'04 Chevy Silverado POV

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I just finished my install today 5/9/13.

I will get photos and videos uploaded in the next day or two.

It all worked out great. No more almost being hit at an accident scene because of inadequate POV courtesy lighting.

Its amazing how bright it is even when using the Hi/Lo (50% power) switch! (Again a BIG THANK YOU to emtanderson!)

--- There will be a bunch of photos and some videos. Slow connections might take a while to load them all. ;) ---

People involved:

emtanderson51 = Light bar @ a phenomenal price!

Strobes N' More = Whelen 10 Switch box @ a great price!

JTech & Federal Signal = New gutter mounts.

Myself = Full Installation

Last edited by a moderator:

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Center Console

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5039.jpg

Whelen 10-Switch, Switch Box

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5040.jpg

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5041.jpg

Wires from Light Bar to Rain Gutter

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5045.jpg

More photos and the video coming soon. Got'a run to daughter's dance show.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I ran the wires through the rain gutter to prevent drilling. They fit perfectly!

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5046.jpg

I was able to run the data cable down the rain gutter, into the doorjam space, then into the cab past the seal. The low entry point will wick away any water that tries to follow the wire and prevent water entry. (We just had two HEAVY rain systems move through and not a drop of water entered the cab.)

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5047.jpg

The rain gutter led to a small space in the front right quarter pannel where I was able to run the Pos. & Neg. wires from the bar into the engine compartment without drilling.

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5049.jpg

Ran/secured the wires along the back. I followed other wires and the windshield washer fluid lines.

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5050.jpg

Yellow Top Optima battery didn't leave me room to use ring connectors, so I split the end of the wire and created a "Y" and bolted the terminal connections on sandwiching the wire in the middle.

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5051.jpg

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Front - Bar Off

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5021.jpg

Full Front - Bar Off

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5022.jpg

Driver Side - Bar Off

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5023.jpg

Passanger Side - Bar Off

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5024.jpg

Rear - Bar Off

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5025.jpg

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Front - Bar On

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5032.jpg

Front - Bar On

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5034.jpg

Rear- Bar On

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5036.jpg

Rear- Bar On

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5038.jpg

...Video coming soon. I need to get it uploaded to YouTube. :thumbsup:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Do I spy clear on the rear of that bar? If so, Id swap them for blue modules and put em up front.

Clear to rear big :nono: , IMHO

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
BCD said:
Yellow Top Optima battery didn't leave me room to use ring connectors, so I split the end of the wire and created a "Y" and bolted the terminal connections on sandwiching the wire in the middle.

awww.blackwatercomdivers.com_images_Truck_POV_5051.jpg

NO NO NO!!! You have the top posts right there at your disposal... Invest in some marine terminals for those top posts... The way you have it now is a horrible connection...

[Broken External Image]:http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/ss/epoxmarterm.jpg

Or if you don't want to use the top posts on the battery, there is a "power stud" in the under hood fuse box. You just have to remove the plastic base cover to get to them...

As for not wanting to drill holes, I completely understand, but the easier way (although there are people that will flame me for suggesting this) is by notching the CHMSL and run your wires into the cab from there... Then you can run them across the headliner and down the A-pillar... Then you could have used an existing factory grommet in the firewall to make your positive and negative runs...

But the lightbar does look good, and I like your switchbox location...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Phoenix_Rising said:
Do I spy clear on the rear of that bar? If so, Id swap them for blue modules and put em up front.

Clear is a NO-NO regardless in PA... lol But as it has been states numerous times before, it all depends on how strict your PD is in your area... lol

Eric1249 said:
Lightbar looks good. I am not a fan of running wires through the doorjamb. That will usually leads to problems.

Agreed, but everyone has to start somewhere... And all the runs do look "good" and free from any pinching... Time will tell though...

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Clear is a NO-NO regardless in PA... lol But as it has been states numerous times before, it all depends on how strict your PD is in your area..

You know that I know that :D However, fair point : I am not advising you to have clear lights, as Blue cant have clear in PA. However should you chose to do so, the front of the bar would be a better choice.

My comment wasnt based on the legality of the colors, we have a specific thread on that. Simply making my own comment on it :D

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Eric1249 said:
Lightbar looks good. I am not a fan of running wires through the doorjamb. That will usually leads to problems.

The problem I was faced was preventing drilling through the body to prevent future rust issues. Also, the data cable was CAT-5 and while I can do (wire) CAT-5, I didn't want to cut the head off and then have to go buy new ones, then re-wire it just to put it through the B-Pillar or the roof (which I was completely adamant against drilling).

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
NO NO NO!!! You have the top posts right there at your disposal... Invest in some marine terminals for those top posts... The way you have it now is a horrible connection...

[Broken External Image]:http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/ss/epoxmarterm.jpg

Mmm...I do like those better! I will look into a pair of them. I'd MUCH rather not have the wires like I have them. While they are covered by the rubber seals, I still dislike "Jerry-Rigging" and if can be avoided, I will. I will stop by the auto-parts store this afternoon to see if they have some.

Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

I ran the power from the computer/switch-box through the Firewall and put a grommet in it for that wire. You can see it in the upper right (the wire, not the punch through location).

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Clear is a NO-NO regardless in PA... lol But as it has been states numerous times before, it all depends on how strict your PD is in your area... lol

Agreed, but everyone has to start somewhere... And all the runs do look "good" and free from any pinching... Time will tell though...

I was just at an accident scene on Saturday and the PD was totally cool with it. Not to forget the couple dozen LEO's that have been behind me, passed me, etc. without issue so far. (Doesn't mean I wont encounter a LEO that wants to press the issue, but so far so good. Not trying to be a "smart ass" law breaker, but I have reasoning why I am risking this issue.)

The reason I am fine with the clear for now is I travel to South Carolina 2-4 times per year and I can't have Blue Lenses or I'd be in big trouble there. They take that very serious as Blue in SC is for LEO's. The clear allows me to travel in the state with the bar off. As long as I don't activate it, I won't have problems there.

So, if an Officer does stop me and question me about it, I will have to explain why. Whether or not it will/or will not help...that's up to the officer at that time.

However, that is why I am keeping the clear which came with the unit for now. ;)

***Edit***

See last post that I made this morning after taking kids to school...I just realized y'all were referencing the color of the LED's not the housing. :duh: :bonk: :D

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Phoenix_Rising said:

I just realized while taking the kids to school this morning after my other posts (moment of clarity) that you meant the color of the LED's in the module. Yeah, there are two "clear"/white modules in the rear of the bar. Yes, those I would have no problem replacing once I get some cash to do so.

I thought you were referring to the clear housing/lenses. :duh: :bonk: hehe :D

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Phoenix_Rising said:

Ummmmm its a Legend, unfortunately its not a modular bar.... Basically you cant swap the lightheads around.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
The old girl (my truck) has served me well since bought new in '04.

She has 93+k miles on her and is starting to show her age.

Sometimes I would love to have the Navy paint a photo of North Korea's leader on the side of it and blast it (my truck) with one of its experimental Railguns to put it out of its misery. Lately, it seems like everything decided to start going bad at once. Literally it has been one issue after another and all within a couple months. For someone who has been out of work and ineligible for any compensation because I owned my own business (paid more taxes and fees than someone working for say McDonalds, but I don't "qualify" for assistance like UE.).

So yep...I will gladly replace those white modules once I get cash.

Just really difficult with my current situation.

To make matters worse, I am going back to school as discussed before to obtain my medical degree. I decided to go the nursing route and go this path: RN (ASN - Critical Care, ICU), RN (BSN - Critical Care, ICU), Masters in Nursing - NP (Nurse Practitioner), Critical Care Flight Nurse/NP.

I need a lottery win or something!! LoL :D

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
MEVS06 said:
Ummmmm its a Legend, unfortunately its not a modular bar.... Basically you cant swap the lightheads around.

If so, that sucks. :(

Well, here's to hoping no problems then if that's the case. :(

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
MEVS06 said:
Each section of the bar is a large circuit board.

I thought they could be interchanged. The manual even had the modules listed in the parts section. :(

NJfireguy9094

Feb 20, 2013
Trenton NJ
do u do fire police also

BCD said:
I was just at an accident scene on Saturday and the PD was totally cool with it. Not to forget the couple dozen LEO's that have been behind me, passed me, etc. without issue so far. (Doesn't mean I wont encounter a LEO that wants to press the issue, but so far so good. Not trying to be a "smart ass" law breaker, but I have reasoning why I am risking this issue.)

The reason I am fine with the clear for now is I travel to South Carolina 2-4 times per year and I can't have Blue Lenses or I'd be in big trouble there. They take that very serious as Blue in SC is for LEO's. The clear allows me to travel in the state with the bar off. As long as I don't activate it, I won't have problems there.

So, if an Officer does stop me and question me about it, I will have to explain why. Whether or not it will/or will not help...that's up to the officer at that time.

However, that is why I am keeping the clear which came with the unit for now. ;)

***Edit***

See last post that I made this morning after taking kids to school...I just realized y'all were referencing the color of the LED's not the housing. :duh: :bonk: :D

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Phoenix_Rising said:

Eric1249 said:

:iagree: :iagree:

BCD said:

Like you said, all it takes is the one cop having a bad day and looking for someone to hand down the wrath of God upon!! :suicide:

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Like you said, all it takes is the one cop having a bad day and looking for someone to hand down the wrath of God upon!! :suicide:

Ain't that the truth! :yes:

Ren12

Jun 13, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
BCD said:
I will get photos and videos uploaded in the next day or two.
--- There will be a bunch of photos and some videos. Slow connections might take a while to load

BCD said:
More photos and the video coming soon. Got'a run to daughter's dance show.

BCD said:
...Video coming soon. I need to get it uploaded to YouTube. :thumbsup:

Did you ever get a chance to upload a video to Youtube?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
BCD said:

Not true... I've driven my '95 Tahoe (With a blue/clear/amber lensed 9622 Edge) and my '03 Avlanche (with the same 9622 edge, and a blue/clear lensed patiot) all through out NC and SC and never had a problem...

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
NJfireguy9094 said:
do u do fire police also

I will be put through the training when I start with the new FD I will be running with soon. I am currently with PA Water Rescue, but will be transferring the majority of my time to Dewey FD for EMT and FP.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Not true... I've driven my '95 Tahoe (With a blue/clear/amber lensed 9622 Edge) and my '03 Avlanche (with the same 9622 edge, and a blue/clear lensed patiot) all through out NC and SC and never had a problem...

Really?

I read lots of "horror stories" about the PD down there frowning highly upon Blue Lights (even if it was off, just by having the blue lenses).

Well, thats good to know that they aren't as bad as I have read/heard.

I would not enjoy being targeted and ticketed just to visit my folks.

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Ren12 said:
Did you ever get a chance to upload a video to Youtube?

I apologize, been truly busy lately. I will upload it from the digital video camera tonight in a little bit.

I will attach it to this post when I get it uploaded. :)

I turned my strobes on in my head-lamps and tail-lamps in the video, but the strobe pattern is so fast the camera can't even capture it. All you see is a ghost/halo effect emanating from the area.

-----

Edit:

Not the best, but you get the "picture". ;) I should have put a polarized lens cover over the front of the camera, it would have reduced the glare-out.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
BCD said:
Really?

I read lots of "horror stories" about the PD down there frowning highly upon Blue Lights (even if it was off, just by having the blue lenses).

Well, thats good to know that they aren't as bad as I have read/heard.

I would not enjoy being targeted and ticketed just to visit my folks.

Oh I'm sure it could have been shitty if I ran into the "wrong" officer... lol

This was my Tahoe (that did numberous trips to the south...)

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_New_20Look_20of_20the_20Tahoe_Installed02.jpg

And my Avalanche...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_2011_10_09_15_24_09_756.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_2012_04_28_12_49_21_910.jpg

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Finally uploaded the photos of the new terminals.

They have been installed for quite some time now and just never uploaded them.

(Man...I need to wash my battery! Damn its dirty! LoL )

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
firefighter31 said:
is that a 8GA inline fuse I spot on the battery?If so where in tarnation did you find it?

Yup. :yes:

It's 8AWG.

It came with the light bar as its inline fuse block. Which is odd really, because its fuse rating is much higher than the light physically needs. I think it is a 30 or 40 amp fuse and the light bar in full operation uses somewhere around 16 amps. :confused:

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Update:

Well, I traded in the '04 for a 2014...now I have to decide what to do with this light bar. I want to use it because it is very visible, used it many times since I installed it and can't speak highly enough about it.

I just don't know if I want to drill my brand new baby! (At least not around the roof, no big rain seals to hide the drill areas like in the 2004.)

I might sell the bar on here (in the 4-sale forum) and just go all hide-a-way.

Any thoughts??

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
New truck looks great! Love the wheels. Backrack mount that Legend bar and avoid drilling holes.

Reactions: BCD

BCD

Feb 14, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
Storm4200 said:
New truck looks great! Love the wheels. Backrack mount that Legend bar and avoid drilling holes.

I thought about that, but I have a tonneau cover on the bed which blocks the post holes. :(

Thanks, the wheels are a favorite of mine too...22"ers. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.