2003 Ford Excursion XLT POV

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Storm is right on the liability issues. A mistake made now can last a long lifetime.

Running lights AND* siren does not make you Teflon like so many young guys think. It actually seems to draw the idiots right to you. Wait till you have driven a rig for a few years and see if you don't agree.

*note I said "and". I hear New York City is different, but I would think running code without both is asking to get raped in court.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Firetrux said:
Storm is right on the liability issues. A mistake made now can last a long lifetime.

Running lights AND* siren does not make you Teflon like so many young guys think. It actually seems to draw the idiots right to you. Wait till you have driven a rig for a few years and see if you don't agree.

*note I said "and". I hear New York City is different, but I would think running code without both is asking to get raped in court.

I can understand where you come by saying it draws the idiots lol. and yes, a mistake can cost a person dearly. But I abide by all NYS laws, if I were told hey you can't do that, I'd refer them to the dept and if needed swap for an all blue bar.

I actually was at a repair shop and a guy pulled in with an Audi and he had a NY VAS plate on it - I asked the guy "which company do you work for?" he tells me "oh I don't know you have to ask the driver, its his car." :undecided: I took a peak inside, no lighting, no EMS equipment nothing.

I said, "so he just has the plates for the hell of it?" the guy goes "yeah." :Banghead:

May 27, 2013
NY
FFEMTPKaz said:
I can understand where you come by saying it draws the idiots lol. and yes, a mistake can cost a person dearly. But I abide by all NYS laws, if I were told hey you can't do that, I'd refer them to the dept and if needed swap for an all blue bar.

I actually was at a repair shop and a guy pulled in with an Audi and he had a NY VAS plate on it - I asked the guy "which company do you work for?" he tells me "oh I don't know you have to ask the driver, its his car." :undecided: I took a peak inside, no lighting, no EMS equipment nothing.

I said, "so he just has the plates for the hell of it?" the guy goes "yeah." :Banghead:

You are basically doing the exact same thing the Audi guy is doing. Yeah you volly, but you are not abiding by NYS law.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
FFEMTPKaz said:
Our lighting guy put on and wired it

As for the sticker, Got it thru the company.

put mine down as a spare
Sounds to me like the department had the install done and got it authorized. what does the sticker say, exactly?

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
timlinson said:
Sounds to me like the department had the install done and got it authorized. what does the sticker say, exactly?

New York State Emergency Medical Services Certificate of Inspection.

Has a yellow star of life underneath it as the one below:

**NOTE** this one is an previously expired sticker that I put onto my laptop

IMG_3857.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
FFEMTPKaz said:
Well, work on it shall (hopefully) start within the next week or so

Did you ever answer who owns this vehicle? Is this a POV?

How far away from your department's response zone are you?

Where is your current unexpired inspection certificate? In my state if it is not attached to the window, or is expired even one day - it is totally useless.

Prior to doing ANY more work:

I really think you should seek legal help to determine the liability (or lack) that you are bringing to the table. The court of law does not allow for excuses.

(Did I really advise two people in one night to seek a lawyer's advice?) Guess I learned something in my old age!

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Firetrux said:
Did you ever answer who owns this vehicle? Is this a POV?

How far away from your department's response zone are you?

Where is your current unexpired inspection certificate? In my state if it is not attached to the window, or is expired even one day - it is totally useless.

Prior to doing ANY more work:

I really think you should seek legal help to determine the liability (or lack) that you are bringing to the table. The court of law does not allow for excuses.

(Did I really advise two people in one night to seek a lawyer's advice?) Guess I learned something in my old age!

Looks like your old age is also getting in the way of your memory. :D

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Question to the thread starter, why draw attention to yourself? Why not go with an "undercover" setup instead of keeping everything out in the open? Not saying you live in a questionable area, but certain parts of NYC may harbor individuals who would mistaken your truck for a police vehicle and try to damage it. Just curious.

May 27, 2013
NY
mayhemnyc said:
Question to the thread starter, why draw attention to yourself? Why not go with an "undercover" setup instead of keeping everything out in the open? Not saying you live in a questionable area, but certain parts of NYC may harbor individuals who would mistaken your truck for a police vehicle and try to damage it. Just curious.

Every part of NYC is a questionable area

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If you're running reds and a siren, however long in duration when not actually responding to a medical emergency on behalf of an ambulance service defined by the NYS Public Health Law your use of that warning equipment is illegal.

May 27, 2013
NY
CHIEFOPS said:
If you're running reds and a siren, however long in duration when not actually responding to a medical emergency on behalf of an ambulance service defined by the NYS Public Health Law your use of that warning equipment is illegal.

So basically as a volly ff there are no circumstances under which you need red lights and sirens. Youre not a volly emt, youre a volly ff.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The VTL does not require he be an EMT, only that the vehicle is "transporting emergency medical personnel and

equipment to sick or injured person", but it must be on behalf of ambulance service as defined in the Public Health Law. If his VFD is not also an ambulance service, that aint kosher, and if he's not responding as either a volunteer or paid employee of some other Public Health Law ambulance service, he aint kosher.

May 27, 2013
NY
CHIEFOPS said:
The VTL does not require he be an EMT, only that the vehicle is "transporting emergency medical personnel and
equipment to sick or injured person", but it must be on behalf of ambulance service as defined in the Public Health Law. If his VFD is not also an ambulance service, that aint kosher, and if he's not responding as either a volunteer or paid employee of some other Public Health Law ambulance service, he aint kosher.

Touche... By EMT I meant EMS. If where he vollys is just an FD, something's wrong there.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
FollowingNFront said:
Touche... By EMT I meant EMS. If where he vollys is just an FD, something's wrong there.

CHIEFOPS said:

We operate ambulances as well as fire apparatus

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
FFEMTPKaz said:
We operate ambulances as well as fire apparatus

Are you afraid to answer my questions?

They can be very relevant to your situation. If it is a department car you would probably be covered. If it is your car, you may be in big trouble.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Firetrux said:
Are you afraid to answer my questions?

They can be very relevant to your situation. If it is a department car you would probably be covered. If it is your car, you may be in big trouble.

I am the owner - FD is co-owner and vehicle is registered to them

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
This argument, again... NY© responders thinking they can run red lights & sirens when, in fact, they legally can not.

This is why we can't have nice things. :duh:

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
So essentially what you are doing is impersonation . If you do have a DOH sticker in the windshield you are required to have 3 NYS DOH stickers on the 3 sides of your car and some sort of department patch identifying your vehicle. Criminal impersonation in the first degree is a class E felony

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
FFEMTPKaz said:
I am the owner - FD is co-owner and vehicle is registered to them

I would then say again, seek competent legal advice. This is getting very messy (are you making this all up?) You risk losing your auto insurance coverage after an incident (and them denying any payments). You need to be assured legally that you do not carry any liability should something happen.

Just the fact that there are so many telling you here that you are wrong should be a huge indicator. These people know their stuff. Imagine what it will be like when you get in front of a jury...

BTW - be careful what you post things like - "From purchase until today - paintjob plus the edge makes it look like a NYS DEC Police vehicle. You should see how many fishermen pack up and leave when I pull up to the piers "

A prosecutor will have a great trial day when he finds gems like that. I also think it says volumes about your intentions here when comments like that are the first thing said in your introductory post.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Firetrux said:
I would then say again, seek competent legal advice. This is getting very messy (are you making this all up?) You risk losing your auto insurance coverage after an incident (and them denying any payments). You need to be assured legally that you do not carry any liability should something happen.

Just the fact that there are so many telling you here that you are wrong should be a huge indicator. These people know their stuff. Imagine what it will be like when you get in front of a jury...

BTW - be careful what you post things like - "From purchase until today - paintjob plus the edge makes it look like a NYS DEC Police vehicle. You should see how many fishermen pack up and leave when I pull up to the piers "

A prosecutor will have a great trial day when he finds gems like that. I also think it says volumes about your intentions here when comments like that are the first thing said in your introductory post.

I shot you a message pertaining a few things.

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
FFEMTPKaz said:
I shot you a message pertaining a few things.

My public reply to your PM (which I will not post)

Your Lt. is neither your lawyer nor your insurance company. I would touch base with both. I have never heard EVER of a department registered "POV". It is just asking for trouble. I say this as a fire department administrative officer who handles legal matters related to accidents, and insurance issues. If you hold the title, pay the loan OR the insurance on that vehicle - you, and only you, are responsible for what is on it and how you operate it.

I can only assume that you are a young man who has not dealt with any real world issues. Let me tell you those lights and the power you think they give you will mean nothing when you face a judge. I have seen it too many times.

BTW - I do not have any "secret" messages policy. Anything you say to me in a PM is fair game to go to moderators or to be posted on the forums. I prefer to do all communications through the open forum so others may learn from the conversation.

FFEMTPKaz

Jun 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Firetrux said:
My public reply to your PM (which I will not post)

Your Lt. is neither your lawyer nor your insurance company. I would touch base with both. I have never heard EVER of a department registered "POV". It is just asking for trouble. I say this as a fire department administrative officer who handles legal matters related to accidents, and insurance issues. If you hold the title, pay the loan OR the insurance on that vehicle - you, and only you, are responsible for what is on it and how you operate it.

I can only assume that you are a young man who has not dealt with any real world issues. Let me tell you those lights and the power you think they give you will mean nothing when you face a judge. I have seen it too many times.

BTW - I do not have any "secret" messages policy. Anything you say to me in a PM is fair game to go to moderators or to be posted on the forums. I prefer to do all communications through the open forum so others may learn from the conversation.

I will follow up on the matters. As for the lights , I know what responsibilities come with using them and know that there is no real power, the only power I have is to use them while responding to an emergency scene. I am not the type to run red lights in order to get to my destination quicker. I'd rather play it safe and wait.

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
I know this was asked already (sorta), but I don't think you answered it. Without giving the name of your department, are you a member of one of the few NYC volly FD's or somewhere out in LI? I know things are done differently depending where you go, but I've been a part of the game locally for almost a decade and this has me scratching my head too...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.