The Fire Helmet Thread

GVFD82X12

Mar 31, 2011
Massachusetts USA
Here is my helmet. Brand spankin new and hasn't seen any action other than the simple chimney fire or MVA.

Cairns N5A with the Streamlight Vantage on it.

The other helmet is the department issued Carins 880 (?) I think. I dont have it anymore, bought my leather and gave that one back.

helmet.jpg

helmet rear.jpg

old helmet.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I'm not a firefighter, but I've been collecting Cairns helmets for a few years. Should I post some of what I have in my collection?

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Out-of-Service Safeco (1994 era), purchased used/surplus from my department. This one sits on top of my bookcase.

uploadfromtaptalk1334033541179.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1334033558176.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1334033598221.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1334034026256.jpg

It was my first restoration; a little bumpy on the very front, but not too noticeable.

It was a fun little project. I want to do more; maybe even get brave enough to try a leather after a few more "tupperwares."

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I picked up my new helmet yesterday. I bought myself a Phenix TL2 Leather. It is such a comfortable and lightweight helmet. The shield is a Paul Conway that I've had for a few years.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y286_NEE202_2d6c768b.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y286_NEE202_229f88a6.jpg

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
36TruckK said:
A guy at work traded me this helmet for an archery target I had...n5a with impact cap and no ratchet...this will be my Chief helmet when I make it!

It has my old Lieutenant device on it for now.

I don't know what I love more...the older helmet, or the black nomex with lime/yellow reflexite. :eek:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
ai272.photobucket.com_albums_jj197_a_phoenix_rising_2008_2012_04_27203557.jpg

blue skull/flame tets

streamlight led vantage

ems shears

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I'm not a firefighter (I was involved with volunteer EMS for 20+ yrs), but I've been collecting leather Cairns helmets for a few years. I became very interested in them when I was a kid...I had a neighbor who was like an uncle who was FDNY, and I was always fascinated with his helmet. Anyway, here's one of the helmets in my collection, from Pelham, NH. There are no mfg tags in it, so I don't know when it was made. It's a Cairns pre-impact cap helmet, and I'm guessing it's from the 1960's.

PelhamFD Cairns.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
36TruckK said:
Pelham NH, sister city of Pelham, NY in Westchester County...spent many a shift in that firehouse.

Post a pic of the finial and I can date it for you.

Here's the photo of the finial...it looks newer than the helmet itself...maybe it was replaced? Also, if it helps date it, the round Cairns tag inside the helmet is actual metal, not foil. Thanks for the help!

PelhamFD Cairns Finial.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Here are a few more of my helmets, in no particular order, they are:

-N5A from the West Newton, PA FD Ass't Chief.

-5A(?) (no impact cap) from Malden, MA Rescue 2

-5A NOS (no impact cap), mfg 2/84

-5A from Brookline, MA FD Eng 5. This helmet was mfg in the early 1980s (no impact cap), and is almost brand new - it was issued to a firefighter that preferred his 1010, so it was never used.

-N5A from Cambridge, MA FD Engine 9, mfg 3/89.

-N5A from Cambridge, MA FD Ladder 3, mfg 9/95.

FDWN Ass't Chief Cairns.jpg

Malden Rescue 2.jpg

NOS Cairns.jpg

Brookline FD Engine 5 Cairns.jpg

Cambridge FD Engine 9 Cairns.jpg

Cambridge FD Ladder 3 Cairns.jpg

36TruckK

Jul 16, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
Tristar said:
Here's the photo of the finial...it looks newer than the helmet itself...maybe it was replaced? Also, if it helps date it, the round Cairns tag inside the helmet is actual metal, not foil. Thanks for the help!

The screened holder and the foil tag came to be about 1975. Seems the all red embossed holder ran from about 1965-1975. The red and black embossed holder was from inception of the 6" until about 1965. New York to New Jersey was 1948. Hope that helps

36TruckK

Jul 16, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
Tristar said:
Here are a few more of my helmets, in no particular order, they are:
-N5A from the West Newton, PA FD Ass't Chief.

-5A(?) (no impact cap) from Malden, MA Rescue 2

-5A NOS (no impact cap), mfg 2/84

-5A from Brookline, MA FD Eng 5. This helmet was mfg in the early 1980s (no impact cap), and is almost brand new - it was issued to a firefighter that preferred his 1010, so it was never used.

-N5A from Cambridge, MA FD Engine 9, mfg 3/89.

-N5A from Cambridge, MA FD Ladder 3, mfg 9/95.

LOVE the Cambridge Truck hat!

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
36TruckK said:
The screened holder and the foil tag came to be about 1975. Seems the all red embossed holder ran from about 1965-1975. The red and black embossed holder was from inception of the 6" until about 1965. New York to New Jersey was 1948. Hope that helps

Wow! Quite a bit of knowledge! Thanks for the information...Unless the finial was replaced, it seems that the Pelham helmet is from 65-75. One of my other helmets that I purchased from an FDNY medic (that he purchased well used from someone one the job) has no labels, but it has the metal round tag held in place by a screw, and the finial is red and black embossed. In addition, the top of the finial isn't flat - it raises up towards the front of the helmet. However, it looks like there's still only enough room for a 6" shield. So, any guess on the age of that one?

What significance is there to the flat top finial vs. the one that raises up?

Why the tradition of painting the top of truck helmets red? I know Boston and Cambridge does it...Is it a Mass tradition only?

By the way - if you're FDNY, please tell me if L44/E92 (Jerome Ave, Bronx) still exists. A number of yrs ago, after helping at an MVA involving a member of that house, I spent the afternoon and evening there...quite the experience!

Thank you for all the help and information!

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Got my first leather lid in. Paul Conway American Heritage. I love it. The eagle is missing one nut and bolt, though that will be easy enough to replace. Pics when I get to a computer. She will have to go from black to yellow.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Some very cool looking lids out there.

I know a lot of you are into the "salty" look, personally I like the look of a nice clean helmet. Color me different.

I currently have three.

(1) My (personal) N5A -- probie front on it, supposed to be coming off:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5195_6997025810_4aab774ea4.png

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7186_7143112821_1a6fe489c2.png

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5449_7143112133_cfba048768.png

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7115_7143111373_ea5c87257d.png

I swapped the front holder with a carved one, and also swapped the default chin strap for a longer one w/ postman slide.

(2) EMS extrication (dept. issued):

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8142_7143115201_9131b61274.png

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8151_7143114375_2203160153.png

(3) Dept. issued fire helmet -- 1044 w/ Defender shield:

(not in service at the moment)

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8149_6997028246_c45ed39f9b.png

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
bwoodruff said:

I know a lot of you are into the "salty" look, personally I like the look of a nice clean helmet. Color me different.

I currently have three.

I can't stand having a dirty helmet, or gear for that matter. Both get washed thoroughly after a fire.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Bfat567 said:
Not me, I love popping my trunk and smelling structure fire! :yes:

I love the smell, I just like my equipment to look top-notch and polished when I'm done. People may make fun of me, but I see no reason to go back out in the public eye with filthy equipment.

On the law enforcement side, my uniforms are to be pressed and starched; my boots polished and brass buffed to a shine, all to cast a sharp and professional appearance upon myself and my agency.

Fire apparatus is meticulously cleaned, waxed, and polished.

Why should my fire PPE be any different?

Just my .02; if others prefer their gear salty, that's their preference.

*steps off soapbox*

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
jprleedy4680 said:
I love the smell, I just like my equipment to look top-notch and polished when I'm done. People may make fun of me, but I see no reason to go back out in the public eye with filthy equipment.

On the law enforcement side, my uniforms are to be pressed and starched; my boots polished and brass buffed to a shine, all to cast a sharp and professional appearance upon myself and my agency.

*steps off soapbox*

I agree completely!

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
jprleedy4680 said:

*steps off soapbox*

I like my truck and uniform to be clean, PPE gets washed after a job, any stains that remain, fine, thats part of the character, but my helmet just gets wiped off, no washing, no waxing, no heavy cleaning. Its a signature piece, no two helmets are the same. All of the dings, dents, dirt, grime, soot, ect.. are all my own. I wont have chunks of drywall falling off, but i dont want it to be a clean shiny piece of equipment.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
NCFD43 said:
I like my truck and uniform to be clean, PPE gets washed after a job, any stains that remain, fine, thats part of the character, but my helmet just gets wiped off, no washing, no waxing, no heavy cleaning. Its a signature piece, no two helmets are the same. All of the dings, dents, dirt, grime, soot, ect.. are all my own. I wont have chunks of drywall falling off, but i dont want it to be a clean shiny piece of equipment.

That's how I am. I see no need to wear bunker gear packed full of carcinogens, but a helmet is a fireman's story teller that speaks volumes without saying a word.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
I can understand that. It's when you have the guys that roll their helmets around in the muck just to make it look cool that I'm lost. If you dirty it, do it right!

Everything gets washed and cleaned after a fire. Don't want any nasties embedded in my gear. I also don't need grime or soot to show that I have been in a fire and that I know what I am doing. I let my actions speak for themselves. That's just me, I know some guys love the "dirty" look LOL :D

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
bwoodruff said:

I currently have three.

(1) My (personal) N5A -- probie front on it, supposed to be coming off:

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5195_6997025810_4aab774ea4.png

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7186_7143112821_1a6fe489c2.png

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5449_7143112133_cfba048768.png

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7115_7143111373_ea5c87257d.png

I swapped the front holder with a carved one, and also swapped the default chin strap for a longer one w/ postman slide.

:eek: Holy natural leather helmet! That's freakin gorgeous!

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
dusty said:
yeah it is, I wish I could have worn natural.

Thanks! I talked to my Chief about it before purchasing. He was okay with it, so I went for it. He did warn me that it is going to take a lot of maintenance to keep it looking like that, once it sees some fire (we don't get a heck of a lot of them).

theolog said:
:eek: Holy natural leather helmet! That's freakin gorgeous!

Thank you!

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Just got off the phone with Paul Conway about replacing some labels. I was told "they come from the manufacturer with those, I'm not sure if we have them." Odd. I wonder if it's a different division, or if construction is contracted out.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
dusty said:
Just got off the phone with Paul Conway about replacing some labels. I was told "they come from the manufacturer with those, I'm not sure if we have them." Odd. I wonder if it's a different division, or if construction is contracted out.

I think Lion Apparel builds the helmets now; Conway makes the shields.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.