Another NYC-spec siren: FDNY EMS PA4000 with hi-lo

classifieds869294

Established Member
While I believe the FDNY EMS PA4000 has always had a NY spec PA4000 with a EMS logo on the unit, it appears that they have just started adding a hi-lo tone to them.

Video posted by “BrianFDNY” on YouTube. If my memory serves me, PA4000s have been in use since the late 90s, after NYC EMS and FDNY merged. This is definitely the first time I’ve heard one with hi-lo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

classifieds869294

Established Member
I think it was this year or last they wanted to have emergency services use hi-lo only due to noise pollution.
Yea I’m thinking that’s what it is. A bit surprised, Mt. Sinai hospital ambos seem to use hi-lo for a few months and then went back to typical whelen tones. I guess this is has been in the works for the city since those articles came out. Will be interesting if other FDNY or NYPD vehicles start using it.

Wailer

Veteran Member
I think it was this year or last they wanted to have emergency services use hi-lo only due to noise pollution.
The one thing I like about the hi-lo tone on today's electronic sirens is that it is lower in pitch than the wail and yelp tones.

The yelp on that ambulance siren sounds like a slide flute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Members
Latest member
Marauderleader
Top Bottom