles - they don't, but it's traditional there and almost universal regardless of the fact that it's permitted but not required... plus it's just a good idea.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
nerdly_dood said:
That post is almost perfect at summarizing the issues involved with too many lights. The only problem I see is that it says that California requires rear-facing amber lights on emergency vehicles - they don't, but it's traditional there and almost universal regardless of the fact that it's permitted but not required... plus it's just a good idea.

I thought that California title 13 required at least one amber light to the rear?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
runesson said:
Front intersection warning

One of the more dangerous situations when responding is navigating intersections, especially red lights or intersections where others have the right of way. If your vehicle is partially hidden by other vehicles, your lightbar or sidemounted warninglights may not be visible, and your siren is pointing forward. Hence, it is recommended to mount some form of outward-facing warninglights towards the front of the vehicle.
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_CD267E5F_B85E_44BB983a64c29a43d397d446a4a49c764175.jpg

This actually better demonstrates why you should always pass on the left. If you do that, the van isn't obscuring anyone's view.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
FEVER said:

Imagine this bar in red/blue, with all of the red lightheads on one side and the blues on the other. You want a flash pattern like this (ActionFlash) or CometFlash. Or even a slow single or double flash. Something that flashes all the lightheads on one side, while the other side isn't flashing. If you go with a rapid single/double flash, or if you have different flash patterns on different lightheads, the red and blue start flashing at the same time---making purple. The above lightbar in R/B would cascade from side to side, alternating red and blue. Very effective.

If the above bar had the lightheads alternating in color (red-blue-red-blue, as opposed to red on one side, blue on the other) with the above pattern, you would get a horrific purple blob.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
WS224 said:
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_CD267E5F_B85E_44BB983a64c29a43d397d446a4a49c764175.jpg

This actually better demonstrates why you should always pass on the left. If you do that, the van isn't obscuring anyone's view.

I think it was drawn that way to keep it simple, if you reverse the view it would be the same as entering the intersection (passing on the left) and the view from the right.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Hollywood said:
I think it was drawn that way to keep it simple, if you reverse the view it would be the same as entering the intersection (passing on the left) and the view from the right.

No it wouldn't. The only time Intersection lighting is important is at intersection where you have the red and are trying to proceed. The first lanes you have to clear have comes coming from the left. Hence the reason to pass on the left. Cars coming from the right will see you as you ease into the intersection and pass all the cars on your right - again, no cars their to block their view of you.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
WS224 said:
No it wouldn't. The only time Intersection lighting is important is at intersection where you have the red and are trying to proceed. The first lanes you have to clear have comes coming from the left. Hence the reason to pass on the left. Cars coming from the right will see you as you ease into the intersection and pass all the cars on your right - again, no cars their to block their view of you.

While I agree with what you're saying, at the same time intersection warning is still necessary at the nose of the vehicle.

Picture this.

Controlled intersection, no Opticom on the lights...

I'm responding straight ahead, vehicle in the left turn lane, clear straight ahead.

Endanger my crew, my apparatus, and myself further by taking oncoming traffic, or ease out slowly until I have a full view of the intersection and that people have yielded ROW to me....

easy choice.

As to the alternating colors per side and adequate flash patterns.... I wish I had a video camera with the other day. 2 Nevada Highway Patrol troopers on a traffic stop. CVPI and a pickup.

CVPI had full "Seizure mode" purple light blur going on between the top bar and rear facing deck lighting, and was only discernable as a light source facing towards me that was "wobbling" until within about 300 yards when it was identifiable as red/blue lighting.

Pickup had its light bar in a full left/right pattern. 1/2 second per side. VERY BLATANT red and blue alternation of color as soon as I saw it about a mile away. The truck's lighting is the reason I shifted lanes early, not the CVPI's lighting.

"Off time" is important, but at distance color alternation is just as, if not more important, than off time. Warning lighting in general does just that, warn... but the colors and being able to DISCERN the colors, is what allows determination between something you should be yielding to like a police vehicle or fire/ems apparatus, or if it's a tow truck/oversize load/civilian plow truck/construction vehicle you just need to watch out for.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
AKRLTW said:
"Off time" is important, but at distance color alternation is just as, if not more important, than off time. Warning lighting in general does just that, warn... but the colors and being able to DISCERN the colors, is what allows determination between something you should be yielding to like a police vehicle or fire/ems apparatus, or if it's a tow truck/oversize load/civilian plow truck/construction vehicle you just need to watch out for.

I agree, off time is quite important (I'd argue it's just as important as the on time). That's one issue I have with the multi-colored LED heads - there doesn't seem to be any off time; it's all alternating between the colors.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
AKRLTW said:
While I agree with what you're saying, at the same time intersection warning is still necessary at the nose of the vehicle.

Picture this.

Controlled intersection, no Opticom on the lights...

I'm responding straight ahead, vehicle in the left turn lane, clear straight ahead.

Endanger my crew, my apparatus, and myself further by taking oncoming traffic, or ease out slowly until I have a full view of the intersection and that people have yielded ROW to me....

easy choice.

As to the alternating colors per side and adequate flash patterns.... I wish I had a video camera with the other day. 2 Nevada Highway Patrol troopers on a traffic stop. CVPI and a pickup.

CVPI had full "Seizure mode" purple light blur going on between the top bar and rear facing deck lighting, and was only discernable as a light source facing towards me that was "wobbling" until within about 300 yards when it was identifiable as red/blue lighting.

Pickup had its light bar in a full left/right pattern. 1/2 second per side. VERY BLATANT red and blue alternation of color as soon as I saw it about a mile away. The truck's lighting is the reason I shifted lanes early, not the CVPI's lighting.

I don't disagree with your assertion and do not mean to diminish the importance of intersection lighting. I just think at the same time, the photo depicts an important reason to not try busting intersections while passing stopped vehicles on the right.

Pass on the left and people see the intersection lighting, the lightbar, graphics, and whatever lose you got.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
WS224 said:

THere, flipped, he's passing on the left. Just shows you you'd need the light for drivers from this angle at the intersection.

ai235.photobucket.com_albums_ee266_zgxtreme_photos_9e5fc9d382b5f3ed1c9d48175fef6b0f.jpg

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Happy to see a discussion on the subject.

Just remember that many of us live in urban environents, where the large open intersections (like the ones I think some of you are refering to) are faaar apart. Where I live, there are a myriad of different types and sizes of intersections, roundabouts and junctions to pass (at an appropriate speed), where you may have to pass on the left, on the right, in the middle or even in the opposite lanes. Safe to say; you want to get your warning lights in to the intersection/junction/roundabout as early as possible.

Lets also remeber that while a lightbar is mounted very visible over the head of the driver (more or less), more and more cars rely on interior lightbars alone and often only have a small light mounted in the rear side-windows, if any side-warning at all!

Just food for thoughts:)

..carry on...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Hollywood said:
THere, flipped, he's passing on the left. Just shows you you'd need the light for drivers from this angle at the intersection.

ai235.photobucket.com_albums_ee266_zgxtreme_photos_9e5fc9d382b5f3ed1c9d48175fef6b0f.jpg

You still don't get it.

In that situation, the rear of he van you see would not be there. That would be the lane for traffic coming the other direction.

Even on 2 lane roads, if you pass on the left, you give the first lanes of cross traffic the best opportunity to see you. Once they do, you ease out and pass the cars stopped to the right of you at the intersection. Now you give the cross traffic coming from the right the greatest opportunity to see you.

This isn't rocket science boys. If you don't get it, you shoudn'tbe driving an emergency vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.