Who made the best rotating halogen dash light?

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Yup thats the same way I ran mine back in the 90's but with red. Very effective.

Nice! :)

When I switched to the Dashlaser I couldn't find a split dome so I bought a clear dome and added red lighting gel to the rear 2/3.

hey all, sorry for the lack of updates!

So the order from VSS ended up being a total bust. not to mention a month's wait to even get the order cancelled! what a nightmare!

the light wasn't in stock, they couldn't find one. the stickers as well. i wouldn't recommend ordering through there any more.

i did get from ebay a firebeam with the mirror, in blue and amber. it came with the mounting plate with suction cups for the windshield. i got the light in pretty rough shape, but not to worry.

a little lexan restorer for the three lenses, new suction cups for the bracket, and some mirror vinyl for the multi flash mirror, all from amazon, and she is good as new and in active service now.

i took the amber half lens off and put the blue half lens to the rear of the light, rather than the front. This makes the main flash white, with 4 blue flashes to the front, instead of 4 white flashes. a really neat side effect of this is having a big white pop at the intersection angles.

Reactions: mr. awesome

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
I tried the 'factory' blue setup first and it was ok, but the white to the sides really washed the blue out and I found it less effective in traffic.

The big downside to this setup now is flashback! I get a bright white streak across the dash. I had to cover the top of the light with tape to get the glare out of the whole windshield.

Not very useful when you can't see out the damn truck!

I did buy a very very used FB3 with an all blue lens that I may try out. This one also has the circuit board for dual speed, with no switch though, so I will have to look into that as well.

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
I tried the 'factory' blue setup first and it was ok, but the white to the sides really washed the blue out and I found it less effective in traffic.

The big downside to this setup now is flashback! I get a bright white streak across the dash. I had to cover the top of the light with tape to get the glare out of the whole windshield.

Not very useful when you can't see out the damn truck!

I did buy a very very used FB3 with an all blue lens that I may try out. This one also has the circuit board for dual speed, with no switch though, so I will have to look into that as well.
You'll need a right angle DPDT switch and a 50 ohm 2 watt resistor. That's all it takes to turn it into a dual speed, but it must have the high speed motor.

Reactions: mr. awesome

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've always been partial to my original vintage Federal Fireball FB-1. The halogen version is obviously brighter but it rotates much slower than the old gear driven model.

Reactions: OliverD
Jun 18, 2013
PA
If I could figure out a way to get an Aerodynic to sit on my dash.. I'd have you all beat... :cool:

Reactions: toon80 and Dave F

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
I ran a Five-O back in the early 90's and that's my choice. Seemed much brighter and more attention getting than other dash mounts of the era.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Obviously this is very subjective, but I believe the Federal dual-speed Firebeam (especially when upfitted with 100w bulb) is the best, brightest option. The Fireball 2 was also extremely effective, though a little slower. Used with mirrors or in pairs very impressive. The halogen Fireball teardrop will always be king and a good choice as well.

Reactions: stansdds and Dave F

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Obviously this is very subjective, but I believe the Federal dual-speed Firebeam (especially when upfitted with 100w bulb) is the best, brightest option.

How'd the dome not melt o_O?

Reactions: dmathieu

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Front and side are equally effective, there is no difference. The reason for the side mounted is to allow for 2 different color 1/2 domes to give a 2 color signal. That is the only difference, and the only reason. It is very easy to convert side to front, or front to side by switching the arm hole in the black rotator gear.
Unless you had the "special" split red/blue front lens! :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.