Out of Service 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Firefighter POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
In its current configuration it would not have worked.... but once you cut it to the desired frequency then it can be used as long as there wasn't a balun in the housing.... (coiled wire).

But kudos on undertaking a unique project

Thanks. If I would've known that a bit sooner, I could've saved a good antenna. Lol. It didn't have the coiled wire inside either. Straight coax from end to end.

It was definitely a interesting one getting everything to go together right. Works good for what I need.

I'm going to be retiring the Jeep in the next month or so and getting a new vehicle. Once I get it I'm getting a new antenna anyway. Since it will mainly be for receiving, I will probably get a glass mount one.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
The coil would have been in the base of the antenna, sometimes it's hard to know unless you have good spec's from the mfg (or you've taken one apart).
Love the MX7K with the sweeps, still one of my favorite bars.
I bought a glass mount antenna for my 2way mobile, I had very poor reception, but transmitting was fine. I snooped around some Ham radio sites and found that the overwhelming majority of hams have had the same results with class mount antenna's. I ending up having to go with a hole in the roof (but I'm going to keep this pickup for at least a few more years).

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
The coil would have been in the base of the antenna, sometimes it's hard to know unless you have good spec's from the mfg (or you've taken one apart).
Love the MX7K with the sweeps, still one of my favorite bars.
I bought a glass mount antenna for my 2way mobile, I had very poor reception, but transmitting was fine. I snooped around some Ham radio sites and found that the overwhelming majority of hams have had the same results with class mount antenna's. I ending up having to go with a hole in the roof (but I'm going to keep this pickup for at least a few more years).

I love my bar also. The sweeps actually quit working. Not really sure why. I just took them off the switch and left them. I love the red filters for the sweeps.

Once I get my new vehicle I'm going to add more to the bar anyway. Thinking of rear flashers, takedowns, alleys and maybe replacing inner slow rotators with strobes. Or maybe some strobes in the lower section.

Not sure yet. I do plan on adding more than what I have now though. And I will also probably replace the entire wiring harness while I'm at it.

I may just go with a magnet mount then. Idk. Just depends on what I want to do when I get this new vehicle.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Traded my mobile back to the original for a Code 3 Vcon. Working on getting in contact with mtnman on getting it repaired.

Took out my center rotator and added a Code 3 Oscilaser.

I plan on taking the red lens off of the Oscilaser and making it clear.

Also plan on putting some washers underneath it to aim it higher. Right now it's pointed at the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.