Another NYC-spec siren: FDNY EMS PA4000 with hi-lo

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
While I believe the FDNY EMS PA4000 has always had a NY spec PA4000 with a EMS logo on the unit, it appears that they have just started adding a hi-lo tone to them.

Video posted by “BrianFDNY” on YouTube. If my memory serves me, PA4000s have been in use since the late 90s, after NYC EMS and FDNY merged. This is definitely the first time I’ve heard one with hi-lo.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2016
NYC
I think it was this year or last they wanted to have emergency services use hi-lo only due to noise pollution.
Yea I’m thinking that’s what it is. A bit surprised, Mt. Sinai hospital ambos seem to use hi-lo for a few months and then went back to typical whelen tones. I guess this is has been in the works for the city since those articles came out. Will be interesting if other FDNY or NYPD vehicles start using it.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I think it was this year or last they wanted to have emergency services use hi-lo only due to noise pollution.
The one thing I like about the hi-lo tone on today's electronic sirens is that it is lower in pitch than the wail and yelp tones.

The yelp on that ambulance siren sounds like a slide flute.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.