2003 Ford Excursion XLT POV

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
From purchase until today - paintjob plus the edge makes it look like a NYS DEC Police vehicle. :popo: You should see how many fishermen pack up and leave when I pull up to the piers :2thumbs:

2003 Ford Excursion XLT 8 cyl 7.3l turbo diesel

Current outside appearance:

DOT reflective striping

Steel splash guards

Parking assist/backup camera

Sirens:

Whelen 295HFSA6

Federal Signal SmartSiren Platinum

Running on:

2x Galls 100W Siren Speaker

Current Lighting:

Whelen Edge 9000

Inner edge style visor lighting

Hide-a-ways (headlights & reverse lights)

Whelen TA837A Traffic Advisory (mounted inside lift window)

FUTURE ADDITIONS:

4x Whelen 700 series square ambulance lights as grille lighting & rear barn door lighting

2x Whelen 700 series turn signals

3x Whelen Mini Edge (RED/RED w/ TD's & ALLEY's)

2x Whelen Dual Avenger (RED/RED)

2x Whelen Avenger (RED)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I will be curious to see it when it is complete. Personally I am not a fan of an interior bar and a lightbar. Where are you planning on putting the 3 mini edge bars?

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Eric1249 said:
I will be curious to see it when it is complete. Personally I am not a fan of an interior bar and a lightbar. Where are you planning on putting the 3 mini edge bars?

On the back of the car, I may possibly just put two. one on each side. or with the 3 option, two on sides and one in middle. like the following: | _ |

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
FFEMTPKaz said:
On the back of the car, I may possibly just put two. one on each side. or with the 3 option, two on sides and one in middle. like the following: | _ |

:hopeless:

Please do not do that, that would look absolutely terrible.

Keep the Edge where it is, get rid of the visor lightbar, put two 700s in the grill, two more for intersection warning, and two more on the rear doors. Put a dual avenger in the rear side windows. Sell the halogen T/A and buy an LED replacement and mount it externally like the FDNY Battalion Chief trucks. If you want, throw some Freedom parts in the Edge.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
acala91 said:
:hopeless:

Please do not do that, that would look absolutely terrible.

Keep the Edge where it is, get rid of the visor lightbar, put two 700s in the grill, two more for intersection warning, and two more on the rear doors. Put a dual avenger in the rear side windows. Sell the halogen T/A and buy an LED replacement and mount it externally like the FDNY Battalion Chief trucks. If you want, throw some Freedom parts in the Edge.

I was thinking about that as well, BUT, if I were to open the window, wouldn't the LED bar hit the roof?

As for the visor bar, yeah, I am thinking of pulling it and putting it onto a newer vehicle once I have it in the garage.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
DO NOT MOUNT 3 MINI EDGES ON THAT TRUCK!!!

lol, now that thats out of the way....

exactly what Acala said!! ^

i like:

(2) 700s grill. (4) 700s front and rear side intersections. (2) 700s on rear doors. External TA mounted on rear above doors

take ONE mini edge, and put some freedom R corners and amber center strobes, and mount it in the center of the rear roof.

Either way, i would sell two of the mini edges, the interior light bar, the full size edge......and buy a freedom thats a little bit longer so it fits the roof of that big truck better.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Storm4200 said:
DO NOT MOUNT 3 MINI EDGES ON THAT TRUCK!!!

lol, now that thats out of the way....

exactly what Acala said!! ^

i like:

(2) 700s grill. (4) 700s front and rear side intersections. (2) 700s on rear doors. External TA mounted on rear above doors

if you MUST mount a mini edge, just mount one! (if you do this, omit the rear side 700s.)

I agree, maybe 3 mini edges is too much :eek:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
front with the freedom and 700s, and rear 700s on the doors, and the TA on the EMS battalion truck. OR, one single mini freedom

2634060720_0bf04faf41.jpg

fdny-ems-battalion-vehicle-16288141.jpg

7145013375_309e5b19c8_z.jpg

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Storm4200 said:
front with the freedom and 700s, and rear 700s on the doors, and the TA on the EMS battalion truck. OR, one single mini freedom

Correct, I know how they look, I live a few blocks from the EMS station xD

The issue is, thats a pickup with a cap. My car has barn doors and the window lol so I mean I could always try it out and see how it goes

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
just mount it a couple of inches back. look at the excursion that has that big-ass highway bar. it too has the barn door and the window.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Storm4200 said:
just mount it a couple of inches back. look at the excursion that has that big-ass highway bar. it too has the barn door and the window.

Yeah, I know. I was actually thinking about buying a highriser bar lol xD

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ok, well, what are your thoughts on a longer bar?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I agree with the longer bar after looking closer. A 55" Freedom or Edge would be the way to go, maybe even an MX.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
mout the 2 minis up front the third in the back and the long bar down the center..... you know in case you have to block a street sideways..... :D

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Jarred J. said:
mout the 2 minis up front the third in the back and the long bar down the center..... you know in case you have to block a street sideways..... :D

:uhno: lol! thats a thought tho... unfortunately i'd rather not have 50 holes in the roof of my truck :nono: lol

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I wish they didn't discontinue the excursions!!!...I LOVED driving my excursion and listening to that Diesel engine accelerate.

3 mini freedoms would look like junk. I, too, would lose the interior lightbar.

What I would do:

FRONT

--Edge (all strobe, except halogen flashing TD)

--(2) solid red 900 series in grill

--HLF

SIDES

--(4) solid red 700 series (2 for intersection and 2 mounted between C & D post)

REAR

--1 mini edge red

--2 amber 900's on barn doors

--Pair of HAWs in brake lights

I'd love to see a video with the sirens and everything activated, as well as console pics. What do you use it for in Brooklyn?...I'm guessing VAS in that area and volunteer fire in the suburbs/neighboring counties?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Jarred J. said:

:haha:

pdk9 said:
I wish they didn't discontinue the excursions!!!...I LOVED driving my excursion and listening to that Diesel engine accelerate.

What I would do:

FRONT

--HLF

SIDES

--(4) solid red 700 series (2 for intersection and 2 mounted between C & D post)

REAR

--1 mini edge red

I'd love to see a video with the sirens and everything activated, as well as console pics. What do you use it for in Brooklyn?...I'm guessing VAS in that area and volunteer fire in the suburbs/neighboring counties?

900s are too big for something like this, go with either 600s or 700s for the front and rear or 700s all around. I'd sync them all with a ULF44, flash simultaneously on signal alert in motion and single flash 60 when stopped.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
pdk9 said:

What I would do:

FRONT

--HLF

SIDES

REAR

--1 mini edge red

I will do a walkaround once I complete the job and I am a volly firefighter nearby

acala91 said:
:haha:

900s are too big for something like this, go with either 600s or 700s for the front and rear or 700s all around. I'd sync them all with a ULF44, flash simultaneously on signal alert in motion and single flash 60 when stopped.

I will def look around at all options. Thats for sure

May 27, 2013
NY
FFEMTPKaz said:
Had the option of blue/blue but nothing wrong with red's
Well techincally, red is reserved for authorized emergency vehicles so unless youre a certified fly car/emergency vehicle by nys, legally you are not supposed to have red. And the same goes for the siren. So if you plan on using those on a regular basis in nyc, and are not authorized to, id say you may run into a problem.

Im not the e-police but just giving you a heads up. I plan on putting a siren in my car soon which doubles as a control box for my lights, but the fire Dept that im starting to volley at (ems) will soon have certified emergency vehicle status for its members if their cars are part 800 compliant and will be inspected by the doh so until then i will just use the airhorn if at all... But it seems like you may be using that siren fairly regularly?

Its possible with all the hatzolah running around bk you may not get pulled over or questioned, but there is always the chance that you will. Just my. 02... again, im not trying to lecture you...Just informing you.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
FollowingNFront said:
Well techincally, red is reserved for authorized emergency vehicles so unless youre a certified fly car/emergency vehicle by nys, legally you are not supposed to have red. And the same goes for the siren. So if you plan on using those on a regular basis in nyc, and are not authorized to, id say you may run into a problem.

Im not the e-police but just giving you a heads up. I plan on putting a siren in my car soon which doubles as a control box for my lights, but the fire Dept that im starting to volley at (ems) will soon have certified emergency vehicle status for its members if there cars are part 800 compliant and will be inspected by the doh so until then i will just use the airhorn if at all... But it seems like you may be using that siren fairly regularly?

Its possible with all the hatzolah running around bk you may not get pulled over or questioned, but there is always the chance that you will. Just my. 02... again, im not trying to lecture you...

I carry a basic EMS bag, trauma bag and LifePak on board. I have my NYS EMS certificate of inspection but never placed it upon the windshield. (and :nono: I am NOT part of Hatzolah)

I do a quick "Man" to whoop someone if they aren't paying attention to the road etc, other then that, I use the A/H. Used the siren once or twice. Mainly the lights do the job of the sirens, but I use in case it doesn't.

I haven't had any problems with them on top. I was in line where NYPD where stop searching cars (asking for license etc) they stopped car in front of me, waved me thru and then stopped the car that was behind me. I've noticed that no PD look at my car when I pass by idk if they think I'm a DEC officer or what but they dont bat an eye when I come around the corner or drive past them.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
FFEMTPKaz said:
I carry a basic EMS bag, trauma bag and LifePak on board. I have my NYS EMS certificate of inspection but never placed it upon the windshield. (and :nono: I am NOT part of Hatzolah)
I do a quick "Man" to whoop someone if they aren't paying attention to the road etc, other then that, I use the A/H. Used the siren once or twice. Mainly the lights do the job of the sirens, but I use in case it doesn't.

I haven't had any problems with them on top. I was in line where NYPD where stop searching cars (asking for license etc) they stopped car in front of me, waved me thru and then stopped the car that was behind me. I've noticed that no PD look at my car when I pass by idk if they think I'm a DEC officer or what but they dont bat an eye when I come around the corner or drive past them.

:thumbsup:

As long as you're legit!

May 27, 2013
NY
FFEMTPKaz said:

I didnt say that you were hatzolah, i was suggesting that pd may think you are and leave you alone since bk is full of hatzolah. So you have a doh sticker? Given to you by the doh? Lol... It doesnt seem to me like you are allowed to run red lights by the things youre saying but hey ... i guess its really nit my business

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
FollowingNFront said:
I didnt say that you were hatzolah, i was suggesting that pd may think you are and leave you alone since bk is full of hatzolah. So you have a doh sticker? Given to you by the doh? Lol... It doesnt seem to me like you are allowed to run red lights by the things youre saying but hey ... i guess its really nit my business

I figure like this. Our lighting guy put on and wired it, nobody mentioned it was wrong colors etc, its been up and in use for months now.

As for the sticker, Got it thru the company.

I had originally planned on selling the Excursion to the FD as a flycar / Lt, or Capts car but they have a different vehicle and put mine down as a spare and told me to hang on to it for now (hence getting an 07 Pickup pretty soon )

May 27, 2013
NY
FFEMTPKaz said:
I figure like this. Our lighting guy put on and wired it, nobody mentioned it was wrong colors etc, its been up and in use for months now.

As for the sticker, Got it thru the company.

I had originally planned on selling the Excursion to the FD as a flycar / Lt, or Capts car but they have a different vehicle and put mine down as a spare and told me to hang on to it for now (hence getting an 07 Pickup pretty soon )

I would ask you what fire dept it is but im sure you want where you volly to remain private. Sounds a little suspect still lol... But hey cool for you, and for all i know i can be totally wrong and this place could have went through all the proper channels to hook you up... If the volly place gave you the authorization, any liability would be on them i guess.

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
FFEMTPKaz said:
Exactly. If they pulled strings to get it, that's their issue to deal with if something happens.

I think using that logic on the police or a judge would not be the best thing you could do. The old "ignorance of the law" thing. Is the vehicle registered in your name or a departments? I would at the least highly suggest speaking to a lawyer versed in transportation issues. The consequences of being wrong are huge...

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Firetrux said:
I think using that logic on the police or a judge would not be the best thing you could do. The old "ignorance of the law" thing. Is the vehicle registered in your name or a departments? I would at the least highly suggest speaking to a lawyer versed in transportation issues. The consequences of being wrong are huge...

Wouldn't be a bad idea actually.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The police probably wont mess with you. When they see your vehicle, most times, im sure theyre giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming youre actually permitted to use those lights.

Its all fun and games, until you get into an accident. When the other persons lawyer finds out that youre operating an unauthorized vehicle using unauthorized lights and sirens, regardless of what happened, the accident now becomes YOUR fault. I sure hope there are no personal injuries or property damage. You're opening yourself up to quite the liability if you ask me. Ignorance is not a defense. if youre using the equipment, youre expected to be aware of the laws pertaining to said equipment.

:coffee:

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Storm4200 said:
The police probably wont mess with you. When they see your vehicle, most times, im sure theyre giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming youre actually permitted to use those lights.

Its all fun and games, until you get into an accident. When the other persons lawyer finds out that youre operating an unauthorized vehicle using unauthorized lights and sirens, regardless of what happened, the accident now becomes YOUR fault. I sure hope there are no personal injuries or property damage. You're opening yourself up to quite the liability if you ask me. Ignorance is not a defense. if youre using the equipment, youre expected to be aware of the laws pertaining to said equipment.

:coffee:

I'm fully aware of that

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Oh boy. Can't wait to see how this one goes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.