MS Gulf Coast dispatched as a serious MVA with injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
WS224 said:
Wrong. You can always pass on the left - unless your in an alley. If you want to pass on the right and feel it is the best option at the time and can justify it, go ahead, but don't say it wasn't possible.

Furthermore, people were commenting as to what they actually saw in the video, not an imaginary situation that you encountered.

Have you actually spent any time in the field, or are you just quoting what you learned in EVOC? How is what I said imaginary? I didn't make it up; it happened. As I said, we did what we had to do, took the proper precautions and everyone went home safe. I guess it would have made more sense to take the engine down the left hand lane, which would put it roughly halfway into the median (which was cutoff by a gaurd rail about half way to the scene) according to you? People were saying (in response to the video) you NEVER pass on the right. That is wrong. Are you saying you would be all for "parting the seas" through three lanes of gridlocked traffic rather than just slowing down, taking the right side lane and expecting what people will more than likely do?

Sorry. There I go making up things again. Feel free to not reply.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
ejwa said:
Just another situation that is imaginary. Say you roll up to an intersection 3 lanes wide. 2 lanes are for through traffic and one lane is for left turns. Each lane has multiple cars in it. No shoulder on the right because it is a side walk. No sholder on the left because it is a concrete barrier wall. What do you do? wait in line for the light to change to let the cars pass safely? Force the cars to drive on the sidewalk, you drive over the barrier wall? Do you sit and blast the siren forcing the cars to move forward into the line of cross traffic?

I have seen ambulance, police, and fire pass in any lane that they can in order to get around traffic. I even have seen police cut through a corner parking lot to avoid the traffic. But not every intersection has an open space for traffic to move out of the way. I am not a first responder so I am not educated in the proper emergency driving procedure. :undecided:

Pretty sad that you aren't even an emergency responder and you understand this concept better than some who claim to be experts.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
GTRider245 said:
Have you actually spent any time in the field, or are you just quoting what you learned in EVOC? How is what I said imaginary? I didn't make it up; it happened. As I said, we did what we had to do, took the proper precautions and everyone went home safe. I guess it would have made more sense to take the engine down the left hand lane, which would put it roughly halfway into the median (which was cutoff by a gaurd rail about half way to the scene) according to you? People were saying (in response to the video) you NEVER pass on the right. That is wrong. Are you saying you would be all for "parting the seas" through three lanes of gridlocked traffic rather than just slowing down, taking the right side lane and expecting what people will more than likely do?

Sorry. There I go making up things again. Feel free to not reply.
Imaginary as in it is not in the video being discussed in this thread.

People were commenting as to what they were watching on the video, not to what happened this one time at band camp. I will not say never. As I stated in response to you, you took a situation, made a decision and did what you felt you needed to do. Was it a good call? I don't know as I wasn't there, but I do know that you chose an option - passing on th right was not your only singular option.

As far as the video that is posted and the topic of this thread and discussion, every time this guy passed on the right, not only was it not the only option, it was the worst option of all that we're available.

Simply stated, on regular streets when passing on the left is available as an option, it is almost always the best one - especially when approaching or going through intersections. Divided, limited access highway systems are a different animal and occasionall require you to do what you have to do o get the scene. Having said that, if the option is there to pass on the left side median, that would be the best option.

And yes, I have driven on one or two responses, not counting the first conservative estimate of 15,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
FireMedic027 said:
Getting there fast to direct traffic and write reports. :hopeless:

Please regale us with your years of emergency vehicle operation experience, and I'm not talking about slapping a WOLO light on your POV. Responding to a reported traffic crash with lights and siren is well within standard operating procedure for law enforcement.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
patrol530 said:
Please regale us with your years of emergency vehicle operation experience, and I'm not talking about slapping a WOLO light on your POV. Responding to a reported traffic crash with lights and siren is well within standard operating procedure for law enforcement.
Yes responding to a traffic crash L&S is within standard op procedure, however- the way the vehicle operator was driving was in no way standard or safe procedure.. Or had due regard for other road users.

I counted at least three times (I turned the video off) where the OP should of passed on the left, not the right.. even if that meant taking over a oncoming traffic lane.

Also he should of slowed down the moment another unit was on scene. Still L&S, but not the way he was driving. I'd expect that type of speed/driving for an officer down, or active shooter at a school..

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
patrol530 said:

My city, which has about 800 officers, has changed their policy and officers are to respond non emergency to accidents with injuries. The city is just too congested, and too many officers are getting into accidents. So now it may take them 2-5 minutes longer to get there. And the accident will still be there when they arrive.

But in reality, what is the reason that an officer needs to run balls to the wall to get there? I know its a rush to run code, Ive been there and done it. But its not necessary. I know that comment is going to piss some people off, but think about it.

Now if your in a rural enviroment, where it may take you 30 mins to get to a scene, that is a little different.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
GTRider245 said:
...and prepared ourselves for vehicles to pull to the right and into our lane of travel (which did happen).
You're damn right it happened. Why the hell wouldn't it? From the minute you get your DL, you're constantly told: Always, ALWAYS, pull to the right when you see/hear an emergency vehicle. Did you really think people see us all the time? Of course not. They pull over, because a Fed Q is about to be rammed up their ass. And when you, the driver that can't spare an extra 30 seconds to drive safely and not kill anyone, go to the right lane, you're making it that there is nowhere for traffic to go. So yeah, there is only one right way to do it. Go back to school, it seems like you could use it.

Nov 29, 2011
UK
I don't see anything massively wrong other than it being a little bit quick in places. I was taught in emergency conditions there are three things to avoid like the plague 1) learner drivers, 2) old people and 3) passing on the left (which would be the right in your case). To take the path of least resistance (ie the quickest and forcing as few people into junctions as possible) sometimes means you must take the inside lane. With the obvious risk that traffic at the first hearing of a siren some do not check their mirrors and simply move into the empty gap not realising you are driving down it. I have been there when motorists have turned into my path and that is why it should be done s l o w l y, I would say little more than walking pace giving you time to react and more importantly time for other drivers to see you.

There are some slight odd things with the video but I think it is important that speed is sometimes a little difficult to judge on video and you might not be seeing everything the driver sees, some of the odd things are 03:20 - why not take the left hand side here, appears free. 04:20 is a bit quick to be passing on the inside, I would be doing that at half the speed if not less. 05:58-06:04 - I would be very apprehensive running down the middle of multi lane traffic unless it is stopped, it could get everyone confused and have surprising results.

But I have seen worse and probably done worse myself, once the red mist sets in it is not until after you realise 'that was a bit close'.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
When passing on the right the OP used excessive speed and siren.......for those who don't see a problem with this...I truly hope luck stays on your side and everyone around you when on a response. I will not say I do not pass on the right. It is not common but it happens. There are times when it is necessary. No siren and slow. The real serious (almost criminal) issue I have with this video is the fact that the camera was adjusted during this response....that was just plain foolish. Hire a camera crew if you want to show your stuff and make it perfect. If you crashed during this response there is a good possibility that you would be in jail after seeing this video. Smarten up.....we need you....

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
emtanderson51 said:
There are times when it is necessary. No siren and slow.

Spot on!

It boils down to this: Do not be a threat to other motorists.

The video upsets me on a personal level; during the video clip he came into contact with hundreds of people. The video represents why some people think firefighters and emt's are idiots.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
EMT-BLS said:
You're damn right it happened. Why the hell wouldn't it? From the minute you get your DL, you're constantly told: Always, ALWAYS, pull to the right when you see/hear an emergency vehicle. Did you really think people see us all the time? Of course not. They pull over, because a Fed Q is about to be rammed up their ass. And when you, the driver that can't spare an extra 30 seconds to drive safely and not kill anyone, go to the right lane, you're making it that there is nowhere for traffic to go. So yeah, there is only one right way to do it. Go back to school, it seems like you could use it.

Explain to me how forcing cars to make a path for us through a mile of backed up interstate traffic is safer than taking the right lane, slowing down and being aware? And for the record, I was in the right seat. I will let my driver know you were concerned though.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
boboloo said:
Spot on!

It boils down to this: Do not be a threat to other motorists.

The video upsets me on a personal level; during the video clip he came into contact with hundreds of people. The video represents why some people think firefighters and emt's are idiots.

Because of how LEOs drive on the way to calls? I doubt it.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
GTRider245 said:
Explain to me how forcing cars to make a path for us through a mile of backed up interstate traffic is safer than taking the right lane, slowing down and being aware? And for the record, I was in the right seat. I will let my driver know you were concerned though.
Don't flatter yourself....I don't give a shit about you or your driver. I'm worried about the innocent motoring public that you put in harm's way, so that you can stand around and look at a MVA. When you do it the way it was taught, while it may inconvenience a few people to change lanes, at least you got there and didn't put anyone in danger.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
EMT-BLS said:
Don't flatter yourself....I don't give a shit about you or your driver. I'm worried about the innocent motoring public that you put in harm's way, so that you can stand around and look at a MVA. When you do it the way it was taught, while it may inconvenience a few people to change lanes, at least you got there and didn't put anyone in danger.

It is painfully obvious you didn't even read my post. Who is "standing around and looking" at an MVA? You also seem to have missed to part about there basically being a non existant left emergency lane. You seem like another person who has too much book smarts and not enough time in the field.

Let me know if you get the nomination for the Daytime Emmy Award with your antics though. Bravo.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
GTRider245 said:
It is painfully obvious you didn't even read my post. Who is "standing around and looking" at an MVA?
Um, you? Unless if in your area, LEOs treat patients, while EMS documents the situations.

GTRider245 said:
You also seem to have missed to part about there basically being a non existant left emergency lane.
No one said you need to take the left lane. What was said, you need to take the the left-most lane. Oh, and "basically" doesn't count in court.

GTRider245 said:
You seem like another person who has too much book smarts and not enough time in the field.
This is not about my experience, or even yours. The prosecutor that'll be looking to have you crucified will not be a field operator, it'll be someone who is incredibly book smart. Your "real-life" experience will not even count enough to be be noted on the record.

GTRider245 said:
Let me know if you get the nomination for the Daytime Emmy Award with your antics though. Bravo.
I don't know how you could've gotten confused here, but the issue at stake here are your antics, not mine.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
Once again, your lack of reading skills shine bright. What part of we were in a fire engine did you not understand? Do cops ride in fire engines down there? Then you mentioned a Federal Q. Now you call me an LEO. Are you drunk?

I find it funny that all of this make believe ridicule is coming from someone with the business slogan of "We go out of our way so people get out of yours" or whatever it is. Good one.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
GTRider245 said:
Once again, your lack of reading skills shine bright. What part of we were in a fire engine did you not understand? Do cops ride in fire engines down there? Then you mentioned a Federal Q. Now you call me an LEO. Are you drunk?

I find it funny that all of this make believe ridicule is coming from someone with the business slogan of "We go out of our way so people get out of yours" or whatever it is. Good one.
Oh, sorry...that was my mistake. The video I was watching showed a vehicle with a push bumper, is that standard on your fire trucks? Additionally, the Federal Q was an example...I was referring to sirens in general. Your comprehension skills make me wonder how long it takes you to read reports...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
2 things:

First, this made me damn near piss my pants.

EMT-BLS said:
They pull over, because a Fed Q is about to be rammed up their ass.

Second, can we take this over to the ring so the debauchary can continue? :popcorn: (also, yay for my first popcorn use)

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Let me start off with this:

1. I have 2 years as an EV operator. Both of those have been in a rural area, working close with area law enforcement. I am by far no expert. These are my thoughts.

2. The law enforcement on our area (a sheriff's office) is responsible for the entire county. They have 4 deputies that all live and patrol in the same town.

3. Their policy is that when responding to the same call as EMS, you are not to pass EMS unless there is potential danger(cannot pass en-route to MVAs). he reasoning with this is that you are law enforcement; not EMS/fire. You are not going to be able to extricate, treat, and transport injured to a hospital. You will at most, direct traffic, write your report, and MAYBE treat a little trauma if you have a kit available.

4. We have 1 state trooper. He is called to almost every MVA (motor vehicle accident).

Now, my rant.

I watched the video two times. I had a lot of trouble understanding how fast you are going. However, your passing does worry me. We're taught that if you need to pass on the right, shut off the siren. Like others have said, it is drilled into people's minds the day they get their learners permit to pull to the right. Not everybody looks. Sirens, while having great use, can also get you into trouble. This is the same reasoning with running a convoy code. It's dangerous, so don't do it.

I, like you, run down a lot of highway. We have an area or curves in which 75% of our MVAs occur. Our response to this area takes up to half an hour to get to, yet you don't see us running 90MPH to get there. The minute another unit checked on-scene, you should have slowed down. Remember, it's THEIR emergency, not YOURS. Take it slow, get there safe, and everybody gets to go home at the end of the day. What you (or your driver) is doing is not only reckless, but gives those of us in public safety a bad image. Had you done this in ND, there is a great chance not only will your chief get a call from the state troopers, you would also be retaking your EVO class.

And last but not least, if you're going to whine because someone mis-took your profession, I suggest you add it on your profile. Confusion will then cease.

I am not trying to put you down, bully, or harass you. I am only trying to help you 'arrive alive'. Be safe.

Just my opinion,

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
timlinson said:
Let me start off with this:

1. I have 2 years as an EV operator. Both of those have been in a rural area, working close with area law enforcement. I am by far no expert. These are my thoughts.

2. The law enforcement on our area (a sheriff's office) is responsible for the entire county. They have 4 deputies that all live and patrol in the same town.

3. Their policy is that when responding to the same call as EMS, you are not to pass EMS unless there is potential danger(cannot pass en-route to MVAs). he reasoning with this is that you are law enforcement; not EMS/fire. You are not going to be able to extricate, treat, and transport injured to a hospital. You will at most, direct traffic, write your report, and MAYBE treat a little trauma if you have a kit available.

4. We have 1 state trooper. He is called to almost every MVA (motor vehicle accident).

Now, my rant.

I watched the video two times. I had a lot of trouble understanding how fast you are going. However, your passing does worry me. We're taught that if you need to pass on the right, shut off the siren. Like others have said, it is drilled into people's minds the day they get their learners permit to pull to the right. Not everybody looks. Sirens, while having great use, can also get you into trouble. This is the same reasoning with running a convoy code. It's dangerous, so don't do it.

I, like you, run down a lot of highway. We have an area or curves in which 75% of our MVAs occur. Our response to this area takes up to half an hour to get to, yet you don't see us running 90MPH to get there. The minute another unit checked on-scene, you should have slowed down. Remember, it's THEIR emergency, not YOURS. Take it slow, get there safe, and everybody gets to go home at the end of the day. What you (or your driver) is doing is not only reckless, but gives those of us in public safety a bad image. Had you done this in ND, there is a great chance not only will your chief get a call from the state troopers, you would also be retaking your EVO class.

And last but not least, if you're going to whine because someone mis-took your profession, I suggest you add it on your profile. Confusion will then cease.

I am not trying to put you down, bully, or harass you. I am only trying to help you 'arrive alive'. Be safe.

Just my opinion,

-Tim

You do realize I am not the OP and not the one in the video, right? You seem to be directing some of your comments to what you saw in the video and what I wrote in my post. Two different people in two different situations. The only reason someone "confused my profession" was because they didn't take the time to read what was going on, being as it was spelled out in what I wrote.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
I got you two mixed up, sorry for that.

However, adding your profession to the side will stop the confusion.

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
Next time, post the video then lock the thread!

Smooth driving. And that was wayyy quieter than some of my response videos-I seem to yell at the dumb drivers.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
EMT-BLS said:
Actually, the way to make sure you don't get negative feedback is either do it perfectly....or don't effing post it here.

I wouldn't say is has to be 100% perfect but... you're probably right. This is the internet after all.

tcfd823

May 21, 2010
CENARK
Here's where i'm at...

at the :33 second mark, you can see a "55mph" speed limit sign...

I figured he was running about 74, at the 5:25. ( figure each line on the highway is 10 ft as per national standards, and the space between them is 30 ft, also per national standards on all federal highways.) comes up to 109 feet per second, and a grand total of 74 miles an hour which was way too fast in some areas, given the traffic conditions (IMHO)

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
tcfd823 said:
Here's where i'm at...

at the :33 second mark, you can see a "55mph" speed limit sign...

I figured he was running about 74, at the 5:25. ( figure each line on the highway is 10 ft as per national standards, and the space between them is 30 ft, also per national standards on all federal highways.) comes up to 109 feet per second, and a grand total of 74 miles an hour which was way too fast in some areas, given the traffic conditions (IMHO)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who considered doing the math on that. I'm also glad you did it because I'm too lazy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.