2 Whelen Outer Edges, a flasher, sync & steady burn.. A little help

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
So I am about to install two Whelen Outer Edges (top & C pillar edge) on my Tahoe PPV. They will be all blue. I also have a pair of M7's flush mounted on my rear liftgate.

-What i want: I want to sync the heads on my upper outer edge with my C-Pillar outer edges (have no clue how im going to sync the up yet whether its solid bar on each side in a X pattern or each head alernate BUT anyways..) and im thinking about syncing the Whelen M7's with the outer edges but not sure yet. I need two options here, 1 is for them to flash sync which is easy enough but 2.) I want atleast 1 pair of the LINz6's on my top outer edge and may do the center LINz6's on my c-pillar edge to do steady burn/cruise mode for "safety checkpoints" which we do alot of, if i happen to be on a call (domestic or whatever) or anything I may want to assist on a stop and use my steady burn blue with amber TD bar behind window rather than activating all rear lights. My front Nforce bar will be hooked up on same switch to have one or two pair of heads in it to steady/cruise also.

-Problem: HOW DO I MAKE THIS HAPPEN without the entire rear outer edges going to a steady burn? Is there a flasher out there like the ERM that has two "Modes" but also has seperate switching on inputs? like mode one would be steady burn for only two heads in the rear which means i hook it to #1& #2 inputs but & mode 2 flashes and all my outer edge heads are hooked to #3 & #4 inputs to alternate.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I don't have any experience with the ERM flasher. I have done something close to that with a ULF-44. In my agency is difficult to purchase anything other that Whelen or FedSig.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
yea I understand I can have 2 modes on these BUT when I choose to Steady burn/cruise mode the only 2 lightheads of the 14 back there and not make the entire thing go into cruise mode because that would be waaayyyy too much.

EastSide279

Apr 11, 2013
CT
Buy two flashers. One to power the light heads you want to use as steady/cruise and one for the other light heads you don't want to. Or you can always get the new Whelen carbide controller which will do the same plus much more.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Wouldn't that still
Buy two flashers. One to power the light heads you want to use as steady/cruise and one for the other light heads you don't want to. Or you can always get the new Whelen carbide controller which will do the same plus much more.

Wouldn't that still apply hot to the other wires hence making them flash?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Run two seperate wires, one to each ULF, then connect the snyc wire between them.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Run two seperate wires, one to each ULF, then connect the snyc wire between them.

I'm not following there...

So use two flashers, don't use the built in flashers on the LINz6's... Run a output wire from one flasher and a output wire from another flasher to what? And what with the sync wires exactly?

If I hook an output to the hot on the two lightheads I want to steady burn then easy enough but I want them to flash also when in emergency mode and not steady burn to rear on traffic stops.. So if I hook the second flasher to what...? One lighthead and the opposite output to another and just connect sync wires??

Sorry, just confused..

Jul 14, 2014
NV
No worries.
Program all the lightheads to steady burn. If there Whelen it's the white/violet wire to change the flash pattern (the light head needs to be on first, then advance one pattern at a time until you get to steady burn). I don't know what light heads your using, so I can't tell you how many times you need to advance the pattern until you get to steady burn. Here's the install guide for the M7.
http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14189.pdf

Once you get all the light heads set to steady burn, post here and I'll go into programming the ULF-44.

I have no experience with the ERM flasher, so if you go that route, I'm going to bow out of this thread.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Ok yea I know how to set them on steady and sync wires and etc... Just curious if I use a ULF44 how I would make all 16 lightheads in the two outer edges sync/flash (I know how to do that by hooking the hot wire to what outputs on the flasher I want them synced in) I'm just wondering how I only make 2 of the heads steady burn when I don't want them flashing, if I run a seperate wire on the 2 linz6s I want to steady burn and run them to a seperate switch that when I apply power to that wire to steady burn it will be touching the same wire as my output wire on flasher making it hot and would that not activate them to flash.? Or no?

Or would it be easier for me to use factory flash patterns, sync them that way and use a flasher just for the steady burn function.?

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Like 801 says, buy two ULF-44 flashers, and wire the lights you want to cruise to the first ULF-44. Wire all the rest of the lights to the second ULF-44. Connect the sync wire between the two. Only other option is to buy a carbide.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
If your going to go the ULF route, wire each ULF to a separate switch, or different output on your control head IE 2 and 3 or 1 and 2 or something like that.

The lights you want to steady burn when on the side of the road you will have to wire separately than all the other lights. Lets call this switch 1 (just to keep in strait in my mind lol). All the other lights go to Switch 2.
Steady burn lights go to one ULF-44 (I'll call it ULF #1)
All the other lights go to the other ULF-44 (ULF #2)

Program both ULF-44 (#1 and #2) to the flash pattern you want, to keep it simple for me (lol) I'm going to say the default pattern SignalAlert. Connect the sync wires between the two ULF-44's, (#1 and #2) terminal#5. Now all the light heads are on the same pattern.

Program ULF #1 to steady for the override pattern, run a wire to terminal #3 to a switch.

Turn on the switch to ULF #1, lights default pattern SignalAlert, turn on the switch for pattern override, steady burn.

Want to get fancy, use another switch (I'll call it low power) to the low power terminal #2 and you get steady burn and low power for nighttime. Really fancy, run a wire from that same switch (low power) to both ULF's and you get low power on all the light heads connected to the ULF's.

Here's the install manual for the ULF-44. http://whelen.com/install/141/14103.pdf

Reactions: fireman616wfd

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Ok so let me get two things straight..

I hook up all 14 of the 16 to one flasher (flasher that will flash) and the two heads I want to beable to steady burn only at checkpoints or something to the other flasher. When i sync the flashers those lights hooked to the steady flasher will then flash when I activate the "flashing flasher"?

Or do I hook all lights up to the flashing flasher and hook into the same but splice with the steady flasher on the two heads I want to steady burn?

I didn't realize the ULF's had two modes and wasn't sure what the sync was on them, I have never used a ULF44 due to the price but looks like I should have gotten one to play with before I wrote it off.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I hook up all 14 of the 16 to one flasher (flasher that will flash) and the two heads I want to beable to steady burn only at checkpoints or something to the other flasher. When i sync the flashers those lights hooked to the steady flasher will then flash when I activate the "flashing flasher"?

Yes that is correct. Because your in the Primary mode on both flashers, and the flashers are sync'ed. My recommendation is to let them run for a few minutes, maybe several minutes to make sure both flashers are on the same pattern before you program the ULF#2 (see above) for the steady burn pattern in the Override mode.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Yes that is correct. Because your in the Primary mode on both flashers, and the flashers are sync'ed. My recommendation is to let them run for a few minutes, maybe several minutes to make sure both flashers are on the same pattern before you program the ULF#2 (see above) for the steady burn pattern in the Override mode.

Let's say this.. Flashing lights hooked to slide switch and steady burn hooked to on/off auxiliary switch.

So if I want my flashing lights to be primary over steady burn (if I'm running steady and jump in and flip slide switch on to run code) the steady burns will start flashing..

Jul 14, 2014
NV
It's not easy to try to explain something like this on a computer screen!!!

So if I want my flashing lights to be primary over steady burn (if I'm running steady and jump in and flip slide switch on to run code) the steady burns will start flashing..

I misunderstood our orginal post, my appoligies. In the case above where you want the flashing to override the steady burn, then the primary mode will have to be steady burn (on a on/off auxilary switch) and then the secondary mode will the flashing mode (which ever pattern you decide) wired to the slide switch.

That way when your running steady (auxiliary on/off switch) parked on the side of the road, and you want to jump in and run code, flip the slide switch and it will override the steady.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Excellent....! Thanks so much for y'all help. You want to answer one more question for me while we are here. Seems you're familiar with Whelen and I'm more familiar with Sound Off. My patrol Tahoe has a Whelen InnerEdge (2012 model) and I have a new Sound Off Nforce I could use but would just rather leave the Inner Edge in place. I know the sound off bar has a seperate wire for independent cruise mode for whatever heads I want to select but how do I make a pair of two of the Whelen heads in the inner edge go to a steady burn when I activate my others? Run the steady burn flasher into the inner edge bar and connect it directly into whatever heads I want to steady??

Jul 14, 2014
NV
how do I make a pair of two of the Whelen heads in the inner edge go to a steady burn when I activate my others?

I'm assuming you want the front inner edge to go to a steady burn at the same time as the steady burn of your rear lights?

You will have to look inside the front InnerEdge and see if each light head is wired directly to the main power wire for the InnerEdge or if it goes through a flasher or other board. I don't have Whelen InnerEdge here to look at.

I'm guessing you can run a wire directly from the steady burn flasher, but I don't want to burn up your InnerEdge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.