Photos: new Ohio State Patrol light bars

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
dustymedic said:
The PUCO enforcement officers having only in the past few years become part of OSP/Public Safety. They used to report to the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio directly. I can remember when they drove blue AMC Matadors with a single Dietz amber beacon on top. And they had mail box lettering marking who they were. At least now they are set up to look like emergency vehicles...

They need to arm them though. Truck traffic stops can be just as dangerous as any other stops.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
This is what I saw on the way to the stock yard this morning on I-71 in Delaware County. 1st vehicle you see in the median is a Motor Carrier officer with new set up (not lit up), 2nd vehicle is a Supervisor OSP unit doing a subriety check on a driver at 10:30 this morning. (Sorry my freind thought we needed to be in a hurry this morning, poor video). I saw this lightbar about 2 miles away not paying attention. It is definately bright.

Is it the end of the Charger?? This car was at the stock yard, parked outside of it. Has been decommissioned. (have to look hard, but can see the outline from all the decals were they've been removed)

2011-08-26_11-56-51_640.jpg

This is a pic of the new stock that just came in. Mostly Vics and Tahoes for the troopers amungst the rest of the state vehicles. There is, however, 1 grey 2012 Charger in the lot. One of those things that make you go ...hmmmmmmm. See what comes in next month!!

2011-08-26_11-57-15_330.jpg

And there were about 100 cars and around another 75-100 other vehicles on the site. Almost full, so some must have been pulled for uplifting already.

2011-08-26_11-54-13_231.jpg

2011-08-26_11-54-33_93.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
chono said:
They need to arm them though. Truck traffic stops can be just as dangerous as any other stops.

Yeah, gotta look out for those criminal truck drivers .... :dielaugh:

Sorry ...had to throw that in there, I've yet to hear a stop in Ohio on a trucker that turned out bad. Yeah, they get some sometimes with warrants, but not too many that I ever remember that turned out to be a "criminal trucker.. I need help!!" stop. Sorry, sometimes truckers get bad rap also.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
FireGuru said:
Yeah, gotta look out for those criminal truck drivers .... :dielaugh:

Sorry ...had to throw that in there, I've yet to hear a stop in Ohio on a trucker that turned out bad. Yeah, they get some sometimes with warrants, but not too many that I ever remember that turned out to be a "criminal trucker.. I need help!!" stop. Sorry, sometimes truckers get bad rap also.

While one shouldn't even have to comment on the obvious, but how do you think the guns and drugs that plague our streets get moved from point A to point B? You don't believe there is anything to protect in the cab and/or trailer of a semi if your working for the underworld. Shit rats have bosses too.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
TJW said:
While one shouldn't even have to comment on the obvious, but how do you think the guns and drugs that plague our streets get moved from point A to point B? You don't believe there is anything to protect in the cab and/or trailer of a semi if your working for the underworld. Shit rats have bosses too.
There out there, the OSP does a great job of taking those trucks off the road.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
The officer standing by the Tahoe was either a K-9 officer or SWAT with those black BDUs on.......

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
dustymedic said:
The officer standing by the Tahoe was either a K-9 officer or SWAT with those black BDUs on.......

He was working the rest area with the Motor Carrier guys going undernieth trucks when I went back by. They were working trucks over pretty hard today north and southbound. I think he had coverall type uniform on. I didn't see any markings for K-9 on truck. But could have been. You are right though, they usually are dressed like that for K-9 work.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
FireGuru said:
I think he had coverall type uniform on.
Yes, I see the motor carrier guys in those coverall type uniforms all the time. And it's hard to tell in the video because it's a cloudy day, but they are a dark navy blue, not black.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
Hoser said:
Thats how its been done here for a long time. There are troopers that are assigned to work with the PUCO units. Often they set up in rest area's and there will be 4 or 5 PUCO officers there and a couple of troopers with them.

And if a PUCO Officer(s) is working an area, rest assured .... there's a bear out there somewhere!! :haha:

bobnash78

May 1, 2011
Bloomingdale, Oh
The Jefferson county post has one or two of then now. Coming from the opposite direction. It's hard to see this lightbar on top and difficult to tell if it's a cop or not until they're close. Its low profile blended in with the background behind the car.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I was at ODOT (Next door to ODPS) Friday for a conference and the only OSP units I saw were the same old white CV with Vistas... :(

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
KD8GPM said:
New bar on a cruiser from a wreck earlier today. I like it so far, especially knowing now that it has the photocell auto-dim for nighttime use :thumbsup: .
View attachment 14790

Plain Twp. Eh? Thats prolly the same cruiser that was around the corner from my house a couple weeks ago. Looks slick. Im not a big fan of the single red in the upper rear window, or the simeltaneous flashing of the front and rear LED HAWS, but other than that it looks dang good!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Post 72 (Fremont/Sandusky County) has 3 of the new setups on the road right now. They have 2 red grill LEDs, 1 rear headliner red LED and 2 rear deck blue LEDS. They also have LAWs in the reverse lights and turn signals.... 4 front and 4 rear I believe... The bars themselves show up plenty well even in sunshine. I know the alley lights flash, but I have yet to see the takedowns flashing, although I am told they do. Over all it's a nice sleek new look for the patrol. I can also tell from far away if it's a deputy or a trooper on scene.

I like the idea of LE running mostly blue..... it used to be that there were brightness issues with all blue setups. Seeing this setup I now have no doubt that modern LEDs from ANY major company are bright enough to do an all or mostly blue setup.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Starting to see them occasionally, must be getting a few more on the road. Was talking to a friend that said they were on display at the State Fair as the pictures shows. He also told me that ODOT had a couple of new plow trucks there on display and they had a single Blue light to the rear. Anyone see this at the state fair?

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
Hoser said:
Starting to see them occasionally, must be getting a few more on the road. Was talking to a friend that said they were on display at the State Fair as the pictures shows. He also told me that ODOT had a couple of new plow trucks there on display and they had a single Blue light to the rear. Anyone see this at the state fair?
I saw a few of these doing traffic stops on the way to/from the Cincinnati area this weekend. Looks great, all blue bar, single red interior light top center, reverse lights on a TLF.

There was some talk of putting green lights on the plow trucks for a while and that met some opposition, I really can't imagine them putting anything blue on there.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
mjw357 said:
I saw a few of these doing traffic stops on the way to/from the Cincinnati area this weekend. Looks great, all blue bar, single red interior light top center, reverse lights on a TLF.

There was some talk of putting green lights on the plow trucks for a while and that met some opposition, I really can't imagine them putting anything blue on there.

Ya I dont know other than what he told me. He is pretty much a straight shooter, Light /radio nut that I worked with at the FD. I tried searching the net and found nothing.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Im just glad to see a large agency going with something beside a Whelen bar. Thats all i see around here.

FireGuru

May 3, 2011
CENTRAL OHIO
FireEMSPolice said:
FireGuru, the pictures you posted are at Central Install on Alum Creek Drive in Columbus if I am not mistaken.

Yes it was, down there on some business ... got some pics.... wanted to get one of an uplifted one... but none on site. Everything else there has Vista still on it.

Johnny_Law

Sep 6, 2011
Grove City, Ohio
Hello folks, love this coverage of the Ohio State Patrol that you're providing in regards to their equipment upgrades. Long overdue upgrades if you ask me. The new lightbars will be seen more frequently very soon. The Patrol is starting to get them in at a rate of about 100 per week, and the installation plan is to have every patrol car in the fleet upgraded by the end of September, whether that ends up being a realistic deadline or not remains to be seen. One of the things that did just happen recently is the purchase of new Dodge Chargers for their next patrol cars. I think they ordered in the ballpark of 500 Hemi equipped Chargers to replace the CVPIs. Their cars will no longer be white. They are going with the Dodge factory Gray, or maybe a grayish-silver color patrol car again. When you see this car equipped with the new lighting package you'll be impressed. From talking to many of the troopers, the money being used to purchase the equipment come from forfeited drug seizure assets that have been sold at auction.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
Well responded to an accident call the other night and the OSP showed up as well. I got to see there new equipment up close and all I got to say is .....WOW , totally uncalled for . lol.

Anyway the all blue light bar on top with led TD and ALLEY , two Blue lin6s on the rear deck , HAW led's in the reverse lights and the strange thing in the rear was a single red lin6 in the top center of the back window. Thought that was odd

Up front they had wig wags , LED HAW in the corners and two RED LIN6's in the grill

very very impressive lightbar that is for sure.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I saw a GSP car with a Code 3 bar for the first time the other day and it wasn't bad. The car, a Charger, is the first 2010 I've seen with GSP and is set up differently than most. Instead of blue and gray, it was all gray but still with the orange lettering. It also had a regular push bumper instead of the wrap around that Chargers usually get. As for lights, the old set up was a Liberty, 2 2 head dominators in the grill, 2 angle lin 3's on the PB for intersection warning, a 6 head dominator on the rear deck, and OEM HLF/TLF all ran off a Whelen switch box and Motorola siren. This car had a Code 3 with clear lenses (as bright was a liberty but didn't seem to hurt my eyes as bad up close), Code 3 par 36 LEDs in the fog lights (pretty bright, but wasn't too impressed since one was filled halfway with water and went from flashing to an extremely dim steady burn), a Code 3 2 head tir 6 dash light on the rear deck in teal blue (not impressive) and OEM HLF/TLF. The siren speaker was mounted on the push bumper used the middle bar and flush with the passenger side vertical pole. It didn't look the best but has to be louder than what the older Chargers had. For a control box, it looked like a V-Con with a pursuit switch. It was also the first time I've seen a GSP car with a Stalker Dual Radar, which I am very jealous of.

Overall, I believe Code has stepped up their game and, if they are cheaper then Whelen, can definitely see why OHP, GSP, and others are switching. I am sure, now that the big guys have switched, a lot of smaller departments will start shopping Code 3.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
So, who's gotten a hold of some of the old bars and selling them? (Asked by a newb on a budget :) .)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The Trooper blue version is all over my area now.... I know I am usually a whelen guy......... maybe it's just my love of a all/mostly blue police setups....... but I really like these bars. They look sharp when off too....

I have yet to see the all red motor carrier version..... Someone please post a video of the motor carrier red version...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
My fiance and I passed one sitting in the crossover on US-30 near Ontario in Richland County. I showed my fiance and she replied, "that looks weird"..lol

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
FireEMSPolice said:
My fiance and I passed one sitting in the crossover on US-30 near Ontario in Richland County. I showed my fiance and she replied, "that looks weird"..lol

You sure she was talking about the car, or did you have your pants down? :hahano:

odugoose

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus, OH
BillyG said:
Here are some photos of the new OSP lightbars. The pics of the patrol cars were of the first two to be installed and were on display on the Ohio State Fair. The other pics show a close up of the first bar that was delivered and what the lower all blue lenses look like with the clear cut-outs for the takedowns and alleys. At this point there are about 150 of these already installed and on the road. I was told that there will be over a 1000 on the road by the end of the year. Some of you expressed an interest so I wanted to pass it on.
Thanks,

BillyG

its just a normal rx 2700 right, not the multicolored version?

odugoose

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus, OH
FireGuru said:
This is what I saw on the way to the stock yard this morning on I-71 in Delaware County. 1st vehicle you see in the median is a Motor Carrier officer with new set up (not lit up), 2nd vehicle is a Supervisor OSP unit doing a subriety check on a driver at 10:30 this morning. (Sorry my freind thought we needed to be in a hurry this morning, poor video). I saw this lightbar about 2 miles away not paying attention. It is definately bright.

where is that yard? i've allways herd rumors of it but never knew where.

odugoose

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus, OH
Johnny_Law said:
Hello folks, love this coverage of the Ohio State Patrol that you're providing in regards to their equipment upgrades. Long overdue upgrades if you ask me. The new lightbars will be seen more frequently very soon. The Patrol is starting to get them in at a rate of about 100 per week, and the installation plan is to have every patrol car in the fleet upgraded by the end of September, whether that ends up being a realistic deadline or not remains to be seen. One of the things that did just happen recently is the purchase of new Dodge Chargers for their next patrol cars. I think they ordered in the ballpark of 500 Hemi equipped Chargers to replace the CVPIs. Their cars will no longer be white. They are going with the Dodge factory Gray, or maybe a grayish-silver color patrol car again. When you see this car equipped with the new lighting package you'll be impressed. From talking to many of the troopers, the money being used to purchase the equipment come from forfeited drug seizure assets that have been sold at auction.

WTH, we spend all this cash over the last 7 to 8 years to phase our the greyghosts to get the whities, and now were heading right back to grey again?

squeeeg

Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
Hoser said:
They havent came up on auction as of yet. Believe when I say you dont want one of those. Money Pit. Better off finding a good used bar from a member on here. What you looking for? Sent you a PM.

Whats wrong with the old vista's. I too am interested in one if they come up for sale.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
squeeeg said:
Whats wrong with the old vista's. I too am interested in one if they come up for sale.

Lots is wrong with them..... The main problem is that strobes are totally washed out by the LED lower flashers. The bar might as well have not even had the top half. Also, the strobes are costly to replace and are most likely near the end of their lifespans. These bars would be a great platform for making a custom bar, but pretty much any build would require removing the worthless top strobes. They have a total of 6 cuda LEDs in them which would make them worth about $100 at best. These bars were flawed from the day they were introduced....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.