Terrible experience with whelen repairs Dept

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
As an upfitter, I have ran into similar issues. when a customer comes in and needs a repair.... The best way to deal with it, is going to the place you bought it from. Whelen uses Reps that cover certain territory's. 9 times out of ten, the shop can go to the rep and if they have a good working relationship all around, The rep can usually work some magic. I know it sucks when things like this happen, but sometimes the political backdoor can get better results, than walking in the front door....... it also depends on dollar value of the item, and how you are as a customer.. If you go in slamming your fist and stomping your feet, you will most likely be shown the door, or the underside of the service managers size 12.... any reputable shop that sells whelen product would commonly try this route with thier Rep. I have done it in the past, and sometimes it may cost me some shipping fees, but the customer gets what they want and is happy. I then get a return customer who spreads the word about how we took care of them ....
I agree and I didn’t get an attitude with anyone and I didn’t argue. I just expected it to be fixed. But I think the DOM policy needs to be changed to DOP (Date of Purchase). The dealer leaves it sitting around and the consumer pays the price.

Reactions: firebuff17

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Yeah, but I have NOS parts that are 25+ years old. How would the mfg warrant some of these products that are no longer made?

All I am saying is as a consumer, if I go to your establishment to purchase a product. And you are a Whelen certified dealer, you can’t sell me a product as NEW when it should be labeled NOS and not carry a warranty. If it’s sold to me as new I expect it to have a warranty. NOS items have no warranty. We all know that. The dealer shouldn’t be allowed to sell a 10 year old NOS (as new) item without telling the consumer. Or whelen should honor the receipt.

Last edited:

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
They just repaired a used unit that I purchased off this site, no questions asked. Within the 5 year warranty period.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
They just repaired a used unit that I purchased off this site, no questions asked. Within the 5 year warranty period.
They will do that no problem as they should. My problem was I purchased a item as new from a dealer. It was out of the warranty period and they would not honor the receipt. I did not know the DOM from the dealer as I thought it was a new product.

Rgonsior

Nov 14, 2012
Minnesota
Why are you upset with Whelen you should be directing your frustration at the place you purchased the items from. If you have issues with your purchase or how it was purchased take it up with them don't blast the manufacture for following their policies.

Reactions: unlisted

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Why are you upset with Whelen you should be directing your frustration at the place you purchased the items from. If you have issues with your purchase or how it was purchased take it up with them don't blast the manufacture for following their policies.
I am trying to affect change from the top and that starts with getting whelen to change their policies.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I am trying to affect change from the top and that starts with getting whelen to change their policies.
...as others have mentioned your issue is with the seller. Not whelen.

So, the seller won't make good on the return? File a complaint with the BBB.

Reactions: Tony P

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
...as others have mentioned your issue is with the seller. Not whelen.

So, the seller won't make good on the return? File a complaint with the BBB.
With a bill of sale and no evidence of operator/installation abuse they should repair/replace the product under warranty. Period.
It's just good business.

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.