1987 AM General HMMWV - Tracy Police Department

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
Updated: Paint has been touched up and graphics are installed. I haven't been able to get my own pictures, but the PD posted pictures today on their Facebook page. The link is the "H1" album. The graphics are visible towards the end, but I figured some of you would like to see the whole process.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.507276042636344.112515.171131369584148&type=3

This weekend, we finished up the installation of lights and other accessories into my hometown's HMMWV. I know that split fail is committed with the rear lights and they don't sync with the other lights, but they were donated, so we went with it.

For reference, donated or reused equipment is marked with a *

Lights

---------------------------

1 x 48" Whelen Liberty SC Red/Blue (No board when I got it, so it is powered by 2 ULF44s) *

2 x Whelen ION Universal Mount Blue

2 x Whelen ION Universal Mount Red

2 x Whelen ION Surface Mount Blue

2 x Whelen ION Surface Mount Red

1 x Strobes N More E6 Red *

1 x Strobes N More E6 Blue *

2 x Strobes N More E6 Red/Blue Split *

2 x Rigid Dually D2 LED Flood Light

1 x Sound Off Multi Color Dome Light

Other Electronics

----------------------------------

1 x Code 3 Mastercom 3892L6 *

1 x Code 3 C3100 Siren Speaker *

1 x Backup Camera

1 x AM/FM Radio

1 x Sure Power 100 Amp Battery Equalizer

IMG_4448 (2).jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4420 (2).jpg

IMG_4433 (2).jpg

IMG_4436 (2).jpg

IMG_4439 (2).jpg

IMG_4444 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
The vehicle is 24v, the accessories run off of the battery equalizer. Most of the time, when running, we get about 13.6 volts to the accessories.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I Liiiikkkeee it... Looks good :thumbsup: the rear isn't that bad.. :-x

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
very nice! i love how all the ions & libby have a clean, sync-ed look with a good flash pattern.

as for the SNM's to the rear, it's not a big deal at all, because all the rear surface mounts are properly sync-ed together, so it doesn't both me one bit if they are not sync-ed with the front or the sides.

any idea how much they got the '87 AM for?

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
That was our goal, the right pattern to get the point across, we're moving traffic, not causing seizures :) For the how much question, my understanding is that the vehicle was free. We received two of them from the Department of Defense through a program, the name of which is failing me now... :confused:

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
I don't know of any joint SWAT affiliation, I believe the main purpose is to not have the other squads out and about during bad weather and for PR. For now, I'm just the wiring guy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention search and rescue also.

Last edited by a moderator:

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
EVT said:
What is the purpose of this thing? Is Tracy PD on some kind of joint SWAT team or something?

sgzwach said:
I don't know of any joint SWAT affiliation, I believe the main purpose is to not have the other squads out and about during bad weather and for PR. For now, I'm just the wiring guy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention search and rescue also.
Divide got a few of them also. Mostly to be used in bad weather, search and rescue, etc.. they haven't been touched in months, however.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Like everyone else it looks great and the split fail in the rear doesn't look bad. I only have one suggestion switch one red and one blue in the front and make it flash all red then all blue to match the light bar. But it's up to you I like it either way

Beachpatrol

Aug 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
They are acquired through the Governments 1033 program which is used to supply military surplus vehicles and equipment. The Humvees are free but are technically on loan and can be recalled. I administer the program for my municipality. We recently got a 2001 Humvee with 500 miles only problem is that ours has a turret and it leaks. Ours are for high water rescue and beach patrol, definitely not SWAT use. Ours is being painted and upfit as we speak, we will be using lights removed from vehicles killed by Sandy.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
\ said:
They are acquired through the Governments 1033 program which is used to supply military surplus vehicles and equipment. The Humvees are free but are technically on loan and can be recalled. I administer the program for my municipality. We recently got a 2001 Humvee with 500 miles only problem is that ours has a turret and it leaks. Ours are for high water rescue and beach patrol' date=' definitely not SWAT use. Ours is being painted and upfit as we speak, we will be using lights removed from vehicles killed by Sandy.[/quote']

Not trying to hijack but can you send me some info on this program.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think it looks GREAT!! love the sync with the light bar , dont mind the rear splits, Love the Rigids, Love the color.

cant wait to see the final product!

A+

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
Storm4200 said:
i think it looks GREAT!! love the sync with the light bar , dont mind the rear splits, Love the Rigids, Love the color.

cant wait to see the final product!

A+

The Rigids do rock. I happened to take a semi-artistic photo of them :cool:

IMG_4440 (2).jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Beautiful rig. One minor suggestion pertaining to the video: boast the volume on the background rock music.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
MEVS06 said:
Looks great. I just wired in a HLF to my D2's last night, Ford-Dealer hooked me up with a SOS flasher and I just couldnt wait to get it installed.

I have my duallys hooked to a whelen HLF myself. Wow is all I can say

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
MEVS06 said:
Looks great. I just wired in a HLF to my D2's last night, Ford-Dealer hooked me up with a SOS flasher and I just couldnt wait to get it installed.

I told the chief that we could do that, I have multiple flashers laying around, but he thought it might be a bit much :(

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
sgzwach said:
I told the chief that we could do that, I have multiple flashers laying around, but he thought it might be a bit much :(

theyre so bright i only use them about 10% of the time

sgzwach

Dec 9, 2012
Minnesota
Storm4200 said:
theyre so bright i only use them about 10% of the time

That's what he decided. We took it for a spin through town quick after the lighting was done to show the officers and I flipped on the D2s on a side street. It went from dark to daylight really fast

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
It looks great. Great job.

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Pimpin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.