Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i never seen the responder Freeze alarm

the freeze alarm came around due to the fact that some of the whelen folks had summer cottage in Old saybrook and the like if the PD saw the red light flashing they were to call the owner

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Here are all 3 versions / vintages of the FREEZ-ALARM by Whelen

These lights were put in a window seen by a neighbor, or passing traffic to alert when your heat was not working.

When the temperature in the room goes below that set on the control switch, the light turns on and begins to flash.

The first used a ROTA-BEAM base and dome, a frosted bulb and has an older version switch/control.

The second used a ROTA-BEAM base and dome, a clear bulb, had a separate small steady burn pilot light, and a newer switch.

The third used the base and dome of the newer RESPONDER.

Now that's something I could've used when I lived up in the Panhandle area years ago. I lived in Lubbock for 22 yrs and never got used to the cold, which got below zero a lot in the winter-time. And the cold weather lasts much longer into the Spring than it does here in West Texas. But I'm afraid that selling one of these things around here would be like selling ice cubes to Eskimos! :p

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303501.jpg Just picked up this NOS 3rd Version Whelen ROTA-BEAM aircraft anti collision light to add to the Whelen Museum.

This is Model B12, and came in original box, in perfect condition, with insruction and wiring sheets, and original unused gasket.

The things that make this different from Version 2 are the dome retention pins, the motor, and the newer lens cage.

See 5 Aircraft ROTA-BEAMS post in this thread.

S6303501.jpg

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303602.jpg Here's a NOS very early version CORPORAL with Deep dark blue dome (common on older Whelen lights), and NOS steel factory mounting plate for magnetic models (described elsewhere in this thread).

S6303602.jpg

Last edited:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Whelen should have stayed with their early blue color, the later greenish-blue just doesn't look as good in my opinion.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
Whelen should have stayed with their early blue color, the later greenish-blue just doesn't look as good in my opinion.
I agree. The deeper blue looks nicer; but the newer blue is much brighter. The older blue was harder to see during the daytime, and for areas that ran blue-only, that could be a problem. I know that the newer-generation blue LEDs are brighter...even in the bright West Texas sunlight (supposed to be 105 today).

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
I agree. The deeper blue looks nicer; but the newer blue is much brighter. The older blue was harder to see during the daytime, and for areas that ran blue-only, that could be a problem. I know that the newer-generation blue LEDs are brighter...even in the bright West Texas sunlight (supposed to be 105 today).

The police around here run red and blue LED's, this after years of solid blue halogen light bars and strobes. I've been told by some that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have never found blue to be nearly as visible as red during daytime. Blue is awesome at night, but during the day I will see red lights much further away than I can see the blue lights.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
The police around here run red and blue LED's, this after years of solid blue halogen light bars and strobes. I've been told by some that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have never found blue to be nearly as visible as red during daytime. Blue is awesome at night, but during the day I will see red lights much further away than I can see the blue lights.

I concur! We started running red/blue combinations on our ambulance lollipop lights back in the '70s. During the daytime you could see the red but not the blue. But at night the blue was much brighter.

This reminds me of an incident that occured in 1976. We had just put our "new" 1965 Pontiac Consort ambulance in service. This was a very well-lit vehicle. We had a pair of clear-domed 175 beacons with the two horizonatal red bulbs and angled clears on th front corners with a Q mounted front center. Between the Q and front beacons were a pair of red DoRay lollipop lights, and behind the Q was a blue Dietz-211WW beacon. On our first run on a Sunday afternoon a kid fell during the motorcycle races and sustained a broken leg. The trip from the track to Lubbock's Methodist (now Covenant) Hospital was better than 20 mi. For a Sunday afternoon the traffic was moderate, so I wasn't running the Q all that heavilly. We also had an Interceptor with grille-mount speaker, and I was running it on yelp. But just as we got to our last major intersection I went to roll the Q over, and nothing happened. So I just left the Interceptor on until we got to the ER. Methodist's new ER at the time was all glassed-in, so when we pulled in the drive I glanced over and could see that the front beacons were barely turning. So to be careful I left the car running while inside. When we came out I turned on the lights and they were working fine again. Then just after we got back to the track we had another run in to Methodist. This time I just barely ran the siren, but the same thing happened at that same last major intersection. And on this run a cop I knew had followed us in to tell us that at that last intersection all he could see was the blue beacon in back.

The next morning I dropped the ambulance off at an automotive electrical shop that I had traded with. Just before noon the owner called to say that the problem was in the alternator. Superior put 55-amp alternators on the Consorts, and they powered Q sirens with no problem. But the guy said that for some reason someone had put a 35-amp alternator on the car. No wonder we had problems. He replaced it with a 65-amp alternator and we never had problems again. It was just a surprise that the blue beacon was the only thing visible, and that was in bright sunlight. Could be something in the difference in bulbs that Dietz used vs what Federal was using!

Skip Goulet said:
I concur! We started running red/blue combinations on our ambulance lollipop lights back in the '70s. During the daytime you could see the red but not the blue. But at night the blue was much brighter....

This is getting way off topic, but....

Remember when Ward LaFrance started painting their equipment "Lime Yellow"? DuPont had done extensive analysis on passive color perception in the human eye and determined that was the most visible color possible. (Passive refers to color reflected back from a light source, active is the color of the light source.) I seem to recall from the same era an analysis of candle power absorption of various beacon domes. Glass performed better than plastic, and red plastic absorbed 85% of the candlepower! All this is useless now with LEDs.

In the same study, it mentioned that the eye sees blue at further distances, but cannot easily estimate the range or distance of the light source. Red, while not as easily seen, is easier for the eye to estimate the light source range. So, if the intensity of the light source is the same, the red may appear brighter because it is easier for the eye to see where it is. Also, the blue-green color evolved to help with the depth perception problem of deep blue colored domes. And, thus, combined red/blue was determined to be optimum for safety. Now, if only someone would study flash patterns....

BTW, I still have my Lime Green Ward LaFrance windbreaker (albeit several sizes too small, now). :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370473790.323042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dmathieu said:
Here's a NOS very early version CORPORAL with Deep dark blue dome (common on older Whelen lights), and NOS steel factory mounting plate for magnetic models (described elsewhere in this thread).

stansdds said:

I did mention the blue color difference.... :)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303604.jpg S6303605.jpg S6303606.jpg S6303607.jpg Some very subtle, and some not so subtle differences in the RB11
Version 1 Appx. 1954-1957 Vintage, picture 3
Version 2 Appx. 1957-1962 Vintage, picture 2
Version 3 Appx. 1962-1992 vintage, picture 1

S6303604.jpg

S6303605.jpg

S6303606.jpg

S6303607.jpg

Last edited:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Major changes in dome retention methods between the three versions.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303619.jpg Here is a vintage NOS, in original box, ROTA-BEAM RB11 120 Volt AC.

This was also called the RB-120.

These were used for alarm systems and industrial applications.

S6303619.jpg

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303664.jpg Original large 8" tall ROTA-BEAM SENIOR, (appx. vintage 1960), pictured on the fire truck in the ad above.

The red light pictured on the left side of the ad is a smaller ROTA-BEAM RB11 STANDARD (same size as the DEPUTY).

S6303664.jpg

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
$(KGrHqR,!rIFG,Z7S6C-BRw1ieYg0!~~60_57.jpg Pictured in the top left of this Darley catalog cover is an early Whelen crossbar with 2 SENIOR ROTA-BEAMS.

The bar is portable and set up with the standard Whelen metal cigarette lighter plug and cord.

Looks like a Unity rack to me.

$(KGrHqR,!rIFG,Z7S6C-BRw1ieYg0!~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Even though they are beat up and dirty, I figured you'd like them anyway, Dan.

Saw this on a ship I've been on: Engine room signal/alarm Roto-Beams, still in service since the 60's

DSCN0766.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Pictured in the top left of this Darley catalog cover is an early Whelen crossbar with 2 SENIOR ROTA-BEAMS.
The bar is portable and set up with the standard Whelen metal cigarette lighter plug and cord.

Looks like a Unity rack to me.

I agree, Dan. Looks like a Unity to me, and Darley featured a lot of Unity products back then. The Unity racks were good sellers because they were set up for "put what you want" on them.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Not sure if it's really a Rota-Beam... but here's my 88D. Originally 24volt, converted it back to 12v (can swap it back). Was on a 2 1/2 ton military/forestry unit, I found it under a work bench at the Fire Dept that had the truck. Barter system netted me with it... smiling all the way home.

SANY0650 (2).jpg

SANY0652.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
s6303702.jpg S6303706.jpg Here is a NOS Late (1991) Version ROTA-BEAM Model RB11 on an extendable motorcycle pole mount.

Heavy Duty with coiled cord.

Extends from 22" to 42".

For more on The very first rotating light (1956) made for motorcycle use, see page 4 of this thread.

s6303702.jpg

S6303706.jpg

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
$(KGrHqJHJB!FH6g1sQWoBS!IKTUN!Q~~60_3.jpg S6302547.jpg I just latched on to the elusive ROTA-BEAM RB10, predecessor to the well known RB11.

The RB10 has a tag placing Whelen Engeneering in Joliet, Illinois, not Deep River, Connecticut.

The RB10 was manufactured in appx. 1954, the very first ROTA-BEAM made for automotive use.

More pics to come after it is received and refurbished.

It is identical to the first version RB11s pictured here, but with the RB10 tag.

This is the only old style ROTA-BEAM that I was missing from my collection! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

$(KGrHqJHJB!FH6g1sQWoBS!IKTUN!Q~~60_3.jpg

S6302547.jpg

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
I just latched on to the elusive ROTA-BEAM RB10, predecessor to the well known RB11.
The RB10 has a tag placing Whelen Engeneering in Joliet, Illinois, not Deep River, Connecticut.

The RB10 was manufactured in appx. 1954, the very first ROTA-BEAM made for automotive use.

More pics to come after it is received and refurbished.

It is identical to the first version RB11s pictured here, but with the RB10 tag.

This is the only old style ROTA-BEAM that I was missing from my collection! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Nice acquisition....again. I swear, with what you've got, you could open your own Rota-Deam store. I was just looking at that 88D above. Were they demountable like the Federal "D" models? Also, did Whelen ever put the donut magnets on any of the Corporals, 66s or Deputies, like those on the Hotshots,etc.?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Whelen always used the small bar magnets on the ROTA-BEAMS.

They started using the donut magnets on the DMH strobe, Dash Masters,33H, 77H, and Responders

Not sure on the 88 demountable, I don't recall one. Their deomontable mount was their quick disconnect mount pictured in this thread, at least into 1980

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6303752.jpg S6303753.jpg S6303755.jpg S6303757.jpg Here are some pics of the 1954-1955 ROTA-BEAM RB10 after clean up.

I just need to add the proper wire and cig. plug.

I wanted to rechrome the base, but the spindle that accepts the lens cage is pressed on to the motor shaft. The only way to remove the motor is to remove this spindle, and there is too much chance of damaging the motor assy. if I try that. This is the way it will stay. Not bad for a 60 year old light, and it works as it should!

Note: Later versions had a larger hole in the base to allow the spindle to slide through, allowing easy motor replacement.

The base is chrome plated steel. Later they went to chrome plated brass, and then stainless steel.

The dome is attached with 2 acorn nuts at the top, and uses a very thin gasket at the bottom of the dome, as opposed to the heavy rubber dome gaskets used in later 2nd and 3rd generation ROTA-BEAMS.

3rd generation lights have a somewhat different design of lens cage, with metal tabs bent out, to help stop the magnifying lenses from vibrating out of the cage.

Note RB10 and JOLIET, ILL location of Whelen Engeneering on the tag!!

The tag is chrome plated brass, as opposed to the later aluminum tags, and the mounting holes place the tag lower on the base, some what interfering with, or being coverered by the base gasket . The tag is also smaller in height than the later versions.

This light is tagged as a 6 Volt model. There comes with the light a paper describing how to change the light from 6 to 12 Volt by cutting a resistor under the base, in line with the motor, and replacing the 6 volt bulb with a 1196 12 Volt bulb. Voila! It is then a 12 Volt light!

I wonder what this light was used on. Hearse/ambulance combination, fire chief's car, police vehicle?

This was Whelen's very first automotive warning light. (1954/1955 vintage)

Whelen's first automotive light was portable / magnetic mount.

It's interesting to see all of the engeneering revisions made in 1st and 2nd generation lights to come up with their long lived 3rd generation ROTA-BEAM.

More history is on page 1 of this thread.

S6303752.jpg

S6303753.jpg

S6303755.jpg

S6303757.jpg

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Here are some pics of the 1954 ROTA-BEAM RB10 after clean up.
I just need to add the proper wire and cig. plug.

I wanted to rechrome the base, but the spindle that accepts the lens cage is pressed on to the motor shaft. The only way to remove the motor is to remove this spindle, and there is too much chance of damaging the motor assy. if I try that. This is the way it will stay. Not bad for a 60 year old light, and it works as it should!

Note: Later versions had a larger hole in the base to allow the spindle to slide through, allowing easy motor replacement.

The base is chrome plated steel. Later they went to chrome plated brass, and then stainless steel.

The dome is attached with 2 acorn nuts at the top, and uses a very thin gasket at the bottom of the dome, as opposed to the heavy rubber dome gaskets used in later 2nd and 3rd generation ROTA-BEAMS.

3rd generation lights have a somewhat different design of lens cage, with metal tabs bent out, to help stop the magnifying lenses from vibrating out of the cage.

Note RB10 and JOLIET, ILL location of Whelen Engeneering on the tag!!

The tag is chrome plated brass, as opposed to the later aluminum tags, and the mounting holes place the tag lower on the base, some what interfering with, or being coverered by the base gasket . The tag is also smaller in height than the later versions.

This light is tagged as a 6 Volt model. There comes with the light a paper describing how to change the light from 6 to 12 Volt by cutting a resistor under the base, in line with the motor, and replacing the 6 volt bulb with a 1196 12 Volt bulb. Voila! It is then a 12 Volt light!

I winder what this light was used on. Hearse/ambulance combination, fire chief's car, police vehicle?

This was Whelen's very first automotive warning light. (1954/1955 vintage)

Whelen's first automotive light was portable / magnetic mount.

It's interesting to see all of the engeneering revisions made in 1st and 2nd generation lights to come up with their long lived 3rd generation ROTA-BEAM.

More history is on page 1 of this thread.

Now that looks very nice all cleaned up, Dan. I would guess that it could've been used on any of the vehicles you mention above; but depending on where it came from, I would guess that is might've been a vol. fireman's light. I ran across an older RB11 magnetic mount light back in the early '80s when I lived in Lubbock. This was at a funeral home in the small town of Hale Center, TX, about 30 mi. north of Lubbock. I was told that it was used on one of their combinations back in the early '60s when they still provided ambulance service. Their last ambulance was a 1962 Chevy wagon that you would've liked, Dan. It originally had a Federal 174 red beacon in the front center of the roof flanked by a pair of roof-mounted red Fireballs on the front corners. The siren was a Federal doubletone mounted underhood. The 174 beacon was replaced in the late '70 with a four-lamp Whelen beacon that resembled a Dietz 211. It had a clear dome with red and clear bulbs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.