MS Gulf Coast dispatched as a serious MVA with injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
Probably 10 miles away in heavy traffic. Love my Fed Sig Delta. hope I uploaded the file correctly.Me responding to a MVA with injuries; vehicle stopped at red light; other vehicle does not stop and strikes and drives P2 60 feet. Took 20 minutes to get Paramedics there. BLS patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Please use plain language, not code so everyone on the forums can understand what happened.

Example: and drives P2 60 feet What does P2 mean? Also suggestion of saying Patient did not require advanced life support VS BLS Patient.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
unlisted said:
Please use plain language, not code so everyone on the forums can understand what happened.

Example: and drives P2 60 feet What does P2 mean? Also suggestion of saying Patient did not require advanced life support VS BLS Patient.

So, we had a 10-26 with multiple 10-42s. Units responded 10-98 until 2105 called 10-6 and told units to 10-14 their response.... Oh right sorry, forgot about NIMS and plain language. :rolleyes:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
as long as we dont have any 10-80, (altered mental status) 10 - 60s (indicent exposure) go 10-94(suicide atempt) itll be a good day tater.

Ron-White.jpg

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
So with all the bantering you could not understand P2 and BLS? You all can wire LED's to a buffalo's ass but you feel the need to say WTF to two simple acronyms?

P2: usually the second vehicle in a motor vehicle accident (or MVA) who did not cause the accident.

BLS: Basic, Life, Support: something a first responder or ......wait for it.......EMT (holly crap, another acronym) Emergency Medical Technician. whew; that was close) could handle.

hate the player, not the game. :hopeless:

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I could not get the video to upload. Said it was toooooooooo big (something most of you have never heard)

had to say that.

oh and potato camera

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
jswwjw said:
So with all the bantering you could not understand P2 and BLS? You all can wire LED's to a buffalo's ass but you feel the need to say WTF to two simple acronyms?

P2: usually the second vehicle in a motor vehicle accident (or MVA) who did not cause the accident.

BLS: Basic, Life, Support: something a first responder or ......wait for it.......EMT (holly crap, another acronym) Emergency Medical Technician. whew; that was close) could handle.

I will admit I did not understand P2 right away, we don't use that terminology in fire or EMS at least where I am, but its fairly easy to make out what you mean. I don't see a problem with putting patient went BLS; as said most of us are in some emergency services field and should know what that means. Only thing I will say, and just from your video..I don't know what speed limits there are or how fast you were actually going; seemed to me like you were hauling ass through some fairly busy areas to get to what did not appear to be a serious accident with other units already on scene.

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
jswwjw said:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :yes: :thumbsup: :hail: :hail:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
jswwjw said:

Clearly someone has not taken a radio class ever or lately. It's called using plain language. I'm all for acronyms but trying remember the ones for military, fire, ems and police can be a bit daunting. And that's just for my jobs.

Plus there are other members on this forum who have no public service knowledge.

So please, for the sake of other members, use plain language when posting. Actually I think there's a rule regarding clear concise posting.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Also you need an EVOC class asap before you kill someone. Are you trying to cause an accident taking intersections on the right???

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I like how almost nobody stopped or pulled over for you.

Edit: that was sarcasm, in case there was any question.

charliefox

May 28, 2010
Burlington WA
In my agency, passing on the right without VERY good reason will get you a day or two on Suspension Beach. We preach and preach to our populace "Move Right for Sirens and Lights" and set ourselves up for a huge problem if we disregard this. Our state law says we can disregard any traffic laws while running "Priority", however if we are involved in a collision the responsibility lands square in our lap.

Also, in my state, when approached by an emergency vehicle with lights and siren activated, drivers are required to move as far right as possible and stop if safe to do so. It doesn't seem to be the same where you are; you were passing a LOT of moving vehicles.

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
jswwjw said:

I appreciate the fact that you are a humorous smart@$$ like I am however I would never ride a shift with you if you were driving. For your sake and everyone else's please slow down, follow your training, or attend training, and enjoy a long and safe career. I wish you the best sir.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Hopefully the Plantiff doesn't find out you have a video of your typical response when you get nailed one day passing on the right.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Just curious? What did you do after you got there? Direct traffic or just do paperwork?

pdcarmech

Nov 6, 2011
royersford,pa
Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP

some more code for ya .. lol

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
"If you see an emergency light, pull to the right"

That saying was meant for the civilian drivers, not you. :yes:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Many MANY things wrong with that. Don't EVER pass on the right, as most people are told to pull right for lights/sirens, and for the very very rare occasions when you are driving on the shoulder turn your siren off. There is no need for excessive acceleration, man your car must be in the shop every week. Last but not least, SLOW THE F DOWN!!! I don't care if it's a cardiac arrest or babies flying everywhere, you don't need to be driving that fast...

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
I was screaming for you to pull the car over posthaste and let me out.

Then I see my children staring at me wide eyed from the couch.

Thank God it is only on the computer. I hear your not supposed to pull the plug on a computer but sometimes you just have to.

:no:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Your response scared the crap outta' me... I've refused to work with driver/operators who insist that passing on the right, especially at high speed, is acceptable. The siren makes you able to be heard (ideally), not invincible. The lights don't protect you either.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Police, fire or EMS, doesnt matter. Driving in that manner is totally uncalled for. That whole response was a disaster waiting to happen. One sudden move by any vehicle and it would have all been over but picking up the body parts--human body and car body. Sometimes common sense needs to take priority. As these pictures show.

img_5011.jpg

img_5026.jpg

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I really never thought he was driving too fast. Just not good tactical driving by passing on the right and getting right up behind people.

That's the benefit to passing on the left. You straddle the center line or stay far left in the lane and the people that your trying to get to yield to you can see you in 2 mirrors instead of 1, are more compelled to pull to the right bc you are off center to their left side, and the people driving towards you can see you coming.

Keep passing on the right, and it's just a matter of time until you are heard but not seen, and someone moves over right in front of or on top of you and CRASH. Death and mass destruction, probably not but way more paperwork than I wanna do.

bshockme

May 26, 2010
Missouri
I didn't think the speed was excessive. The passing on the right scared the tar outta me. Use that center turn lane and if the left lane of the intersection isn't open use the opposing lane. They can't say they didn't see you coming. If you stay back a bit on the ones that don't yield immediately, they will see you sooner, and you have more time to react when they do something stupid. Stay safe.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
That clip reminds me of the video game Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder what kind of siren that is? It sounds like it might me a Unitrol, but the wail tone sounds a bit different than a typical 80K or Touchmaster wail.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
Wailer said:
That clip reminds me of the video game Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder what kind of siren that is? It sounds like it might me a Unitrol, but the wail tone sounds a bit different than a typical 80K or Touchmaster wail.

He said somewhere on here it's a UTMD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That video verbs the noun outta me..... (scares the crap... annoys the piss.... drains the life.... ) whatever.... but the response it got was appropriately shocked but professional. So at least I'm not the only person noun verbing.... (party pooping, parade pissing, buzz killing....)

I really can't add to what people have said. The driver in the video needs some retraining. I'm sure the video will be down soon much to the disservice of EVOC power point Donnie Don't segments everywhere.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
While most of the offenses in this video are not justified, to say you should never pass on the right is ignorant. What happens when you physically can't pass on the left? Last shift we ran an accident on the interstate that backed traffic up a good mile before we got there. Due to the inside emergency lane barely being wide enough for a normal vehicle, much less a fire engine, we had to take the right side emergency lane the whole way. We slowed way down, utilized the sirens and air horns as needed, and prepared ourselves for vehicles to pull to the right and into our lane of travel (which did happen).

There is a world out there outside of the little bubble you live in. Your way is not always the only way.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
GTRider245 said:
While most of the offenses in this video are not justified, to say you should never pass on the right is ignorant. What happens when you physically can't pass on the left? Last shift we ran an accident on the interstate that backed traffic up a good mile before we got there. Due to the inside emergency lane barely being wide enough for a normal vehicle, much less a fire engine, we had to take the right side emergency lane the whole way. We slowed way down, utilized the sirens and air horns as needed, and prepared ourselves for vehicles to pull to the right and into our lane of travel (which did happen).

There is a world out there outside of the little bubble you live in. Your way is not always the only way.

Wrong. You can always pass on the left - unless your in an alley. If you want to pass on the right and feel it is the best option at the time and can justify it, go ahead, but don't say it wasn't possible.

Furthermore, people were commenting as to what they actually saw in the video, not an imaginary situation that you encountered.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Hey, I know that area, on my many visits to the Beau Rivage. This is why I don't post response videos, even though I've been running code 3 for 22 years (accident free), there will always be critics waiting to point out why they could of done it mo' better. Not sure about the tones though, I kept wishing someone would answer that damn phone. On a positive note, if someone posts a few more scary crash photos, it's possible that I'll put my coffee in the cup holder next time I'm flying low, so that I might 10 & 2 it properly.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
GTRider245 said:

It's not just the passing on the right... it's the rate of travel while passing on the right. You said you slowed way down, this individual didn't appear to always do that. I say appear because there is no indication of actual vehicle speed except in relation to other vehicles and stationary objects which is very hard to judge in a video.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
WS224 said:
Wrong. You can always pass on the left - unless your in an alley. If you want to pass on the right and feel it is the best option at the time and can justify it, go ahead, but don't say it wasn't possible.

Furthermore, people were commenting as to what they actually saw in the video, not an imaginary situation that you encountered.

Just another situation that is imaginary. Say you roll up to an intersection 3 lanes wide. 2 lanes are for through traffic and one lane is for left turns. Each lane has multiple cars in it. No shoulder on the right because it is a side walk. No sholder on the left because it is a concrete barrier wall. What do you do? wait in line for the light to change to let the cars pass safely? Force the cars to drive on the sidewalk, you drive over the barrier wall? Do you sit and blast the siren forcing the cars to move forward into the line of cross traffic?

I have seen ambulance, police, and fire pass in any lane that they can in order to get around traffic. I even have seen police cut through a corner parking lot to avoid the traffic. But not every intersection has an open space for traffic to move out of the way. I am not a first responder so I am not educated in the proper emergency driving procedure. :undecided:

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
ejwa said:
Just another situation that is imaginary. Say you roll up to an intersection 3 lanes wide. 2 lanes are for through traffic and one lane is for left turns. Each lane has multiple cars in it. No shoulder on the right because it is a side walk. No sholder on the left because it is a concrete barrier wall. What do you do? wait in line for the light to change to let the cars pass safely? Force the cars to drive on the sidewalk, you drive over the barrier wall? Do you sit and blast the siren forcing the cars to move forward into the line of cross traffic?

We deal with this exact situation daily at work at an intersection near the station. In the event that our Opticom doesn't capture the light, our policy is to stop at least 100 feet behind the last car in line, turn the siren off, leave the lights on, and wait until its safe. We'll also occasionally turn the lights off as well if it looks like someone is going to run the light.

We have this same policy at the VFD as well.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
If you ever pass on the right, turn off your siren. Pulling right for emergency vehicles is drilled in everyone heads, for a lot of people I see it's almost muscle memory for people to pull right when they hear sirens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.