Out of Service 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Firefighter POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Went through some changes so I'll list them off.

Added a new dash light and siren. Adding lightbar today. Also added mobile radio.

Equipment includes:

911EP older style dash light in R/W

Code 3 MX7000 on roof with 5 slow rotators and intersection sweeps

Whelen 295HFS1A siren with Federal Signal AS124 speaker

That's all I have planned right now since hopefully after the first of the year I will be getting a new vehicle.

Pics will follow.

Dash light cord is run around and under the dash to the cigarette plug and the MX will be wired into 2 heavy duty metal toggle switches on the dash.

Edit: New pics posted. Will share video once uploaded to YouTube.

Note: Replaced the dash light with a Whelen Dash King 2000 dual strobe set on Action Flash

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Holy flashback, Batman!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
It definitely works better than I had it before. It was blocked by the wiper blades before.

I'm still debating on leaving it red/red or taking the lens off the right side and making it red/clear.
If you want red clear, please get a clear lens haha I think it looks tacky without. Clever idea with the temp mounting solution though

Reactions: Jarred J.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
If you want red clear, please get a clear lens haha I think it looks tacky without. Clever idea with the temp mounting solution though
I probably will. I'm gonna test both ways tonight at work. The only thing I don't like about the red/clear is it seems that the clear over powers the red.

I'll try to get a video both ways.

Reactions: tsquale

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Well I have 2 videos but can't install them until I have a wifi connection. Tapatalk won't let me upload them anymore.

If I do red/clear I'm not sure if the red will be on drivers side or passengers side.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
What siren are you using with the old school strobe setup???

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Looks good.

I love the converta-coms. I had one in my old truck. Having the external mounted antenna helps out a lot. Charging capability while between places. Louder and clearer audio. All good stuff.

It looks/sounds like you have a control box only with no amplifier for transmitting. Do you transmit a lot? If you do transmit currently your only using the power of your portable but using the external antenna. Which works pretty good. You can get a control box with built in amplifier specific to your band. Or you can put an external amplifier in line with your antenna connection to make your portable radio the power of a mobile.

I hardly transmitted but I ended up getting a band specific control box to boost my transmitting power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I don't really transmit a lot. Department rule is no one talks on the radio unless they absolutely have to unless we are on a scene or something like that.

I may eventually get one that is band specific but this works for right now for just listening. I don't usually use this radio much anyway unless my dept issued Kenwood is charging or I'm around my old dept so I can listen to them.

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I have merged a couple threads, as it (appears to be) separate installs on the same vehicle. It is really better instead of forcing members to go to multiple threads to see your install, if it is the same vehicle, keep one thread for the vehicle and just update it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i hope those power and grounds are temporary....

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Jarred,

They are temporary. I'm going to get either some bigger o rings or some spade terminals and find different points of contact for the power and ground. Really unsure on how I'm going to re wire the ignition wire.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
So I took my speaker and swapped the location. I got to thinking at work if I left it in the center console, I'd have no where to put my siren. So the Converta-com section is updated to the new location of the speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
i hope those power and grounds are temporary....

Jarred,

They are temporary. I'm going to get either some bigger o rings or some spade terminals and find different points of contact for the power and ground. Really unsure on how I'm going to re wire the ignition wire.
Jarred,

Once I get the chance I'm going to run the yellow ignition switch wire to a toggle switch and run the switch to the battery.

I will also be getting some bigger spade terminal to put on the power and ground wires. At the time I was working with what I had at the house as I was stuck there waiting on a brake line to be replaced.

As far as the ground I will be pulling the door trim off and attempting to find a ground connection there.

Side note: in the picture of the wires ran to the fuse box; the red one is to the toggle switch that powers my radiator fan. I had to run a lighted toggle switch to the fan cause it wouldn't kick on when sitting in traffic causing it to overheat.

I ran the power for it to the fuse for my car stereo that way it would be killed when I turned the key off. That way if I forgot to turn it off it wouldn't run my battery dead.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Took a siren bracket and installed it where the MTVA was. The siren will be mounted with heavy duty Velcro to the bracket. This way it will be easy to remove it if I need to. All wires from the lightbar will be ran under the seat to the plugs on the siren. All wires from the siren will be ran under the dash to the battery and fused. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Looks like a good simple set up. If you want to sell that LS12, let me know!

Dan

Thanks. It's a pretty simple setup. The lightbar has intersection sweeps but I don't have them wired up to a different toggle switch.

I would sell it but it actually is property of my fire department. I found it in the attic and am using it until I get me something else.

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
I miss my XJ Cherokee - these vehicles are just so versitile for a POV... Mine had a Whelen Ultra 9U on the roof, pair of dual Talons in the window and Whelen HALO LEDs in the rear turn signals. Always wanted to bump up to a Grand Cherokee but needed more cargo space.XJ.PNG

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Update:

Once I get it wired and mounted exactly how I wanted it, I have swapped dash lights.

I now have an old SVP 1166 teardrop. I have to modify the "flashback shield". It's aluminum foil stuck inside the dome to make a mirror/shield.

I will get pics and. Videos tomorrow.

Reactions: Tony P

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
VERY nice. I love the mix of LED and halogen. Halogen rotators STILL have their place on emergency vehicles....just mix in a little LED. I hate the "blob" effect of too many flashing LED's.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Wanted to share what I decided to do today.

Had an NMO mount antenna for my mobile but have been wanting to get a magnet mount but haven't had the extra money.

So I had an extra cb antenna laying around. I took the antenna and connectors off the base of it and cut the coax out of it.

Then ran my mobile antennas coax through it and hooked all of its connectors up and made a magnet mount antenna from an NMO mount.

Mainly will be used for receiving and maybe some transmitting if I go POV.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 9

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Could you have not just changed out the whips? Or easily just cut the CB whip down to the other antennas size?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
You already had the known antenna length.... you just measure and cut....

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
In its current configuration it would not have worked.... but once you cut it to the desired frequency then it can be used as long as there wasn't a balun in the housing.... (coiled wire).

But kudos on undertaking a unique project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.